AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Old 06-07-2009, 01:24 AM

Yes, just a 1/2 mm can make a difference, every cart react differently though. I like the tail about 1/2mm high on my AvanteGarde Magnum.........remeber that when you change VTA you need to redu VTF
Old 06-07-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
Yes, just a 1/2 mm can make a difference, every cart react differently though. I like the tail about 1/2mm high on my AvanteGarde Magnum.........remeber that when you change VTA you need to redu VTF
Yep, I checked everything again after the new VTA and cartridge realignment since the tonearm stem seemed like it moved a tiny bit after the VTA change. The VTF was off by .06 grams so I readjusted that as well. Sounded even better after everything.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
Serge, If you didn't already know this but tail up = more high freq and tail down gives you more bottom end.......set level for a few days as the cart will need to settle in a bit then raise or lower to your liking, you will need to reset your VTF every time you make a VTA adjustment. Have fun
I figured that was the case as that is what I heard immediately. Cool..
Old 06-07-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I figured that was the case as that is what I heard immediately. Cool..
Nice pick up Serge, somewhat surprised by your lower priced choice and MM cartridge, but considering the $$ you have spent recently maybe a wise choice . If it sounds better than your CD, even better.

BTW, what MM phono stage are you using?

cheers Shane
Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Default Fremer's Setup Disk

PHC1,

Did you find Fremer's setup disk helpful for the ClearAudio. The blurb I read on the disk says he takes viewers through the Pro-Ject RM-5, a Rega P5 and a VPI Scoutmaster. Were these all similar enough to be helpful?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Here is a nice accessory for your table...........

Last edited by Removed; 03-29-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Nice pick up Serge, somewhat surprised by your lower priced choice and MM cartridge, but considering the $$ you have spent recently maybe a wise choice . If it sounds better than your CD, even better.

BTW, what MM phono stage are you using?

cheers Shane
This table/cart was bought as a "practice" rig. Considering how many times I ripped it apart and put it back together already, I guess that was the right call on my part. I feel I can now approach a much more expensive table/cart with much more confidence.

The phono stage is the Bellari Ross V129 for a cool $250. I have the EAR 324 on order and I'll give that a shot in my main system.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
PHC1,

Did you find Fremer's setup disk helpful for the ClearAudio. The blurb I read on the disk says he takes viewers through the Pro-Ject RM-5, a Rega P5 and a VPI Scoutmaster. Were these all similar enough to be helpful?
I did watch both DVDs, I can tell you that if you never setup a table before, this will at least give you an idea what's involved. If you have, you probably don't need them. Keep in mind that I had no idea what's what, terms like VTF, VTA, overhang, offset and especially geometry were all foreign to me. The DVD inspired me to do more research until I began to understand those terms, the rest is practice and more practice...

I am picking up a VPI Typhoon that I found locally and that will be a new learning phase for me, cleaning records. I've spoken to Jeff at A/V Solutions and he is really helpful so I may have to pick his brain some more on cleaning fluids and methods, etc...

Last edited by PHC1; 06-07-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:00 PM

What little I knew about setup, I have long forgotten. I'm considering a ClearAudio from Jeff also. I'm a bit intimidated by this whole setup routine, and mostly I want to experience decent vinyl again without ruining the records I have.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
What little I knew about setup, I have long forgotten. I'm considering a ClearAudio from Jeff also. I'm a bit intimidated by this whole setup routine, and mostly I want to experience decent vinyl again without ruining the records I have.
It is really not difficult with this Clearaudio table. There aren't many parts to the table. The cartridge setup is really much easier if you get a Feickert protractor which you can then use on any table... I am sure Jeff can help you out with any questions. I say, go for it!!!