AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 AM

Hi Steven, I have the current Haut-Brion and had the previous Haut-Brion in my home for a couple weeks while I was waiting for my amp (thanks to Don Better). I think it was the previous version with the global feedback but not sure. I cannot remember which model I had for that short time.

At any rate, you get a superbly designed amplifier with still affordable war-time tubes (!). And this model has Lundahl output transformers (!), which are fabulous. You certainly get your money's worth here.

I think Art Dudley really nailed the differences in his review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-110-page-2. I will supplant the closing of Mr. Dudley's review, however, and add that I do have experience using this latest Haut-Brion with 100db horns and the experience is always engaging and often thrilling. You are not going to make a poor choice whichever version you seek out.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM

As a "junior member" - I find it fun to watch everyelse work out what I want to ultimately do...I started with Aurieges/Montille/Devore Super 8, now moving to Masseto/Montille/O96 (waiting is a pain). Soon I get to play the "which amp" game (I have already started the crazy thought period)...I wonder if I look in dictionary for "obsessive", if I will find my picture?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Hi Plink - Many thanks for your comments! I will read Art Dudley's review to get his perspective as well. I too am a customer of Don Better (much to my wife's chagrin). As I get closer to the time when alternative amplification for my Solovox speakers can no longer be resisted, I will arrange for an audition of the new HB. I am sure it will be fantastic. I do wish that Shindo-san had not changed the casing for the HB; the older HB was gorgeous.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondkaufman View Post
As a "junior member" - I find it fun to watch everyelse work out what I want to ultimately do...I started with Aurieges/Montille/Devore Super 8, now moving to Masseto/Montille/O96 (waiting is a pain). Soon I get to play the "which amp" game (I have already started the crazy thought period)...I wonder if I look in dictionary for "obsessive", if I will find my picture?
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upgrades!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 PM

On my third album since the swap of the Aurieges to the Masseto. Even fresh from the box, I am stunned by the improvement! Pick something, anything: clarity, depth, emotion, it is all here. To be honest, it is almost (almost, I said ;-)) enough to make me forget the upgrade to the O/96s. Naw, still want them...
Old 03-14-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondkaufman View Post
On my third album since the swap of the Aurieges to the Masseto. Even fresh from the box, I am stunned by the improvement! Pick something, anything: clarity, depth, emotion, it is all here. To be honest, it is almost (almost, I said ;-)) enough to make me forget the upgrade to the O/96s. Naw, still want them...

That cracks me up. The masseto is a fantastic piece. Congrats but the addiction never ends does it. Happy listening
MAIN SYSTEM: Shindo Masseto, (2) Accuphase A30's, Arcam DV29, Transrotor Darkstar, Jelco 750, CA DaVinci, Audience AU24SE, JL F-112, Totem Winds. Ricchard Gray OFFICE SYSTEM: Mac C26, Mac 2505, accuphase T-100, Marrantz, Technics SL1400MkII, CA 2002, Tandberg 10X, Nak 680ZX. Fried R3 signature (owned since new) HT: Arcam AVR600, Mrantz UD7007, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dali Helicon 7.0 (2) JL F-110, DAILY TV VIEWING: (In build phase)Panasonic 58" pro series Totem tribe 5.1 Arcam AVR300 (temp) DV88,Sony BR GAMING SYSTEM: Runco XP50DHD, Arcam AVR250, Dali Mentor 5.1, Xbox 360 .Too much more to list
Old 03-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Green Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Musica View Post
Hi Plink - Many thanks for your comments! I will read Art Dudley's review to get his perspective as well. I too am a customer of Don Better (much to my wife's chagrin). As I get closer to the time when alternative amplification for my Solovox speakers can no longer be resisted, I will arrange for an audition of the new HB. I am sure it will be fantastic. I do wish that Shindo-san had not changed the casing for the HB; the older HB was gorgeous.
Art captures the sound of the original Haut Brion very well in his description - i would assume the difference to new one he hears will be quite accurate as well.