AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 06-26-2018, 09:29 PM

Default 800 or 802 D3 sub required?

I currently have 802N with Paradigm Sub 2. Wondering if anyone has experience with either the 800 or 802 D3 with a great sub and if it’s needed. I listen mostly to music approximately 80% of the time.

Last edited by hdvidguy; 06-26-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:53 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

I don’t know the D3, but my signature 800s needed a sub (I ended up with two fathoms).

I was disappointed to need subs.

My friend has the d2 800s and he needed a single fathom as well.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 06-26-2018, 10:04 PM

If we are talking about stereo or multichannel music, I rarely ever use the subs with the 802D3s unless there is a sub signal on the recording.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:16 AM

I own 802D3. And i own a DB2D.
I can't imagine all that WOW-Sound without the Sub. It helps everywhere. It helps to make and feel a room. It does so much deep down there.

Yes, even with the 802 and 800D3 the big grin stays always in your face and your brain. You need it. A DB1D or DB2D. Nothing below.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:21 AM

I use a pair of REL subs with my set up. I was put -off when someone suggested adding a pair after having paid a princely sum for speakers. Until I had my room voiced by a professional who showed me how to read the room response using pink noise and an iPad based spectrum analyzer / microphone. It showed that when we got the response nice and flat from 200Hz upward, there was a bass dip between 80 and 200Hz. If we got that flat, the higher frequencies were off. No amount of speaker movement, wall treatments or listening chair variations made it better. The problem was a characteristic of my room dimensions. Enter the subs. By varying the volume and the cut, I've been able to get a very satisfactory measured response which has translated into a fantastic presentation of the sound.

Cincy
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management
Old 06-27-2018, 02:27 PM

I never heard the need for a sub with my 802 D3. I listen to music only, no movies.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:35 AM

Well, in terms of frequency response, it seems as if you really don't need a subwoofer as it goes very deep. The diagram already looks really great. But... The sub brings you so much more.
It brings a lot more relaxation. It brings a lot more excitement. In music, too.
You should not only assume that you only need a sub if you want to experience crashing explosions in movies. Nope.
You actually have to try it out and experience it for yourself and please don't just listen to the usual slightly plucked guitar sounds, which are totally boring anyway.
Kool & The Gang, the live CD. Just wow! Madonna's live CDs. Wow! Air. Sia. Misty Boyce. Snarky Puppy! Even normal Netflix series gain more information.

If the sub here had suddenly disappeared, the system would be a completely different one.

I bought the DB2D before the 802D3 and... Somehow... Of course, the 802D3s are awesome. No question about it. But what impresses me most is the Sub. Together with the 802D3.
Without Sub: A great cat. With Sub: An incredibly good tiger. Everywhere.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:04 PM

Kal,
I listen mostly to 2 channel music via CD or Tidal.

Running low end frequency sweeps 10 hz up to around 70hz and using a good sound meter will clue you into what you may or may not be missing. For me, w/o a sub I had a big bass bump around 45hz in my room. With the sub I’m now flat with a very small bump at 20hz. You can find frequency sweep tones on the internet for free download.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvidguy View Post
Kal,
I listen mostly to 2 channel music via CD or Tidal.

Running low end frequency sweeps 10 hz up to around 70hz and using a good sound meter will clue you into what you may or may not be missing. For me, w/o a sub I had a big bass bump around 45hz in my room. With the sub I’m now flat with a very small bump at 20hz. You can find frequency sweep tones on the internet for free download.
You can easily EQ the bass in the main speakers to eliminate room interaction and get the 802D3s flat to 20Hz. I use the subs only for 5.1 tracks or out of curiosity.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
You can easily EQ the bass in the main speakers to eliminate room interaction and get the 802D3s flat to 20Hz. I use the subs only for 5.1 tracks or out of curiosity.

Hi Kal -sorry if it’s a silly question, but how do you go about doing this?