AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 10-28-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbmd View Post
Hello- does anyone have experience with the Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors-mine have been made and are being shipped couldn't afford(at least according to my CFO) the Calibres but I am hoping they are close to being as "butt kickin'" as the Calibres.
would be interested as what speaker stands i should consider their height etc
thanks bobbmd
Yes, it still Boggles My Mind why Legacy doesn't make stands for their monitors.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 10-28-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Yes, it still Boggles My Mind why Legacy doesn't make stands for their monitors.

Ron
True but they say it's not part of their core competency and there are many quality vendors already out there.

Personally I like the approach that TAD takes for their CR1s much more, matching SOTA stands for SOTA speakers, the combination looks amazing and sounds even better.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:55 PM

It made me nuts to pay for the “separate” TAD stands, but I’m over that and just enjoying now. I just feel better knowing that the speakers were engineered for these particular stands and vice versa.

But, hey, if it works - I suspect you can save lots of money!
Old 10-28-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
It made me nuts to pay for the “separate” TAD stands, but I’m over that and just enjoying now. I just feel better knowing that the speakers were engineered for these particular stands and vice versa.

But, hey, if it works - I suspect you can save lots of money!
With owninf the R1s, you saying you are over it is the understatement of the year! [emoji16][emoji1787][emoji3]
Old 10-28-2019, 09:33 PM

I’ve got another seven months before I can even break the R1s out (when the room is done).

Right now, absolutely loving the CR1s in a much better room here in the rental. When I get my own room custom built for this purpose, plus the R1s, it’ll be just ... wow.

Now, back to the legacy’s.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbmd View Post
Hello- does anyone have experience with the Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors-mine have been made and are being shipped couldn't afford(at least according to my CFO) the Calibres but I am hoping they are close to being as "butt kickin'" as the Calibres.
would be interested as what speaker stands i should consider their height etc
thanks bobbmd
Well I'm sure you have them by now, but I have the Studio HD's as well. They are my office speakers at my office at the school I work at. And, yes they totally kick butt! Bass is a bit anemic since you can only get so much from the small enclosure, but they can take a beating just like the Calibre's and they image soooo nicely as well! They just won't be able to give you the same overall SPL nor bass response that the Calibre's do --- they are Studio HD's on steriods!

If I'm not mistaken, B.Dudleston puts a HPF on them (the Studio HD's) so they cannot be forced all that easily to reproduce content below about 45Hz, which is a good idea, because the more the cone moves the more THD/IMD you will get up top near the Xover frequency which is no bueno.

I use some stands from Amazon, and even though they are rated at 30lbs each, I reassembled them with carpenter's wood glue, and they hold up the 50lbs Calibre's just fine

Perfect for listening at couch-height!

Old 05-19-2020, 12:02 PM

Oscar, if you’re ever in the experimental mode, try placing them in different locations and see what happens to the bass, Not as a permanent position just as an experiment. when I heard them the bass was amazing from something so small. You can use some chairs or something like that.... the only reason I don’t have a pair is because I couldn’t find a stand that I personally would have been satisfied with, but I like them a lot.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:20 PM

ATC2, what were you looking for in a stand?
Old 05-22-2020, 01:37 PM

Basically choices, someThing that would hold the speaker safely and would look appealing to me. It has an unusual shape with a deep bottom towards the rear, most stands are designed for the average box shape. Custom build was my best choice, I just didn’t want to fuss with it. Still I feel that they you get big speaker sound from a small speaker.