AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Marten Loudspeakers

Marten Loudspeakers Sweden's Best

Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 AM

So my dealer left an hour ago, the kids are in bed and i can hear my new speakers for the first time.

Im listening to Stacey Kent Dreamer in Concert - which is convenient because i just saw her in live two nights ago here in Melbourne.

All i can say is that they present a startlingly palpable sound. Im hearing things jumping out from the corners of the room far beyond the boundaries of the speaker.

All those who might be concerned about the harshness of ceramic drivers and diamond tweeters - its simply not there. There is a richness even a lushness to the sound that is very different to my old Magico's - which i prefer.

Will post more later

paul
Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweg View Post
So my dealer left an hour ago, the kids are in bed and i can hear my new speakers for the first time.

Im listening to Stacey Kent Dreamer in Concert - which is convenient because i just saw her in live two nights ago here in Melbourne.

All i can say is that they present a startlingly palpable sound. Im hearing things jumping out from the corners of the room far beyond the boundaries of the speaker.

All those who might be concerned about the harshness of ceramic drivers and diamond tweeters - its simply not there. There is a richness even a lushness to the sound that is very different to my old Magico's - which i prefer.

Will post more later

paul
Paul - congratulations on your newest acquisition! I'm sure they must sound superb with your Vitus SIA-025 and CD player. With lesser electronics the ceramic midrange can be harsh, but they will reveal the fine quality of your gear. Enjoy them in good health!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:27 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Yeah, yuck, Magico S-1's. How could anyone in their right mind buy a pair of those ugly things. . . . and since they are so ugly, you'll probably be throwing them out . . .
and would you please let me know when you do . . . I'd drive a thousand miles to collect them from your trash pile.

They will certainly match any chairs I've got.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 05-03-2014, 08:02 PM

the speakers are breaking in nicely and I'm really startled by how good they sound. I know everyone says that when they buy new stuff, but some of the things that stand out are

- the quietest speakers I've ever heard. I simply can't place them at all in my room, its like the music spills out in front, behind and to the sides
- very smooth top to bottom, the sound is very seamless as it moves between the drivers
- the most textured bass I've heard from a relatively compact enclosure. Its very easy to discern individual notes from a double bass, and the different types of drums and even different drumsticks
- uncanny imaging
- great midrange, with just the right amount of warmth for me ( i came from sonus faber before i got my magico's) so that was quite important for me
- in my room which is quite small 12.6 by 14 they integrate just fine and i have one right up close to a side wall

ill post more to let you know if there are any changes as they continue to break in
Old 07-18-2016, 04:29 PM

I went ahead and picked up a pair of Marten Coltrane Tenor's:

Pardon the mess, all will be cleared up soon with just one rack in the middle of the speakers with turntable, preamp and cd player / dac.
Analog: Ear Discmaster, Redpoint Model D, VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod, Townshend Rock 7, EAR 324, VDH Grasshopper III GLA, Dynavector XV-1T, Dynavector XV-1S, Jorma Prime/Origo, Jan Allaerts, Einstein Turntables Choice, Digital: EAR Acute IV / Dac IV Preamp: EAR 912, Ray Samuels B-52 Amplifiers: EAR 890 Monoblocks, Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2SE, Almarro 318B Accessories: Stillpoints ESS Rack, Sistrum, KS Emotion Cables Speakers: Marten Coltrane Tenor
Old 07-18-2016, 05:19 PM

well done Shaz

u will love the I'm sure
Old 07-18-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaizada View Post
I went ahead and picked up a pair of Marten Coltrane Tenor's:

Pardon the mess, all will be cleared up soon with just one rack in the middle of the speakers with turntable, preamp and cd player / dac.

What a great setup and those lovely Martens and that AMAZING Townshend Rock 7 TT
Old 07-19-2016, 02:41 AM

New turntable came in today actually!

The EAR Discmaster I did a test fitting and assembling of it. Waiting to put on the arms!

Analog: Ear Discmaster, Redpoint Model D, VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod, Townshend Rock 7, EAR 324, VDH Grasshopper III GLA, Dynavector XV-1T, Dynavector XV-1S, Jorma Prime/Origo, Jan Allaerts, Einstein Turntables Choice, Digital: EAR Acute IV / Dac IV Preamp: EAR 912, Ray Samuels B-52 Amplifiers: EAR 890 Monoblocks, Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2SE, Almarro 318B Accessories: Stillpoints ESS Rack, Sistrum, KS Emotion Cables Speakers: Marten Coltrane Tenor
Old 01-08-2019, 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=pweg;603824]the speakers are breaking in nicely and I'm really startled by how good they sound. I know everyone says that when they buy new stuff, but some of the things that stand out are

Hi Paul,

Just out of interest. Are there C2’s still part of your setup as main speaker? If so, what is your verdict/thought after a long period of ownership?

I can’t stop dreaming to own a pair like that[emoji1]

Thanks

Evan (I’m in Melbourne too[emoji6])
Old 01-09-2019, 03:45 AM

no they are gone

i have Coltrane 3's now foe some time