AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-30-2018, 06:16 PM

If you're planning on using an external DAC, I'd put the C-22 Commemorative Edition circa 1995 on my radar for consideration. It would be a sweet match for the Mc-60 amps. I've never owned one and it might pre-date the inclusion of XLRs if that is a consideration. But it would look great and I'd bet it performs like a champ!

http://www.roger-russell.com/preamps.htm
Old 05-30-2018, 07:32 PM

No XLR on my MC60s. At this point, if I get a McIntosh Pre, it will probably be the C2600, and eventually get a nice streamer for the internal DAC. The microRendu solution would be fine initially.

I looked again, my dad’s old pre-amp is a C30, a solid state pre-amp from that period, not a C20, I was mistaken. Partly why my tech recommended against it, as he recommends tubed pre with tubed amp.

Most people happy with the C52/C2600 DAC currently?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:35 PM

C30 is also very well regarded preamplifier and relatively rare. Extremely quiet phono stage and specs rank among the finest preamplifiers being manufactured today. Most switching is done electronically which is another plus.

So long as the amplifiers receive a quality input signal is what counts, not so much whether the amplifier is tube or SS.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:31 PM

I just purchased a C22 a few months ago--it's been wonderful. To the specific question at hand, vs the C2600--my dealer told me the only internal difference between the two was the DAC. I already had a Schiit Yggdrasil, which I assumed (without testing) was superior to the Mac's internal.

One important point is that DACs are improving a lot faster than preamps. So I think you'd be best getting the C22 (at a clearance price?) or its replacement; and biting the bullet on a Yggdrasil or similar DAC now.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I just purchased a C22 a few months ago--it's been wonderful.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:19 PM

Default Current production C22

The manual for the C22 says it uses 6 12AX7A tubes. The C2600 has 5 12AX7A and one 12AT7 (on line side). So there are some differences in the circuits. I only know cause I swapped out the line side to Gold Lion based on recommendations here.

I’ve not heard the C22. I enjoy my C2600. But use a Gumby for the DAC. The C2600 DAC seemed better than the D100, but I prefer the R2R sound from the Gumby.

Last edited by kubla36; 05-31-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I just purchased a C22 a few months ago--it's been wonderful. To the specific question at hand, vs the C2600--my dealer told me the only internal difference between the two was the DAC. I already had a Schiit Yggdrasil, which I assumed (without testing) was superior to the Mac's internal.

One important point is that DACs are improving a lot faster than preamps. So I think you'd be best getting the C22 (at a clearance price?) or its replacement; and biting the bullet on a Yggdrasil or similar DAC now.
where's a c22 for clearance?
Old 06-01-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop View Post
where's a c22 for clearance?
Assuming the earlier posts are correct that the C22 is discontinued--I assume that there are demo systems across the dealer network that are about to go on sale. Plus maybe some new units sitting in dealers' stockrooms.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:28 PM

My “local” Mac dealer (2 hours away) says the C22 is available to order. I assume there is still inventory to acquire. I am calling him tomorrow to discuss C22 vs C2600. I agree with the DAC changes still on an exponential curve, unlike the phono stage evolution.

I can totally see me with a C22 next, keeping the microRendu+BDA-3 for now, and saving up for Lumin X1, or most current, later on. I love my Roon, so Aurender is out, unless they add it at some point.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:59 PM
Retired

Sales of the C22 are likely low enough that the cost of sourcing/inventory for a different switch plus the cost of redesign, no matter how small, including a different board layout, etc., are not a good investment.

I was also told that the new C22 is pretty much the same as the C2300. As such, it will not sound very much like the original C20 or C22. There was a "commemorative edition" C22 in the mid-90s that had 7 tubes. Perhaps you could find one of those as a middle-ground. Not being a fan of built-in DACs, I think the new C22 would be an excellent match for refurbished MC60s.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 06-06-2018 at 10:03 PM.