AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 12-25-2012, 11:29 PM

When I talked to the company on the zesto they said the so called bypass wasn't set up like a traditional bypass disabling the volume control from the zesto . I frankly thought it did also but they confused the hell out of me and I think themselves or I was ready to buy the dam thing..lol
Old 12-26-2012, 11:03 AM

I have an XP 10. It is a very good unit at that price range. I also auditioned the comparable Ayre K-5xMP and felt that it was a bit better but it didn't have a balance control (My hearing is about 1 db down in my left ear). Pass did a few "modifications" to the XP 10 that allows it to reproduce the lower range better. I am happy with the unit plan to keep it for now .

Here is a portion of an email that I recently received from Kent English at Pass.

" What you would notice with the XP-20 is a greater expanse of bass notes..... rather than bass tones. XP-20 is quieter and as such the musics physical soundstage fully develops at a lower spl with the XP-20 than the XP-10. At normal listening levels the soundstage of the XP-20 is just more organic than the XP-10.

This of course takes nothing away from the XP-10 which is a joy to use and listen too also."

So if you are interested in Pass, I suggest auditioning the XP-20. Contact one of the dealers and see about arranging for one.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Thanks everyone, I do have an XP-20 in for audition this week. Impressions so far are pretty positive. The XP-20 has a larger soundstage and more fleshed out bass than the XP-10. These were two of my nitpicks with the XP-10. I would not call it warm, but the extra bass seems to help things along. I am also getting a Wyred4Sound STP-SE in today or tomorrow. Although it is in a different price class, I was pretty impressed with this in my earlier auditions. Will be an interesting comparison.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 AM

Am interested in the compare as I am doing same with simaudio 350p vs pass xp20 at bout a third of cost.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkj View Post
Thanks everyone, I do have an XP-20 in for audition this week. Impressions so far are pretty positive. The XP-20 has a larger soundstage and more fleshed out bass than the XP-10. These were two of my nitpicks with the XP-10. I would not call it warm, but the extra bass seems to help things along. I am also getting a Wyred4Sound STP-SE in today or tomorrow. Although it is in a different price class, I was pretty impressed with this in my earlier auditions. Will be an interesting comparison.
The comparison with the wfs pre amp will be fascinating as it is supposed to be a great sounding unit.
I am very familiar with the XP-20. Quietest component I have ever heard with a large soundstage once the right columns is reached.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 PM

Just to follow up. I demoed the XP-20 and W4S STP-SE and ended up purchasing the XP-20. Both are fine products,with very different sonic signatures. The W4S has more color, more bloom, and a fuller sound. The Pass is dead quiet, smooth yet detailed, with a pin-point sound stage.

Ultimately for me the clarity and detail of the Pass won out, it made the W4S sound a bit "thick". It was a tough call as the Pass retails for 4X the cost of the W4S. If you are a tube fan looking for a SS pre I would strongly recommend the W4S - at it's price point it is a bargain.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the update still have my XP 20 on audition and having a hard time coming up with reasons to send it back as I agree with your thoughts on it. As for the comparison I think that there are all sorts of better values that perform well at those Price point but if you can afford the higher priced piece you usually get the appropriate jump in nuance and perforance
Old 01-06-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkj View Post
Just to follow up. I demoed the XP-20 and W4S STP-SE and ended up purchasing the XP-20. Both are fine products,with very different sonic signatures. The W4S has more color, more bloom, and a fuller sound. The Pass is dead quiet, smooth yet detailed, with a pin-point sound stage.

Ultimately for me the clarity and detail of the Pass won out, it made the W4S sound a bit "thick". It was a tough call as the Pass retails for 4X the cost of the W4S. If you are a tube fan looking for a SS pre I would strongly recommend the W4S - at it's price point it is a bargain.
Congrats. Thanks for the comparison

The xp-20 is a great pre amp and agree, super quiet.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 PM

I am enjoying my xp-20 and my system has clicked up a level with the addition of WW silver eclipse 6 inteconnects from the XP-20 to the MC601's. The cable has let the XP-20 perform at the level it is capable of.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugisland View Post
Thanks for the update still have my XP 20 on audition and having a hard time coming up with reasons to send it back as I agree with your thoughts on it. As for the comparison I think that there are all sorts of better values that perform well at those Price point but if you can afford the higher priced piece you usually get the appropriate jump in nuance and perforance

By the way, did you ever get a chance to compare the Calyx Femto and the Briscati DAC? Which one did you end up getting? Thanks!!