AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 10-01-2020, 11:12 PM

Default Koetsu Rosewood Standard vs. Lyra Kleos

I'm wondering if anyone has heard both of these cartridges.

I currently own the Koetsu Rosewood Standard, but have since upgraded my speakers from Tyler Decade D2 to Sonus Faber Olympica III. The Koetsu has performed very well in both systems, but I have to admit it was a bit nicer on the D2's as they were a bit more clinical and needed the mid-range warmth more than the SF's do.

I'm left wondering if a more detailed cartridge wouldn't be the ticket. I like warmth, but not at the cost of detail. From reviews, the Kleos seems like it may strike a balance for me. Should I ride out the Koetsu and have it rebuilt into a Rosewood Platinum when the time comes? Other choices?

I'd be running it through my trusty McIntosh C2600 and mounting it on my Project Xtension 10.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Old 10-01-2020, 11:46 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjryan View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has heard both of these cartridges.

I currently own the Koetsu Rosewood Standard, but have since upgraded my speakers from Tyler Decade D2 to Sonus Faber Olympica III. The Koetsu has performed very well in both systems, but I have to admit it was a bit nicer on the D2's as they were a bit more clinical and needed the mid-range warmth more than the SF's do.

I'm left wondering if a more detailed cartridge wouldn't be the ticket. I like warmth, but not at the cost of detail. From reviews, the Kleos seems like it may strike a balance for me. Should I ride out the Koetsu and have it rebuilt into a Rosewood Platinum when the time comes? Other choices?

I'd be running it through my trusty McIntosh C2600 and mounting it on my Project Xtension 10.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Do whatever is least expensive. My guess is that would be upgrading the Koetsu.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:33 AM

Default Koetsu Rosewood Standard vs. Lyra Kleos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Do whatever is least expensive. My guess is that would be upgrading the Koetsu.

Solid advice - I will definitely be doing a cost comparison on the rebuild vs. selling the Koetsu and replacing it. Patience would need to come into play, too. As I understand it, it takes about 8 weeks to rebuild the rosewood standard.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:37 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Solid advice - I will definitely be doing a cost comparison on the rebuild vs. selling the Koetsu and replacing it. Patience would need to come into play, too. As I understand it, it takes about 8 weeks to rebuild the rosewood standard.
Yes, I had mine rebuilt some years ago. It's a complete ground-up rebuild, so effectively a brand-new cartridge in all respects.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:23 PM
Retired

Cannot comment on the Koetsu, but am very fond of the Kleos for its detail. For the best mix of detail without losing any warmth, the Ortofon Cadenza Black is my favorite. I can see their A90 or A95 in my future.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-02-2020, 02:24 PM

You may also want to consider purchasing a dedicated phono preamp instead of using your c2600. When I had a Lyra Kleos, I noticed a huge improvement going into a dedicated phono preamp over using my C2300 or C1100.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 10-02-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Cannot comment on the Koetsu, but am very fond of the Kleos for its detail. For the best mix of detail without losing any warmth, the Ortofon Cadenza Black is my favorite. I can see their A90 or A95 in my future.
I've had Ortofons in the past and have liked them a lot. I've never heard a Lyra, though. They get great reviews, but some have said they trend toward accuracy vs. intimacy. Does that track with your experience between the Kleos vs. the Ortofon?
Old 10-02-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
You may also want to consider purchasing a dedicated phono preamp instead of using your c2600. When I had a Lyra Kleos, I noticed a huge improvement going into a dedicated phono preamp over using my C2300 or C1100.
I think my rabbit hole may be limited to the cartridge on this journey, I agree, though. While my C2600 is better to my ears than my prior Musical Surroundings Phonomena II, I know there are better out there.

Don't even get me started on separate DACs vs. the C2600,
Old 10-02-2020, 10:16 PM

rjryan, I was mentioning an updated phono preamp since you may be able to keep your existing cartridge with better sound. You should be able to get a pretty good phono preamp for the cost of a $3,700 Lyra Kleos.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 10-03-2020, 06:02 AM
Retired

Quote:
I've had Ortofons in the past and have liked them a lot. I've never heard a Lyra, though. They get great reviews, but some have said they trend toward accuracy vs. intimacy. Does that track with your experience between the Kleos vs. the Ortofon?
Yes. I would say your 'accuracy vs. intimacy' would be a reasonable descriptive comparison with neither being overbearing in either dimension. Both provide excellent sound. As a classic jazz listener bass and lower-mids have a bit more depth with the Ortofon while the upper half of the sound has a bit more clarity with the Lyra. Both are excellent, but different.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag