AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 10-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Exactly. I just had a conversation with Dave Gordon about this, and his only suggestion was that i make lots of room above the amp and either remove the cover or put fans on low, and/or put fans in my cabinet instead. They don't think you can hear the fans but yes, you can.
Sounds like they're in denial.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Default ARC Ref 160S

Too bad high end designers still rely on noisy fans to cool their gear.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 10-07-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:18 PM

Moved the 75SE to the secondary system and the 160S is now driving the Sasha 1s. Still not a lot of hours on the 160S. Certainly more heft and bass control than the 75SE, but possibly not as much detail or texture to various instruments that always impressed me about the 75SE. Perhaps in time. All my ARC gear has taken at least a couple hundred hours to “bloom”. Thinking about changing the Sasha 1s for DAWs but that’s another story.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FB8B0BF9-D196-4109-97F7-8F6533BD2789.jpeg (1.78 MB, 114 views)
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
Moved the 75SE to the secondary system and the 160S is now driving the Sasha 1s. Still not a lot of hours on the 160S. Certainly more heft and bass control than the 75SE, but possibly not as much detail or texture to various instruments that always impressed me about the 75SE. Perhaps in time. All my ARC gear has taken at least a couple hundred hours to “bloom”. Thinking about changing the Sasha 1s for DAWs but that’s another story.....
Congratulations! I'm sure it's a great system. If you decide to go with the daw, it will be a really great upgrade. Another choice would be to get a certified alexia 1. I've owned the Sasha 1, 2, and alexia 1. Each one was a big upgrade. I've heard the daw many times and it is really close to the alexia, with just a bit less bass extension in my opinion. Some think the daw is actually more accurate than the alexia 1. All I know is, I love my alexias and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Congratulations! I'm sure it's a great system. If you decide to go with the daw, it will be a really great upgrade. Another choice would be to get a certified alexia 1. I've owned the Sasha 1, 2, and alexia 1. Each one was a big upgrade. I've heard the daw many times and it is really close to the alexia, with just a bit less bass extension in my opinion. Some think the daw is actually more accurate than the alexia 1. All I know is, I love my alexias and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
Alexia 1 and ARC 160S was not a good match for WCSS on the Audiogon Thread "My long list of Amplifiers". This took place within the last month. YMMV He actually preferred the GS150 and remarked they were "sweeter".
Amps: First Watt SIT-3, Pass XA25, Valvet E2 SE, LTA Ultralinear, LTA ZOTL 40, ARC 150M, First Watt SIT-1 Mono's, ARC Ref75SE, Luxman M900U, Coda #8, Pass XA30.5, Decware Zen TorII MK4, Line Magnetic 845 Premium, Raven Reflection MK2

Pre-Amps: Luxman 900U, Coda 07X, ARC MP-1 Multi-Channel, Conrad Johnson Met-1 Multi-Channel

Disc Spinners: Esoteric K-01XD, Luxman D-10X, Ayre DX5, Oppo 105/205

Speakers: Cube Audio Nenuphar, Fleetwood Deville, Spendor Classic 100, Volti RAZZ, Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo 2, Falcon LS 3/5A, Klipsch Cornwall IV, Harbeth SHL5+, Omega Compact 8, Triangle Comete 40th, Monitor Audio Gold 200, Audio Solutions Figaro M, Harbeth C7 40th, Harbeth P3XD

Collector/Dealer of over 9000 Authentic RIAA Gold/Platinum Music Industry Record Awards 1960's-Present. 3600+ Photos of my awards on Facebook page: RIAA AWARD COLLECTORS

Last edited by Billion$Baby; 01-05-2020 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-05-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billion$Baby View Post
Alexia 1 and ARC 160S was not a good match for WCSS on the Audiogon Thread "My long list of Amplifiers". This took place within the last month. YMMV He actually preferred the GS150 and remarked they were "sweeter".
To each his own, but I find that conclusion hard to believe. The alexia is easy to drive, so that's not a consideration. both amps use the exact same tube complement. In fact I believe that the two amps are very similar.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:59 PM

I’ve been on Agon since 2002 and the forums are, politely, a very mixed bag. Typically far more chaff than kernels of information. That amp thread has been going on since 2016 and is populated by dealers, daydreamers, and very short term “owners”.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
I’ve been on Agon since 2002 and the forums are, politely, a very mixed bag. Typically far more chaff than kernels of information. That amp thread has been going on since 2016 and is populated by dealers, daydreamers, and very short term “owners”.
Yes! I know... I just perused it. From what I can tell, the op said the ref160 monos were not as good as the stereo. That's... Strange. Very strange, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Another hot take was that someone said the Sasha 1 was superior to the Sasha 2, daw, and alexia. That's ludicrous! I've actually owned them (except for the Daw) and I can definitely say that is false.

I've also been spending some time on the Facebook groups, and I can definitely say there are a lot of nuts out there. AA is far more "refined"... Less trolls!
Old 01-05-2020, 05:49 PM

Well what he has on his side is his experience with all 3 GS, 160Mono, Stereo. What he has going against him is different speakers on each as well as speaker cables etc. He isn't speculating. He has no motive to lie and I know him personally so can vouch for his authenticity and honesty. I believe what he says HE hears which may not be what you or I would hear. He used the 160M with NEOLITH Speakers and not the Alexia...that's what he used the 160S on and quickly ditched it. According to him multiple ARC dealers came to the same conclusion...the Stereo version was Tweaked somehow and is an improvement..but that's all hearsay obviously
Amps: First Watt SIT-3, Pass XA25, Valvet E2 SE, LTA Ultralinear, LTA ZOTL 40, ARC 150M, First Watt SIT-1 Mono's, ARC Ref75SE, Luxman M900U, Coda #8, Pass XA30.5, Decware Zen TorII MK4, Line Magnetic 845 Premium, Raven Reflection MK2

Pre-Amps: Luxman 900U, Coda 07X, ARC MP-1 Multi-Channel, Conrad Johnson Met-1 Multi-Channel

Disc Spinners: Esoteric K-01XD, Luxman D-10X, Ayre DX5, Oppo 105/205

Speakers: Cube Audio Nenuphar, Fleetwood Deville, Spendor Classic 100, Volti RAZZ, Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo 2, Falcon LS 3/5A, Klipsch Cornwall IV, Harbeth SHL5+, Omega Compact 8, Triangle Comete 40th, Monitor Audio Gold 200, Audio Solutions Figaro M, Harbeth C7 40th, Harbeth P3XD

Collector/Dealer of over 9000 Authentic RIAA Gold/Platinum Music Industry Record Awards 1960's-Present. 3600+ Photos of my awards on Facebook page: RIAA AWARD COLLECTORS
Old 01-05-2020, 07:50 PM

Manufacturers who know what they are doing don’t invert the price and quality relationship. Also see the Stereophile review of the 160S this month where Dave Gordon says the 160S is close to but not better than 160Ms.