AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 09-01-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Amadave - all good options mentioned above. Are you open to lightly used gear? If so, a NM condition Audio Research Reference 2 SE would be awesome. Comes in both black and silver and sounds amazing. I had one last year I sold for around $5,000 so that would leave you with some room for a nice cartridge if you were to find a nice deal.

- Buck

Any thoughts on Audio Research PH7 phono amp? I saw a used one with a dealer I’ve used n the past.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:24 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadave View Post
Any thoughts on Audio Research PH7 phono amp? I saw a used one with a dealer I’ve used n the past.
I don’t have any direct experience with the PH 7. I would imagine it’s a fine sounding piece but it is getting a bit on the old side now. One other thing to keep in mind is that it doesn’t have a high and low gain setting.....it only has one gain setting at 57.5 dB. That may not be optimal for many MC cartridges out there. Having the higher gain setting would open up a wider variety of cartridges and could possibly prevent upgraditis in the future!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-04-2020, 04:08 PM
Retired

My preference is for using a SUT for LOMCs. As a Cary fan, I found their PH302II a terrific tube phono-preamp with its flexible loading and the fact that it uses a nice built-in SUT from K&K. When I purchased my Cary preamp the PH302II became redundant. So, I simply purchased a stand-alone K&K SUT and am good to go.

As for a cartridge, I am a big fan of Ortofon and think I prefer my Cadenza Black by a small margin over the Lyra Kleos. Think my next cartridge will be their A95.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 09-09-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
My preference is for using a SUT for LOMCs. As a Cary fan, I found their PH302II a terrific tube phono-preamp with its flexible loading and the fact that it uses a nice built-in SUT from K&K. When I purchased my Cary preamp the PH302II became redundant. So, I simply purchased a stand-alone K&K SUT and am good to go.

As for a cartridge, I am a big fan of Ortofon and think I prefer my Cadenza Black by a small margin over the Lyra Kleos. Think my next cartridge will be their A95.

Any thoughts on Koetsu Rosewood cartridges? My dealer recommended the Rosewood Signature.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:01 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
It's a nice phonostage and entre to the Audio Research sound with its excellent spatial characteristics, texture, and harmonics. It will not sound like solid state. Having tried it with a 0.48mV Transfiguration Orpheus, I think it should drive the Rosewood Signature (0.4mV) without problem, but probably not an output lower than that.

Here's my PH7 review from 2006 and my 2010 ARC Ref Phono 2 review which includes comments on the PH7. From the ARC Ref Phono 2 and forward, those units use the 6H30 tube instead of the familiar 6DJ8 found in the PH-7. The 6H30 is a bit drier and thus a wee bit closer to a SS sound. An ARC Ref Phono 2 or Ref Phono 2SE would also serve well though probably at twice or more the price on the used market. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:03 PM
Retired

Quote:
Any thoughts on Koetsu Rosewood cartridges? My dealer recommended the Rosewood Signature.
While I've listened to a couple at a dealer I visit occasionally and found them to be very nice, I've not owned, so cannot comment further other than to guess that one would make an excellent addition.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-28-2021, 04:07 PM

Default Phono pre Amp

B.T.W. In the meantime, more and more vinyl lovers are acquiring a taste for transformers and matching phono stages. This german AS community member combines his Phasemation transformer T-550 with the AS Phonolab PRO from Audiospecials in the 16KOhm setting at the MM input. The Ortofon SPU Classic GME comes more alive with this low Impedance he reports. But he also uses some other Cartridges that need low impedanzes. I asked him, what amping do you use?
Devialet, it works great. This chrome beauty I like for its look, too. Devialet is from France I mean?

keep swinging
groovemaster