AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 11-06-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Why is it "insane?" How many free shipping and returns do you think a company is going to accept before they cut you off? At some point companies and forums quit taking you seriously. Instead of sitting in front of your computer and blindly ordering stuff to "try out" from Crutchfield, AA, Music Direct and others or asking for opinions try getting out of the house and doing the leg work to find out what you like in person even if it means you have to drive a few miles.
Zappos has an understanding they can't sell shoes unless I feel free to try them on and return them.
There is no way in hell I'd buy from Crutchfield after reading buggs. Sure, at some point there can be a line drawn but they drew the line with his first order? Everyone here says to hear a demo in your own room, which is nearly impossible for most components with most companies. The only option is to buy than return. I'm stuck in this trap where I don't know what cables I want to upgrade with, mostly because I can't hear a demo in my system, or even multiple cables in the dealer's systems.
I lived in decent sized cities and there are very few places to hear headphone qualities above bose and beats. I moved to denver and the headphone selection really sucks. If it wasn't for RMAF being in my backyard I wouldn't own nearly as many headphones.
Listen Up is a great store, and they only have 3 headphones that are connected to a headphone amp. Focal elear, McIntosh, and a Sony. Everything else is lower tiered. Nothing is in-ear. Some of these are bluetooth.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Zappos has an understanding they can't sell shoes unless I feel free to try them on and return them.
There is no way in hell I'd buy from Crutchfield after reading buggs. Sure, at some point there can be a line drawn but they drew the line with his first order? Everyone here says to hear a demo in your own room, which is nearly impossible for most components with most companies. The only option is to buy than return. I'm stuck in this trap where I don't know what cables I want to upgrade with, mostly because I can't hear a demo in my system, or even multiple cables in the dealer's systems.
I lived in decent sized cities and there are very few places to hear headphone qualities above bose and beats. I moved to denver and the headphone selection really sucks. If it wasn't for RMAF being in my backyard I wouldn't own nearly as many headphones.
Listen Up is a great store, and they only have 3 headphones that are connected to a headphone amp. Focal elear, McIntosh, and a Sony. Everything else is lower tiered. Nothing is in-ear. Some of these are bluetooth.
I tried three orders from Crutchfield. 8 cans I think. 3 in two orders and two in one plus the Shure. So 9. However,,, I talked to one of their advisors about this issue. He agreed with me that there’s trial and error. And said not to worry about my 3 returns. I told him I would even pay a small fee if I had to return anything else and I’d like to work something out. I was totally open about this. The advisor said not to worry. We’d be able to work things out. So I ordered the Shure SE846 and Audeze lcd-2. He then contacted me and would not let me order both. He had a problem with that. And said he’d only let me order the Shure. Again he said not to worry about the return if I did that. So I ordered the Shure and dragonfly Black and Apple adapter. I hated how complex the Shure is and it was too difficult for me to use. The sound was great. I did not open the adapter or amp. I did an rma req and it went through fine. Then he told me they will not accept anymore orders from me. I contacted him and said something and he just ignored me. I contacted support and again they ignored me.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:28 PM

You guys might be interested to know that The Cable Company has multi-million dollar lending library of cables and headphones that you can try out in your own home.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
You guys might be interested to know that The Cable Company has multi-million dollar lending library of cables and headphones that you can try out in your own home.
I looked but they don't seem to have used cables for audition of any cable I'm after. They sell Shunyata but doesn't have Delta lineup. They also have Nordost but no Frey 2.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:49 AM

Where do you find headphone to rent? I don’t see any.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Why not try thecableco website? They lend high end headphones and cables and amps for 5% of the retail value of the item. You also pay for shipping and keep the item for two weeks. They are based in Philadelphia.

If you want to purchase the item, the 5% you paid goes towards the item.

It's called the The Cable Company.

Buggs said it could be a problem because of germs. I know people who rent super high end equipment from them constantly, and they never complained about germs. I believe that since this service involves lending out gear they have some kind of system in place to keep it all safe and somehow fairly clean.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:19 PM

I don’t think germs would be an issue but just it’s possible.
I don’t see anything on their site?

Welp. I filed a BBB report against Crutchfield. Their response? Lol. Only saying Nothing new at all. No response is what it was. They’re arrogant and holier then thou attitude is sickening and how they lied to me, treat me and ignore me is just wrong.

Ugh!
Wish Amazon had a cc with financing.

Anyway. The biggest issue I have with the lcd-2, lcd-x and xc and Elear is how bleeping huge they are
Old 11-12-2017, 12:44 AM

Does anyone know how to buy from Audeze.com using the Affirm in checkout? I don’t see the ability to add it during checkout or do I need an account with Audeze then it’ll let me? Affirm site says you can add it to checkout then create the Affirm account but I see no Affirm to add in checkout.

And there’s no way to contact Audeze that I know of since filing out there form on my iPhone to contact does nothing.

But. I’m trying to decide between the Audeze LCD-2, LCD-XC and Focal Elear and maybe Clear.

My reservations are that everything is open and I prefer closed. But the LCD-XC even closed is so huge just like the LCD-2. The Elear not as much. I’m not sure if I’ll be ok with open in my apartment bedroom having two fans on all the time. And the Elear is a little harsh with treble and sibilance.

Last edited by buggs1a; 11-12-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
Does anyone know how to buy from Audeze.com using the Affirm in checkout? I don’t see the ability to add it during checkout or do I need an account with Audeze then it’ll let me? Affirm site says you can add it to checkout then create the Affirm account but I see no Affirm to add in checkout.

And there’s no way to contact Audeze that I know of since filing out there form on my iPhone to contact does nothing.

But. I’m trying to decide between the Audeze LCD-2, LCD-XC and Focal Elear and maybe Clear.

My reservations are that everything is open and I prefer closed. But the LCD-XC even closed is so huge just like the LCD-2. The Elear not as much. I’m not sure if I’ll be ok with open in my apartment bedroom having two fans on all the time. And the Elear is a little harsh with treble and sibilance.
Please be aware that the wonderful Audeze LCD line for many reviewers you I'll see on YouTube, becomes too much to bare the weight of after 30 minutes.

I have tried some of the LCD headphones and loved them but did not hear the for long so I don't know first hand.

I have been told you can buy a replacement headband that bares some of the weight for you.

Also the LCD-2 being sold on the Audeze website, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here, as an LCD2 -Classic, for 600 USD with a new black color, and importantly with a new suspension headband that will hold the weight of the headphone more comfortably.

Here is what is written of them on the Audeze website...

"LCD2C - Reinventing a ClassicHoliday Special Price $599 (MSRP $799)

Since its release in 2009, our original LCD2 headphone has been an industry favorite amongst passionate listeners everywhere.

Audeze proudly presents a new take on our classic LCD2 design. The new LCD2c headphone comes with a lightweight suspension headband, special crystal-infused nylon rings, remodeled audio jacks, and features the slightly warm sound signature of the original LCD2 driver."
Old 11-13-2017, 02:33 AM

My Audezes are on the dark side - definitely not a bright sounding can. Try Hifiman.