AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 12-22-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
Fantastic. Many congrats. Now tell us what you are hearing.
What I’m hearing... does not make me happy. Some background - to date I have been using an AVA 600R amp with no issues. The 600R is single ended only, so I have been feeding it with a set of Purist Audio RCAs to very nice effect. Using the same RCA cables (for the time being), and the same AC outlet, I am getting ridiculous hum out of both speakers. I’ve seen other Pass amp setups using RCA input (including my friend’s) with no ill effects like this, so I don’t quite understand how amps of the stature of these can - in the same exact arrangement - sound like an electrical grid substation. The XLRs have been shorted at Pins 1 and 3 as instructed in the manual. I am not happy.

All fixed. It’s funny what a little electrical engineering degree can do. I had a hunch that there might be a grounding problem, and sure enough the Pass amps do not like the same electrical circuit that didn’t phase the AVA one iota. I had to run an extension cord (!) from the outlet that my source gear is running from to get the amps on the same circuit. It’s all good now. I’m going to give them a few hours to settle in.

Last edited by tonyptony; 12-22-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofound View Post
I have a similar lifting assignment coming early next month...a shiny new int 250. A hundred and five lbs worth (125 lbs with shipping crate). I'm thinking of using leather gloves. I'm guessing those heat sinks might be a little sharp.
Definitely use gloves!
Old 12-22-2019, 02:51 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
What I’m hearing... does not make me happy. Some background - to date I have been using an AVA 600R amp with no issues. The 600R is single ended only, so I have been feeding it with a set of Purist Audio RCAs to very nice effect. Using the same RCA cables (for the time being), and the same AC outlet, I am getting ridiculous hum out of both speakers. I’ve seen other Pass amp setups using RCA input (including my friend’s) with no ill effects like this, so I don’t quite understand how amps of the stature of these can - in the same exact arrangement - sound like an electrical grid substation. The XLRs have been shorted at Pins 1 and 3 as instructed in the manual. I am not happy.

All fixed. It’s funny what a little electrical engineering degree can do. I had a hunch that there might be a grounding problem, and sure enough the Pass amps do not like the same electrical circuit that didn’t phase the AVA one iota. I had to run an extension cord (!) from the outlet that my source gear is running from to get the amps on the same circuit. It’s all good now. I’m going to give them a few hours to settle in.
Glad you got it fixed. The first paragraph had me going for a second...

I have each of my amps plugged into a separate 20 amp outlet and then all my gear plugged unto a Shunyata Power PC which is then plugged into yet another 20 amp outlet.

So, I have three separate 20 amp outlets - Audioquest - run with 10 gauge wire. Pin drop quiet.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Glad you got it fixed. Guess every system is different. I have my 260.8's on a separate 20 amp circuit from my front end gear, which is on its own 20 amp circuit. Both outlets are less than 20 feet from the box. Dead quiet.

Let the amps break in for a while. After first 48 hours you are most of the way there, but I noticed slight improvements over the next several weeks.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 12-22-2019, 05:45 PM

Thanks Joe and Dave. Yeah, I’m going to give these a few days before making any real evaluations. On first listen I like what I hear, but I’m also going “d@mn that Frank Van Alstine - he hasn’t been around this long without knowing how to design a pretty impressive amp”. Shouldn’t shortchange those value priced (in some circles) guys. But like I said, too early to start drawing conclusions. My pair is used, but they will need some time to settle.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:37 PM

yep, ground loops can be a PIA. Regardless as an owner of a pair of X260.8's for over two years now I can't imagine how you couldn't be more than pleased. I too run a separate 20 amp, 10 gauge Romex circuit for my amps.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:28 PM

Well, with luck I'll be moving on to retirement in a year or so and to a new house, so I'm not sure right now if I want to run dedicated lines. I'll be not letting the amps show their best, perhaps, but such are the choices we make.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:21 PM

I had my phono preamp on a different circuit and had a lot of background. Moved everything to the Shunyata and all is good.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Well, with luck I'll be moving on to retirement in a year or so and to a new house, so I'm not sure right now if I want to run dedicated lines. I'll be not letting the amps show their best, perhaps, but such are the choices we make.
Dedicated Lines are generally very inexpensive to install (20 amp lines with 10g wire; add a whole house surge protector). This will be among the very highest value audio investments you can make and, if you'll forgive the expression, a real no brainer.

Last edited by GSOphile; 12-24-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:42 PM

Oh, I know it. I did it with my first house. The electrical routing in this house, though, is a real Rubik’s cube. One of my friends is a licensed electrician and confirmed that it would be a challenging piece of work. Since I’m so close to moving I can convince myself I can save the pain in trying to get it done.