AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 08-31-2020, 08:27 PM

Default Cartridge / Phono Pre-amp Recommendations

Currently, my system has a Rega RP10 turntable with the original Apheta cartridge with a Rega Aria phono pre-amp. I find the sound lively and very forward. Looking for some options for a more relaxed and natural sound. I am not opposed to tube based options.

My budget would be $5,000 to $10,000 for both. My amp and pre-amp are McIntosh MC452 and C50, respectively. Speakers are Rockport Atrias.

Last edited by Amadave; 08-31-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:50 PM

I have the Modwright PH 9.0 and very happy. It’s a tube preamp. 4400$Can.
I find it very naturel, nice high, more than my ex Simaudio 310LP + 320S
I have a Rega P8 and an Apheta 2.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:09 PM

Have you tried the phono setting of the C50? How does that compare to the Rega? What do you like about the Rega sound? Personally, given the sound you indicated you wanted and your system, I would update you Cart and Phono. I would get the McIntosh MP1100 phono (used if you can find it) and put the rest towards a new cart. Lots of options in the $3-4K range which would par nicely w the Rega and Mc phono.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmoke View Post
Have you tried the phono setting of the C50? How does that compare to the Rega? What do you like about the Rega sound? Personally, given the sound you indicated you wanted and your system, I would update you Cart and Phono. I would get the McIntosh MP1100 phono (used if you can find it) and put the rest towards a new cart. Lots of options in the $3-4K range which would par nicely w the Rega and Mc phono.

Originally, I liked the forward sound, but it was before I heard any tube equipment. Even though I have not made the switch to tubes in my system, I found the tube sound more to my liking. I have experimented with using the phono preamp in the C50, but didn’t like the sound. It seemed too muted to me.

For what it’s worth, the tube equipment I preferred were BAT and VTL. I thought Audio Research sounded closer to SS than the others. I have never heard an all Mac tube system.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:53 AM

Regarding the cartridge, the Rega Aphelion is a logical upgrade from the original Apheta. Smoother and more balanced than the Apheta without sacrificing detail. For that matter, the Apheta 2 is a nice upgrade from the original, and is smoother than the original. For phonostage you might look at the Zesto Andros 1.2.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 09-01-2020, 01:48 AM

Default Cartridge / Phono Pre-amp Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Regarding the cartridge, the Rega Aphelion is a logical upgrade from the original Apheta. Smoother and more balanced than the Apheta without sacrificing detail. For that matter, the Apheta 2 is a nice upgrade from the original, and is smoother than the original. For phonostage you might look at the Zesto Andros 1.2.

I am very keen to try a Zesto Andros 1.2, but no UK distribution. George and Carolyn Counnas have been very helpful in the past, but we are still to find a way around this problem.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 09-01-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your thoughts. I will look into these options.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:30 PM
Go Dawgs

Amadave - all good options mentioned above. Are you open to lightly used gear? If so, a NM condition Audio Research Reference 2 SE would be awesome. Comes in both black and silver and sounds amazing. I had one last year I sold for around $5,000 so that would leave you with some room for a nice cartridge if you were to find a nice deal.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-01-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Amadave - all good options mentioned above. Are you open to lightly used gear? If so, a NM condition Audio Research Reference 2 SE would be awesome. Comes in both black and silver and sounds amazing. I had one last year I sold for around $5,000 so that would leave you with some room for a nice cartridge if you were to find a nice deal.

- Buck

Certainly open to quality used gear. Most of my system has been built with demos and floor model equipment. Only a couple of pieces were new.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:51 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
I'll second the recommendation from Tony on the Zesto Andros 1.2 for a phono stage.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.