AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 02-13-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony007 View Post
Toga, Could you share your latest thoughts on the sound characteristics of the Opus Power cord as it continues to break in? Thanks
Hi, recently I stopped the reviewer mode and concentrated more on enjoying the system sound as a whole.
So I really don't know how to report on its sound characteristics, I didn't pay much attention.
But when I removed OPUS Pc out of ARC REF40, and put one of my favorite, the Kubala Elation in its place,
A lot of enjoyment have lost. I put Opus back in within 5 minutes. That' s what has happened.

Toga
Old 02-13-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Hi, recently I stopped the reviewer mode and concentrated more on enjoying the system sound as a whole.
So I really don't know how to report on its sound characteristics, I didn't pay much attention.
But when I removed OPUS Pc out of ARC REF40, and put one of my favorite, the Kubala Elation in its place,
A lot of enjoyment have lost. I put Opus back in within 5 minutes. That' s what has happened.

Toga
Toga, nicely put. I now have purchased 2 Transparent Opus Power cords (one on my amp other on my preamp). And I have to echo your feelings.

My dealer is bringing the new Opus Source power cord by next week. Will try that on my preamp first, then phono stage and last the DAC. According to Transparent, this should be a bit better for lower power drawing pieces...

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10
Amp: Nagra Classic Amp
Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
Power Transparent Opus Power Cord (amp & pre)
Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x4), Sigma HC & Analog (x4)
Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x3)

Last edited by jfrech; 02-13-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:03 PM

I also wanted to try it on my AV Processor Marantz AV8802A too. But that means I have to remove it out of
Preamp again, which is in the signal chain even for movie, so the result will not be accurate. But it is so expensive
That I can't buy more than one. Currently my AVP is fed by PLMM1 PC.
What is the MSRP of Opus Source ? In case it might be suitable for AVP. Funny the PC costs even more than
AVP itself.

Toga
Old 02-16-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
My dealer is bringing the new Opus Source power cord by next week. Will try that on my preamp first, then phono stage and last the DAC. According to Transparent, this should be a bit better for lower power drawing pieces...
So that means there will be 2 Opus power cords? With the current one being 10 AWG, if this new one is for sources will it be a smaller guage or will what takes place in the "box" simply be different and the guage stays the same?
Old 02-16-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
I also wanted to try it on my AV Processor Marantz AV8802A too. But that means I have to remove it out of
Preamp again, which is in the signal chain even for movie, so the result will not be accurate. But it is so expensive
That I can't buy more than one. Currently my AVP is fed by PLMM1 PC.
What is the MSRP of Opus Source ? In case it might be suitable for AVP. Funny the PC costs even more than
AVP itself.

Toga
Opus Source is $5550 USD. So nearly the same price...

I have one on my DAC now and one on my phono stage. Dealer broke them in for a few days and I want to give them a few days to settle in also...

Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x4), Sigma HC & Analog (x4)
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Old 02-16-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
So that means there will be 2 Opus power cords? With the current one being 10 AWG, if this new one is for sources will it be a smaller guage or will what takes place in the "box" simply be different and the guage stays the same?
Correct, one called Opus and one called Opus Source. The Opus source is a smaller gauge and the network is also a little bit smaller. Claim is it's optimized for lower power draw components like dacs, preamps, etc etc.

In a few days I'll compare the Opus to the Opus source on my preamp...I have both now...want to make sure the newer cords are settled in...

Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
Correct, one called Opus and one called Opus Source. The Opus source is a smaller gauge and the network is also a little bit smaller. Claim is it's optimized for lower power draw components like dacs, preamps, etc etc.

In a few days I'll compare the Opus to the Opus source on my preamp...I have both now...want to make sure the newer cords are settled in...
Cool, thanks

What is the guage? I'm thinking either 14AWG or 12AWG
Old 02-16-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Cool, thanks

What is the guage? I'm thinking either 14AWG or 12AWG
I wish I could tell you, it's visibly smaller than the Opus Power Cord. About 1/3 smaller diameter. The Opus Source power cord seems to have more resolution and even more dynamics...but I am not sure if it's totally broken in yet, so don't want to make to many assertions. I have one on my dac and one on my phono stage. And yes...the Opus Source is NICE.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:43 AM

Hi, am considering purchasing a OPC source for my preamp and dac. Could you share your experience with the power cord since? They are sold at the same price as the OPC, so am contemplating which cable would be the better choice?