AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Old 06-19-2014, 01:26 AM

I think Cyril's recommendations are great for a beginner who doesn't have the experience. The only thing I would add is that, if you really are a neophyte and you just want a good system to play your music, a really good dealer can be invaluable. He or she should be able to work with you to develop a synergistic system to meet your needs in your space. The good ones will come to your home, let you try out different combinations of components and speakers, and then help you dial it all in.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-19-2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
OK, I'd like to revive this moribund thread a bit. While arguments can be made regarding whether more of your budget should be spent on the source vs. more should be spent on the speakers in a system, I personally think its a good idea to try to find some synergistic balance between various components. I was just looking at one audiophile's signature on another website (both of which shall remain anonymous) and while he had about $6Gs invested in his digital front end, less than 3Gs invested in his analog front end, and less than $10Gs invested in speakers, he had over $40Gs invested in preamp/amp/cables. Go figure. So what is the best approach when you're spending your audio budget?
Don't forget that when you are checking out someone's signature, that's just a snapshot in time. It's possible the guy is working on buying 30k speakers.

Unless you have a lot of money, you buy things over time. That said, I think it makes sense to buy gear that's in the same "league". You don't power ls50's with a gryphon amp. Or power Alexandria xlf with a prima luna amp. Those are all good components, but they are in different tiers of performance.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:51 AM

I think you first need to determine/decide if you are building an ultimate system and upgrading in layers (willing to be out of balance as you optimize sections) or are you striving to buy a balanced system (and then stop upgrades a while and enjoy the music before upgrading all the sections again in balance).
Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Don't forget that when you are checking out someone's signature, that's just a snapshot in time. It's possible the guy is working on buying 30k speakers. Unless you have a lot of money, you buy things over time. That said, I think it makes sense to buy gear that's in the same "league". You don't power ls50's with a gryphon amp. Or power Alexandria xlf with a prima luna amp. Those are all good components, but they are in different tiers of performance.
Oh I more than understand about buying components over time as you can afford them and getting your system out of balance at times in the process - been there, done that, and I can still see imbalance in my own system. At this point, however the improvements and changes will be coming slower as the holes I'm plugging are becoming less glaring. The example I gave (and I really wasn't trying to pick on the person) just seemed to me to be a system that was egregiously out of balance and I was using it to be illustrative of my point.