AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 01-31-2012, 01:45 PM

Default My shindo story

Hi everybody I'm a newbie

Ok now my story: Three months ago I had the opportunity to test a auriege with VTL ST-150 for a weekend (thank you cdf audio). Wow what a musical revelation.
I mean I listened to the beatles revolver, and when I close my eyes I saw my father and mother who danced (I had tears in eyes).It's magic. I must say that during the Christmas party there was always the music of the Beatles.So I bought this kit.

After only three weeks I returned the Auriege to purchase the Masseto. this my story.

I'd like your response on this issue?
What I am replacing my Rockport by Devore or VTL by Shindo and which one.

Regards,
JC
Old 01-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Chief Toneologist

That's not a story yet, it's a prologue - a beginning, but a heck of a good one.

About your next move, I think you should decide whether or not you want a single-ended or push-pull Shindo amp. That will also have an impact on the speakers.

I am a HUGE fan on SET amps and the Cortese seems to have been voiced by Ken Shindo especially for me. So you know where my vote is.

Alberto
Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM

Shindoadict,

If I understand correctly, then you're looking for a recommendation for a Shindo amp. My first thought on the issue is to recommend that you review the posts under the Shindo Labs forum here.

And you might consider a thread I began on a "Complimentary Shindo Amp" that I wanted to pair with a new Shindo Pre-amp that I bought. I would also note another thread on pairing an efficient speaker with a Shindo amp done by another member.

Ultimately, though, there are numerous factors to consider. And like Alberto points out, you need to decide on whether you want SET or Push Pull. So as difficult as this may be to read, you will likely need to get in touch with a dealer and find a way to listen to some. In fact, you may even find some locals near you in Canada that have Shindo and that might allow you a listen. Just a thought.

FWIW, I've heard the Cortese and I think it is really sweet. And one day I'd like to hear the LM70's and the CQ 34's. But for now I own a pair of Sophia Electric 300B's that I am very happy with.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
Shindoadict,

If I understand correctly, then you're looking for a recommendation for a Shindo amp. My first thought on the issue is to recommend that you review the posts under the Shindo Labs forum here.

And you might consider a thread I began on a "Complimentary Shindo Amp" that I wanted to pair with a new Shindo Pre-amp that I bought. I would also note another thread on pairing an efficient speaker with a Shindo amp done by another member.

Ultimately, though, there are numerous factors to consider. And like Alberto points out, you need to decide on whether you want SET or Push Pull. So as difficult as this may be to read, you will likely need to get in touch with a dealer and find a way to listen to some. In fact, you may even find some locals near you in Canada that have Shindo and that might allow you a listen. Just a thought.

FWIW, I've heard the Cortese and I think it is really sweet. And one day I'd like to hear the LM70's and the CQ 34's. But for now I own a pair of Sophia Electric 300B's that I am very happy with.
FranklinLG thanks for the info
Old 01-31-2012, 04:21 PM

My recommendation is to first buy the speakers you like and then match the amp to the speaker. Shindo offers a wide range of amps from 8 to 70 watts so there really is just about something for everyone. All of the speakers that Matt (Pitch Perfect) offers will mate well with Shindo gear. Shindo dealers are the best resources - make sure you tap into their knowledge base.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM

You should chat with countingbackwards his lives in your neck of the woods.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 PM

JC--you're on the beginning of a beautiful journey, one that lead me deep into the Shindo kingdom as you can see from my system.

I agree with Scott--decide on the speakers first. I paired the DeVore 9's with the Cortese and the Masetto and was blown away. But John DeVore has come out with some new models that must be considered. And of course there are others to consider--you'll find many good pairings in the Shindo forum. Getting a good dealer is crucial--I use Pitch Perfect on the West Coast but there are others closer to you.

Good luck and keep us informed as the journey unfolds.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 PM

JC--Oops, just read an earlier thread and it seems you're happy with a dealer in Montreal. Wasn't suggesting you go else where...
Old 01-31-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindostevesan View Post
JC--Oops, just read an earlier thread and it seems you're happy with a dealer in Montreal. Wasn't suggesting you go else where...
Yes yes I know Coup foudre audio it's great. I talk to Danny and he should get some time in a Haut Brion and CCQ. When he received he called me for a weekend listening
Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 PM

Hi, Great voyage your on there!-- I've owned Rockport speakers-- I'd def' stay with them they are far the more musical and involving than any DeVore ones.

Des