AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 08-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Default Sidewall reflections with near field listening

Hi friends.

My dedicated room is 12w x 14L x 8h.
If my speakers are 3ft from sidewalls, 5ft from rear wall and 6ft apart, how concerned am I about sidewall reflections.
I’m 3 ft out from back wall with absorption panels behind me and behind speakers.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiezaffa View Post
Hi friends.

My dedicated room is 12w x 14L x 8h.
If my speakers are 3ft from sidewalls, 5ft from rear wall and 6ft apart, how concerned am I about sidewall reflections.
I’m 3 ft out from back wall with absorption panels behind me and behind speakers.
Toe in?
Old 08-12-2011, 03:51 PM

Hi Bill,
Yes, toe in centre point to just behind me..give or take.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:12 PM

So you have a triangle going where you are sitting 6 ft from the center line between the speakers and they are 6 ft apart with some toe in. I am not an expert on SF speakers but I know my Thiels need the listener to be at least 8ft away for the sound to integrate across the drivers. I am sure Bill (Metaphacts) can chime in whether the the Cremona Ms need a minimum distance from the listener.

Do you feel like the sound is not detailed/resolved? Or is the imaging/soundstaging not as you have heard it in other setups? Or do you like what you are hearing but are asking just in case?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:23 PM

You can dampen the first sidewall reflection with a couple 3x5 rugs found on your local Craigslist. The 90's vintage cheap sculpted chinese ones have good mass. Someone's always lookin' to unload them. (don't forget to do the sniff test)
Sit in the sweet spot and have a friend move a mirror along the wall until you see the speakers. This the point of your first reflection.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
So you have a triangle going where you are sitting 6 ft from the center line between the speakers and they are 6 ft apart with some toe in. I am not an expert on SF speakers but I know my Thiels need the listener to be at least 8ft away for the sound to integrate across the drivers. I am sure Bill (Metaphacts) can chime in whether the the Cremona Ms need a minimum distance from the listener.

Do you feel like the sound is not detailed/resolved? Or is the imaging/soundstaging not as you have heard it in other setups? Or do you like what you are hearing but are asking just in case?
The distance between the speakers is slightly less than from the tweeter to my ear.
The current setup produces good bass but it comes with a bit of a compressed sound/narrow-er soundstage. Fine details/ fill instruments seem to get lost-maybe its overpowered by the bass or maybe it’s just the dimensions of the room.
I haven’t heard the M’s in any other setup so its hard to compare. I have taken the same cd to a local shop and can hear a more detail, definition etc. ....although that may have to do with the Magico Q5 speakers, Mark Levinson CDP and Vitus amp I was listening to...
Old 08-12-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Beers View Post
You can dampen the first sidewall reflection with a couple 3x5 rugs found on your local Craigslist. The 90's vintage cheap sculpted chinese ones have good mass. Someone's always lookin' to unload them. (don't forget to do the sniff test)
Sit in the sweet spot and have a friend move a mirror along the wall until you see the speakers. This the point of your first reflection.
The floor is covered in a shag rug.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiezaffa View Post
The distance between the speakers is slightly less than from the tweeter to my ear.
The current setup produces good bass but it comes with a bit of a compressed sound/narrow-er soundstage. Fine details/ fill instruments seem to get lost-maybe its overpowered by the bass or maybe it’s just the dimensions of the room.
I haven’t heard the M’s in any other setup so its hard to compare. I have taken the same cd to a local shop and can hear a more detail, definition etc. ....although that may have to do with the Magico Q5 speakers, Mark Levinson CDP and Vitus amp I was listening to...

Speakers are too close together relative to listening position among other things.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Speakers are too close together relative to listening position among other things.
So you would have them further apart than the distance to the listening position?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
So you would have them further apart than the distance to the listening position?
The speakers would tell me but the description of the sound is typical of speakers too close together.

How far apart they end up is determined by bass coupling of the two speakers to each other and the room. If there is good linear bass the speakers will end up farther apart than the listener is from them.