AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Lamm

Lamm Bringing you the magic of music

Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 AM

Default NEW - Lamm LL1 Signature

Lam's brand new flagship. Designed to match the ML3 Signature.
New Page 4

Edit: Turns out it is not "brand new." However, it is still relatively new

Last edited by TommyC; 12-17-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Against the Tide

Lamm Industries LL1 Signature Preamplifier
Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 PM

Are there two volume controls?

Why does Pseudo balanced require too long to explain? What if a customer asks about it?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 AM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

Two volume controls, and $42,690, would keep me away, unless they have a remote that adjusts both at the same time.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbrown View Post
Are there two volume controls?

Why does Pseudo balanced require too long to explain? What if a customer asks about it?
The LL1 is a 4 box, dual volume control preamp. All their preamps are dual volume control, purist designs.

My current LL2D is also a dual volume design. The dual volume itself is a non-issue for me, it actually comes in handy every once in a great while when the recorded music is not exactly centered and you can "walk" the center image to center it with the dual volume controls. The bigger issue is if one can live without the remote control rather than there are two knobs to adjust. I have no problems with no remote control, I am not that lazy and I've owned plenty of gear before without remotes so it is nothing new to me.

As far as balanced and Lamm, Vladimir is not a big fan of balanced although some balanced inputs appear on some gear for convinience sake. It has to do with the associated circuitry that needs to be in the signal path for balanced and conversion of single ended to balanced and Vladimir being a purist.

My Lamm M1.2s have both and I've used both with various preamps. Obviously in combination with my Lamm LL2D, I have to use single ended and it sounds fantastic. I actually have less issues with LL2D in combination with the EAR324P phono stage with single ended while the balanced run to Ayre KX-R is much noisier for some reason. I am not sure if it's the Ayre or the EAR phono that is at fault with the balanced scheme..

If you are going to spend $42k on Vladimir's LL1, I am sure he will take all the time you need to explain it to you why he doesn't like balanced. I've actually spoken to and emailed Vladimir on a few occassions and he is very responsive and helpful.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Oh no, not more Critical Mass System racks
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:05 PM

I currently have Lamm M1.2s with a Audio Research Ref 5 which I enjoy. I'm just wondering if I had the new Lamm 2.1 Pre if it would improve my system... Any advice? Has anyone compared Lamm Pre/Lamm M2.1a to Audio Research Ref 3/5 with Lamm
M1.2s?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 PM

Viper, I find the synergy between the LL2D and M1.2s to be simply magical. There are some things my Ayre KX-R preamp does better, specifically it is a bit more resolving and transparent overall with better frequency extremes but the LL2D simply makes you forget everything related to HI-FI and just sit there totally immersed in music. It is also able to recreate the space and depth a bit better along with better image density, a trait of tube regulated power supplies from what I understand. That's not to say the Ayre KX-R is too analytical or hyper detailed, it is not, it is one of the very best SS preamps I have experienced to date. The tubed LL2D gives up a bit here and there but it never leaves you wanting more since it makes the music sound even more organic, wholesome, rich in harmonic structure and texture and ultimately very enjoyable and pleasing to the ear.

The ARC Reference 5 is no doubt a great preamp but I'd suggest you try to audition the LL2.1 or even the older LL2D with your M1.2s to see if the synergy of Lamm/Lamm strikes a chord with you.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:21 PM

I know it probably won't happen... but I sure wish that LAMM would make an integrated amp.

I would buy one and be done forever!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 AM

PHC1 thanks... I will try to see if I can get a loaner. If I can, I'll report back the results.