AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics View Post
Yes, bass traps in the corners work really well (for a couple reasons, actually). To keep it simple, bass traps simply absorb the most low end in corners.
Considering your placement in the room, first reflection panels would probably need to be on stands since there is an open space to the left and window to the right.
I imagine these few steps along with the curtain would make a big difference in the ambiance of the room, so I would recommend going that route and seeing how it suits you. Of course, you may want/need more (and the graphs show sub bass treatment is really needed, so you might want to look into tuned traps for certain problems).
Alexander,

I was finally able to visit your website and check the product. I'm impressed by the quality of the product and the price point. I thought it was way more expensive than it actually is

Which bass trap do you recommand for my room ? The Tri-trap look quite impressive but they wouldn't be intrusive as they are in the corners.

For the panels, I could use an Art Panel on the left wall with a scatter plate. Would I also need something on the right wall or would the curtain be enough ?

Also, I could installed some panel on the door.

Last but not least, I need to see what I can do for the ceiling that wouldn't look too weird.

I'm trying to have a view of what the room would ultimately look like but I can do everything step by step. I'll take some more pictures of the room with measurement so you can have a better idea.

By the way, I've tried to cover the coffee table with a fleece throw while listening and it changed everything in terms of imagining. It's nuts
Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 PM

Sorry for the late reply - not sure how I missed this thread (I think I was just still looking at page 4)

I think the plan you've outlined would be a great addition to the room. TriTraps in the front corners of the room. I think it'd be best to have a panel on the left and right if possible to get balanced early reflections - in other words, a panel on the left and curtains on the right would cause an imbalance just like a curtain on the right with nothing on the left would. You could simply do a stand for the one on the right, in front of the curtains.

If you like, you can feel free to send me an e-mail (alex.r@gikacoustics.com) and provide dimensions and/or layout of the room and any other pics if you have them, and I can do a 3D sketch of the room showing what it would look like with the panels in. We actually provide this service to free as part of our Acoustic Advice btw, in case others are interested too -> Acoustical Room Advice - GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)
Old 03-28-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics View Post
Sorry for the late reply - not sure how I missed this thread (I think I was just still looking at page 4)

I think the plan you've outlined would be a great addition to the room. TriTraps in the front corners of the room. I think it'd be best to have a panel on the left and right if possible to get balanced early reflections - in other words, a panel on the left and curtains on the right would cause an imbalance just like a curtain on the right with nothing on the left would. You could simply do a stand for the one on the right, in front of the curtains.

If you like, you can feel free to send me an e-mail (alex.r@gikacoustics.com) and provide dimensions and/or layout of the room and any other pics if you have them, and I can do a 3D sketch of the room showing what it would look like with the panels in. We actually provide this service to free as part of our Acoustic Advice btw, in case others are interested too -> Acoustical Room Advice - GIK Acoustics
That's excellent

I'll take care of that tomorrow and send you an email
Old 08-28-2014, 11:07 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Georges, excellent thread! Now, what treatments did you use, where did you put them, and how did they affect the sound/graphs?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:46 PM

The follow-up of this thread can be found here : http://www.audioaficionado.org/gik-a...od-coming.html

There are some measures but it is before the whole treatment was completed. I haven't redone any since but I should.

The most dramatic effect was on the RT60. I went from a slightly bright room to a perfect one with a RT60 around 0.4. You shouldn't aim lower as you'd kill the liveliness of the room.