AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 02-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Well, rather than start another thread, as we have one here, last week I bought some brand new, unused Genalex Gold Lion 12AU7s and 12AX7s from Don Battles (he's gone SS, so no longer needs tubes).

The component I use 12AU7 and 12AX7s in is my EAR 834P tube phono stage, which uses three tubes. Up to this point, I've been running a cryo'd RCA "clear top" 12AU7 in the front-most socket, and Psvane 12AX7s in the two rear sockets. Overall, as I posted above, I was very happy with this setup.

Started out by replacing the RCA "clear top" 12AU7 with the GL 12AU7, and noticed a richer and fuller sound. Very sweet and musical; the RCA is a bit more neutral. I'm not sure that which tube has more detail, it's pretty close, so I plan to some more comparisons between the two 12AU7s, both are very good, but slightly different.

I listened to that setup for about a week, and then last night, I popped in the GL 12AX7s...

Wow! Much fuller, deeper, more expansive soundstage and presentation, and a sweet luciousness to the mids and an absolutely beautiful top end. It seems that I have a more liquid, smoother yet more detailed sound and presentation at the same time. I only had about 2 hours on these tubes before going to bed, but the system sounded BLOODY FANTASTIC with them in the little EAR last night.

Summing up, I agree with Jeff Whitlock's statements, the Psvanes are good, but he's right, compared to the GLs, the Psvanes are a bit crispy on the top. With the GL's you get more detail yet it is smoother, more liquid and mellifluous as well. These are keepers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-18-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:56 PM

Stephen...nice review and comments. The Gold Lions have a musical presentation to them that's hard to beat.

Dave
Old 02-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1 fan View Post
Stephen...nice review and comments. The Gold Lions have a musical presentation to them that's hard to beat.

Dave
Yup, going to spin some LPs soon here with them again with the CT-5 in the system. Gonna spin up some Bill Evans because Lucky the Cat likes Bill.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-18-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat

Yup, going to spin some LPs soon here with them again with the CT-5 in the system. Gonna spin up some Bill Evans because Lucky the Cat likes Bill.
Stephen...keep me updated on the sound, Lucky has good tastes in music...

Dave
Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Dave, check the What are you spinning? thread...and guess who's trying to sit on me and the laptop while I try to type?

The Luckmeister!

Bill comes on, and Lucky comes out for a listen...okay, I am going to have to put the laptop down so Lucky can cuddle properly....he's being pretty insistent.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:15 AM

Stephen...cats and music is a combo that's hard to beat...

Dave
Old 02-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Yup!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 AM

My old Pre Amp used 12AX7's and here are my thoughts regarding GL and Psvane.

I found the GL to have good midrange, but lacking good bass control with the top end a
little too rolled off or laid back for my tastes. I have found the Psvane 12AX7 to sound better in my room and my rig. YMMV. It is nice to have two great new production tubes available to us, so try out both and see which you like better.