Originally Posted by 755a View Post
Lingolab.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
Amp stand?
I bet they would make something.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:19 AM

Or you could just use the solid wood plank that Jonathan uses, or used to use...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyljh View Post
You can axe three of those, butcher block, maple and bamboo are not recommended for Shindo. High mass is important. Plywood is the right material. Isolation, especially when a turntable is used (you all use one, right?), is very important.

If you could hear the dramatic differences even the glue used to bond the plywood makes, you'd be shocked. Everything matters- screws, glue, orientation of the layers, type of ply, manufacturer of the ply (glue again) etc etc.

It takes a massive amount of R&D for something as "simple" as a rack. Tons of time, labor, materials, listening etc. not a fun product to design.

Jonathan

Last edited by junker; 09-15-2015 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:03 AM

That photo is showing the lumber that was going to be used to build a custom rack which never happened. Not my system, not my room, not my wood. That client uses a Lignolab rack. Amp stands are not the best idea, amps should be away from the speakers with the rest of the system. The whole system seems to benefit from equal tuning. All components together. Long speaker cables, short interconnects.

In my system I use two Lignolab racks. If I wasn't using Lignolab, I would be using a Box rack. Another brand of Shindo-centric racks is under development and should be available later this year. Like the Lignolab, it will be suspended and rather large.

Always depends on budget. Sadly, I'm not currently aware of an inexpensive rack that works perfectly with Shindo. I'm sure some may exist, I just haven't yet heard it. The difference the Lignolab made in my system literally made me crack up laughing. It was such an enormous improvement. I now consider it a necessity for my system and often recommend them over preamp or amp upgrades. Especially when a turntable is in use.

To answer the question about which amp stands to use... I feel none. Keep the system together. Moving the amps close to the speaker is a negative in my opinion. The rack and gear should be on the side wall or back wall.

Jonathan
Old 09-15-2015, 10:58 AM

Gotcha. Thanks for the info Jonathan! I think the Lignolab is made out solid wood(?), but they are very nice. Wood is good.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:21 AM

Lignolab is a matrix construction of plywood, very complex internally. Its isolated to 3hz.

Jonathan
Old 09-15-2015, 04:17 PM

The Timber nation stuff is all massive solid wood pieces- maple, walnut etc.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyljh View Post
That photo is showing the lumber that was going to be used to build a custom rack which never happened. Not my system, not my room, not my wood. That client uses a Lignolab rack. Amp stands are not the best idea, amps should be away from the speakers with the rest of the system. The whole system seems to benefit from equal tuning. All components together. Long speaker cables, short interconnects. In my system I use two Lignolab racks. If I wasn't using Lignolab, I would be using a Box rack. Another brand of Shindo-centric racks is under development and should be available later this year. Like the Lignolab, it will be suspended and rather large. Always depends on budget. Sadly, I'm not currently aware of an inexpensive rack that works perfectly with Shindo. I'm sure some may exist, I just haven't yet heard it. The difference the Lignolab made in my system literally made me crack up laughing. It was such an enormous improvement. I now consider it a necessity for my system and often recommend them over preamp or amp upgrades. Especially when a turntable is in use. To answer the question about which amp stands to use... I feel none. Keep the system together. Moving the amps close to the speaker is a negative in my opinion. The rack and gear should be on the side wall or back wall. Jonathan
Jonathan,
Thanks a lot.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:02 PM

Sounds like a nice rack. Solid wood is not for Shindo, however. I've tried many species. Way to strong of an "imprint" on the sound.

Jonathan
Old 09-15-2015, 11:43 PM

Jonathan,

While you're not aware of any less expensive rack options that work perfectly with Shindo - are you aware of anything that works "well enough" with Shindo up until budget permits for "perfect"? I know this is a tough question, since nothing about Shindo ever implies compromise of performance on any level, so my question perhaps goes against the ethos of the brand...but bear with me if you can.

By "well enough", I mean something that performs sins of omission rather than sins of commission.

Is it as simple as - go for plywood? "Perfect" being lingo lab or Box, but would any plywood (even bamboo or maple) be better than mdf, metal or glass? Is any well-liked rack by a hifi rack manufacturer that meets those guidelines fine for the time being?

The difficult thing I have with racks is trying to find something decent to tide me over until I eventually get the "real deal"...the one I'm using now is clearly wrong, and I'm bet could be improved for a few bucks as an interim rack.