AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Chief Toneologist

Default How many Cortese owners do we have in this forum?

My initial infatuation with the Cortese, the first time I heard it in Matt's San Francisco space proved NOT to be an infatuation.

The moment I heard it, I thought "this amp was voiced with my definition of delicious sound in mind."

Some 3 years later, it's still treating me to delicious sound 4-6 hours a day (I am lucky enough to have moved the system in my lab/workspace.)

I should add that the original F2A tubes that Matt gave me are still going strong ... by now, at the rate I am using it, most other tube amps I've owned would have required 1 or 2 replacement.

I know we have a few Cortese owners (both of the new and old version) and I was interested in getting a tally.

If you own a Cortese (or even if you used to and have moved on) let us know ... and share some of your thoughts about this amazing 10W wonder.

Alberto
Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 PM

Have one for quite some time. Magic little amp. Not the most transparent. Not the most powerful. Not the most detailed. But has that x factor when it comes to conveying the essence of the music and its meaning. Borderline hypnotic at times.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 PM

Default Cortese, but 300b

I am currently using a 300B Cortese. What a lovely amplifier. Throws a holographic sound stage even in my "real world" listening room, ie, my living room. Currently using Auditorium 23 Roiene speakers.

I have original Cetron 300bs on hand, but I am currently using a pair of Takatsuki 300b tubes. I would love to try a set of vintage Western Union 300b's but they are now crazy money.

Simon
Old 01-30-2014, 11:41 PM

Not to worry I have a dozen spare F2A's for anyone who needs them, and I count myself as a very happy Cortese owner.

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 01-31-2014, 12:54 AM

Ex Cortese owner here but I do miss it tremendously. A truly intoxicating piece of gear.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:00 AM
Green Member

+1
Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 AM

I have the newer version. Best way I can describe the sound is organic and lifelike.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
SOURCES: Analog 1 - Well Tempered Amadeus + EMT TSD15 + Lehmann Audio Decade Phonostage. Analog 2 - Thorens TD124 + Origin Live Zephyr Tonearm + Dynavector Karat 17D3 + Dynavector P75 MKll Phonestage Digital - Ayre QX-5 Twenty Amps - Nagra CLassic Amp (2) + Nagra Jazz Pre SPEAKERS - TAD CE1
Cables - Wireworld.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:07 PM

Restock,
How would you compare the Cortese to the Haut Brion?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonYVR View Post
I am currently using a 300B Cortese. What a lovely amplifier. Throws a holographic sound stage even in my "real world" listening room, ie, my living room. Currently using Auditorium 23 Roiene speakers.

I have original Cetron 300bs on hand, but I am currently using a pair of Takatsuki 300b tubes. I would love to try a set of vintage Western Union 300b's but they are now crazy money.

Simon
I must be an ignoramus, I didn't even know that there was a 300B Cortese. That's such a great tube I am not surprised it throws an amazing sound stage.

Alberto
Old 01-31-2014, 12:18 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBass View Post
Have one for quite some time. Magic little amp. Not the most transparent. Not the most powerful. Not the most detailed. But has that x factor when it comes to conveying the essence of the music and its meaning. Borderline hypnotic at times.
It definitely has an X factor. Not one that everyone would like or appreciate; but for me "X marks the spot".

Alberto