AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 01-28-2012, 02:32 AM

Hi all. New here. Cant post my own thread yet, so here goes. Looking at similar speakers closer to 15-22k range and have short listed Revel Salon2 and Martin Logan Summit X (Myles: our mutual friend Rick Jensen loves your summits and recommended I hear them. Glad I did!). I also like the B&W 802Diamond, but need to hear them at length. Last ones left to hear are probably Wilson Sophia 3 and Legacy Whisper XD (very interested in hearing the Legacy! Sounds like it might be a good choice for me). Local dealer did say the Martin Django is coming soon and that has gotten rave advances, so will try to listen if I can. If I had to buy today, it would be the Revel Salon2. Regards..Jeff
Old 01-28-2012, 12:44 PM

Welcome Jeff!

All very nice speakers. I listened to some on your list and bought the Salon 2s. However, I also really liked the Sashas and Sophia 3s. Not so much the Sophia 2s.

Keep us posted!

Mike
Old 01-28-2012, 01:14 PM

Thanks Mike. Im struggling a bit between accuracy and warmth. Coming form B&W 803N's, I do like that "BBC hump" in the upper bass/lower midbass. The Revel is amazingly accurate (if Im using that term correctly), deep and detailed without a hint of glare or harsness. It also images great, which I love. It really is almost flawless, as reported in the press. The Summit actually does the holographic, palpable imaging thing, which I love, better than any speaker I've ever heard. The midrange detail and the pronounced highs on anything metal (cymbals, highhats, triangles, etc) is incredible. Again, best I've heard. However, it didnt quite do piano texture right, and for reasons I can't put my finger on yet, it didn't move me (perhaps the greatest flaw after all). I was wowed by the sound, but not moved. I found myself occasionally distracted and not toe-tapping. I need to go hear them again. I also think maybe I need to throw a warmish speaker like the Sonus Faber Elipsa into the mix. Heard it once, and only with one cut, and it sounded overly ripe and full, with performers sounding like giants. Need to hear it set up right to judge for sure. Thanks for indulging my ramblings.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
Hi all. New here. Cant post my own thread yet, so here goes. Looking at similar speakers closer to 15-22k range and have short listed Revel Salon2 and Martin Logan Summit X (Myles: our mutual friend Rick Jensen loves your summits and recommended I hear them. Glad I did!). I also like the B&W 802Diamond, but need to hear them at length. Last ones left to hear are probably Wilson Sophia 3 and Legacy Whisper XD (very interested in hearing the Legacy! Sounds like it might be a good choice for me). Local dealer did say the Martin Django is coming soon and that has gotten rave advances, so will try to listen if I can. If I had to buy today, it would be the Revel Salon2. Regards..Jeff
Also consider the Dynaudio Confidence C2.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
However, it didnt quite do piano texture right, and for reasons I can't put my finger on yet, it didn't move me (perhaps the greatest flaw after all). I was wowed by the sound, but not moved.
Jeff...welcome to AA The above is the most important attribute to pay attention to. Forget all the hifi attributes of a speaker/component because if it does not pull you in emotionally you will have wasted your money and the itch to change will soon follow. By all means give it a listen again but if you get the same reaction, I would move on. You just described my reaction to Magico speakers. I am impressed by them and recognize their excellent sonics, build, and engineering but they just don't move me.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
[B] You just described my reaction to Magico speakers. I am impressed by them and recognize their excellent sonics, build, and engineering but they just don't move me.
Excellent post, Cyril.

You just summarized my feelings about Magicos as well as Wilsons (sorry, gang, nothing personal; it takes all kinds to make a world). I'm more in the British/Danish camps when it comes to speakers, though I do like Avalons. And the TADs, of course.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:23 PM

Cyril, you're absolutely right. Puma, I have not heard them yet, but have read that the new Sasha's are warmer. Not sure about the new Sophia 3, but they seem to be getting good reviews as well. I'm a little afraid of the Wilson "head in a vice" sweetspot. The Salon2 and the Whisper apparently have a wider sweet spot (maybe even much wider).
Old 01-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Cyril, you're absolutely right. Puma, I have not heard them yet, but have read that the new Sasha's are warmer. Not sure about the new Sophia 3, but they seem to be getting good reviews as well. I'm a little afraid of the Wilson "head in a vice" sweetspot. The Salon2 and the Whisper apparently have a wider sweet spot (maybe even much wider).
I've only heard the Sophia 2s and the Alexandrias and the Maxx3s...I should arrange a listen to the Sashas, as my local dealer in Berkeley is a Wilson dealer. At the CA Audio Show, they were using Maxx3s with Spectral, and the combo drove me out of the room in less than 5 minutes. I went across to the MBL room and it was like a breath of fresh air. The other issue I hve with the big Wilsons (Maxx and Alexandria) is they are really ugly. Of all the Wilsons, I think the Sashas are most attractive.

I'm familiar with the "head in a vice" sweet spot phenomenon, the Green Mountain time-coherent speakers are like that. In fact, Green Mountain gives their customers a string device with sticks on the end that you are supposed to put in your ears to get them time-aligned correctly. One of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-29-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:53 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
.. the Green Mountain time-coherent speakers are like that. In fact, Green River gives their customers a string device with sticks on the end that you are supposed to put in your ears to get them time-aligned correctly...
:Speechless:
Old 01-29-2012, 12:56 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

I'm familiar with the "head in a vice" sweet spot phenomenon, the Green Mountain time-coherent speakers are like that. In fact, Green River gives their customers a string device with sticks on the end that you are supposed to put in your ears to get them time-aligned correctly. One of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.
Did they also provide a complimentary tin-foil hat?