AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 02-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Default Typify manufacturers identity

Is it possible to typify manufacturers identity i.e. reputation / sound signature?

Regarding automobiles I know that a Cadilac normally is different from a Porsche and from a Fiat. Are audio brands all the same or do they have an identity?

Does anyone have an idea on what to expect from McIntosh, Burmester, Ayre, Conrad, etc.? How do you describe in two lines some of brands you know / most mentioned on this forum?

Thanks, Pedro
Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 PM
dpod4

+1
Great question. Would love to hear details from first hand experience on "house sound"
Old 02-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
+1
Great question. Would love to hear details from first hand experience on "house sound"
I guess that with automobiles is easier because we see them everyday on the street. So everyone as an opinion.

In audio only a few have experience with multiple brands. Only someone that frequently attends audio shows / dealers can answer this.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Learning to Listen

I would think many on this forum could chime in here. I would think there is a CJ sound, as there is a Naim, Bryston, McIntosh, Linn, AR, Shindo and so on. Then there is within brands, and of course SS vs tube overall.

When you go to audition and there is Naim vs Simaudio in the same price range, a good sales person should be able to explain the differences before you play one note.

The problem is the diversity of what hangs off of a amp or pre, and the ears doing the listening, I would think.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 PM

Of all the gear that I have owned the most distinctive sound was from Levinson. I can’t comment on the newer Levinson since Harmann took over but the older gear just has such a unique presentation that for my tastes was very enjoyable.

I bought my first Mac (an integrated) and have not yet found the “Mac” sound to stand out in the same way. Not that I don’t enjoy the Mac, it’s more a case of the way the Levinson could literally deliver such an eerily quiet presentation. It’s hard to explain but for a big power amplifier it could really separate and articulate every musical note with great detail.

I really like the ‘British integrated like Naim for their overall musicality but a different type of sound…the ‘brits are more toe-tapping turn it up fun.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:00 AM

What about gear that has no signature apart from what go's in is the same as out as in thats what the designer had in mind, Sanders is one such amp from my experience.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesailor View Post
Of all the gear that I have owned the most distinctive sound was from Levinson. I can’t comment on the newer Levinson since Harmann took over but the older gear just has such a unique presentation that for my tastes was very enjoyable.

I bought my first Mac (an integrated) and have not yet found the “Mac” sound to stand out in the same way. Not that I don’t enjoy the Mac, it’s more a case of the way the Levinson could literally deliver such an eerily quiet presentation. It’s hard to explain but for a big power amplifier it could really separate and articulate every musical note with great detail.

I really like the ‘British integrated like Naim for their overall musicality but a different type of sound…the ‘brits are more toe-tapping turn it up fun.
What Levinson did you have?