AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 10-30-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia View Post
Yes, that would be a nice touch (also I honestly don't understand why Accuphase doesn't include one in the first place: not everybody pairs DC901 with DP900, and for the price of the unit one could expect to have a "complete" package with a remote...).

You know that they are not quite normal. With the DC-901 they have an "explanation" (i.e. the remote is sold with the DP-900 transport), but how about the DC-37, why on earth is that DAC sold without a remote?

Last edited by nvp; 10-30-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Hi Martin,
thank you for your answer!

Right now my A/B comparison method between DG-58 and miniDSP is:

Source-->miniDSP-->DG-58-->pre... ...

To compare, I switch on/off the correction on the 58 and on the miniDSP by remote.

It works, but the only slight problem is that I always have a machine that is "dummy" in the chain, that could influence the result a bit.

Anyway, I still think to buy the 901 (or its successor) also because I need more than the digital inputs the DG-58 provides.

Right now, for the "less important" sources I use my DVDO iScan Duo scaler as a digital hub for various digital sources, but ideally I would like to avoid that (but I really don't know if a switch on a digital path could ruin the signal in some way).

The missing remote I think would be a problem in case if I would like to use the 901 as a "pre", using its volume control. But I think I'll stay with a preamplifier on the chain.
You would need to split the digital signal from the source to go to miniDSP and DG-58.
And you say, you would need more digital inputs. Would this be the only reason to buy a DC-901 or do you also want a better DAC?
(BTW there are no functions on the DC-901 only available via remote.)

For splitting digital signals, format changing (AES to SPDIf coax, to optical) and patching digital signals from various sources to various outputs,
there are only very very few professional solutions.

One of RME's ADI boxes might help to solve your problems:
RME: Home

The other solution I can think of is the ZSys z-8.8 digital detangler:
z-systems audio engineering - home (search under products / digital routing)

This box is an 8x8 routing matrix and can be ordered with any combination of AES / coax / optical inputs and outputs (I own a 4.2.2, i.e. 4 AES, 2 coax and 2 optical I/O).

Contrary to what you see on their web page, the z-8.8 is only 1HE and requires an external 9V power supply. You need to get the correct DC plug (out of more than 25 variations).

Martin
Old 10-31-2015, 07:55 PM

Thank you Martin for the answer and suggestions!

Quote:
And you say, you would need more digital inputs. Would this be the only reason to buy a DC-901 or do you also want a better DAC?
Both. I would like to avoid to use other gear for more inputs and at the same time have the best DAC Accuphase offers.
I also need the ext dsp loop (so no DC-37...).

It is a pity that the DP-720 (and the DG-58 btw) only have 1 optical and 1 coaxial input. Years ago it was different for the second in lineup CD-player: my DP-75 has 3 optical and 3 coaxial inputs.

Then came the era with slots for more optional inputs. And I would be ok with that: if you need you add the optional board. Perfect.

Then they simply removed the slots but kept bare minimum number of inputs.

I hope the successor of the DC-901 doesn't follow this route. If not, I would simply buy a 901.

Returning to splitting, routing or converting digital signals (e.g. from optical to coaxial), in your experience, what kind of "hints" could I ear that would tell me that the job is not done *perfectly*?
I ask that because as I said now I use the DVDO iScan Duo to route 3 digital in to 1 out, and it seems to work fine and sound the same as a direct connection.

nvp

Yes, sometimes Accuphase is hard to understand

Last edited by Mattia; 10-31-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Both. I would like to avoid to use other gear for more inputs and at the same time have the best DAC Accuphase offers.
I also need the ext dsp loop (so no DC-37...).
Few years ago my planning went towards buying a single box Accuphase SACD/CD (with EXT DSP).
But since I already had more digital sources (including some professional AES/EBU) than the Accuphase had inputs, I decided to solve this problem with a ZSys z-8.8 digital detangler.
Only when I finally decided to go for the DP-900/DC-901 (after some sonic disappointment with the DP-700) did the digital input switching go to the Accuphase DAC.
The ZSys remains in use for switching some professional gear.

BTW, the DP-900 drive plays a more important role in the sonic quality of the Accuphase combo than many people might think.
I use my Oppo BDP-95 for BlueRay and DVD video playback as well as video and mp3 playback from external harddisks; PCM audio always via DC-901.
For playback of audio SACD's and CD' I clearly prefer the Accuphase drive.

Quote:
Returning to splitting, routing or converting digital signals (e.g. from optical to coaxial), in your experience, what kind of "hints" could I ear that would tell me that the job is not done *perfectly*?
I ask that because as I said now I use the DVDO iScan Duo to route 3 digital in to 1 out, and it seems to work fine and sound the same as a direct connection.
If you do not hear any A/B differences between DVDO iScan Duo and direct connection, and there are no audible clicks (an indication for poor synchronization), the box should work fine.

Martin

Last edited by meltemi; 11-03-2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
BTW, the DP-900 drive plays a more important role in the sonic quality of the Accuphase combo than many people might think.
That is interesting, and in a way justifies the big cost jump of the combo compared to the single 720 box.

In my case, in that system I almost only listen to Tidal now (with the Oppo 105 and beta firmware), so balancing the things I think it makes more sense to go with a 901 (or successor) instead of the 720 (also for the more digital inputs).

Maybe is a bit of a waste a 901 for 95% 16/44 PCM, and that was my thinking when I purchased the DP-75: to try a good multibit DAC (8x 1702 per channel, good PSU, ecc), that many say that for PCM CD is better than delta/sigma.
But in many comparison between it and the DG-58 dac, I finally preferred the last. Equally relaxed sound, but a bit more precise placement of the various parts of the scene for the MDS++.
I think that 901 would be similar in presentation.

Last edited by Mattia; 11-02-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:43 AM

OT for Martin

Is there a way I can contact you (DC-81L)? If you can/want, you can write me at (edited).

Thank you!

Last edited by Mattia; 11-12-2015 at 01:11 PM.