AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 12-19-2019, 01:22 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Look like my install will begin in app 30 minutes. I'll report back later.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:23 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

tonyptony,

My system was installed except for the finishing touches which will be done after Christmas. Don't worry a second about the amps. Mine aren't broken in yet, but they are amazing. I don't hear even a hint of a problem.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Yes, I did read that. And yet one of the members here was quite clear in preferring to stick with his 250.5 precisely because he felt the high end extension and air was better.

I guess I’m being a bit of a nervous nelly, waiting for them.

Tony, I feel your pain. I have an int 250 on order as we speak. Can't wait to hear it with my Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Model speakers. The only Pass amp I've auditioned is the int 60. I was extremely impressed by it and became an immediate Pass fan.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
one of the members here was quite clear in preferring to stick with his 250.5 precisely because he felt the high end extension and air was better.
you misunderstood, he was merely recanting his experience smoking a joint up in the Colorado Rockies ..........

Quote:
I guess I’m being a bit of a nervous nelly, waiting for them.
ya think ........
Old 12-19-2019, 06:29 PM

I had a good conversation about this with both Kent over at Pass and Mark at Reno. They said the same thing in slightly different ways, with Kent being a bit more zen like (or Confucius like, if you want). The .5 series is less linear at both the extreme low and high frequencies - Mark was quite direct in saying “more colored”. His assessment was simply - some people like the more colored presentation given by the .5. His words, not mine. He related that Desmond considers the .8 series more of a “tweaker’s amp”, in that it will get completely out of the out of the way of any salting or peppering a system owner chooses to introduce into the system. Again, his words (although I added the “salting or peppering” analogy). In my case I feel more confident. I don’t want ~$13K worth of amps to be the thing that sets the sound of my system.

Waiting to read more from you, JoeN.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:23 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Tonyptony,

Glad your getting some relief. I don’t think you will have any problems. I’ve written a small review of what I’m hearing at present. It’s amazing is all I can say. I’ll repost this later in the members systems as soon as I can find a way to do some pictures ...

Pass X260.8s amps
Pass XP22 Preamp
Luxman D-08u SACD
Aurender N100H Streamer
Magico A3’s
Magico A3 Grills
Shunyata Hydra Alpha A12 Power Conditioner
Shunyata Cables
Bamboo SVT Quadrasphire Racks (x3) and Amp Stands (x2)

First, I would like to thank Mike, the owner of Suncoast Audio in Sarasota, FL., for suggesting such a marvelous system. Awesome!!!

Initial impressions

Mere words can’t do justice to what I’m hearing coming from my SACDs playing on the Luxman D-08u. I’m simply there in, with, and around the music all at once; captured in the moment. The spacious soundstage and imaging are absolutely breathtaking. It sounds better than any live concert I’ve ever been too. It’s only been a few hours and the music is already entrancing. Positively majestic! I’m already at a new plateau in my listening experience and the system isn’t even broken in yet ...

IMO, the Pass 260.8s (which are barely warmed up now) have a tube-like sweetness – a harmonic richness to them. Their sonic signature is just perfect to my ears! They dig deep into the emotional side of the music and yet deliver a brilliantly balanced engaging detailed sound. Power and then some! WOW!!! I normally play my music kind of low, so all I’m hearing is in Class A. And while every amp has its own character, to me the Pass sound is simply music. It’s so engaging and real! I’m in absolute awe.

I initially thought the Magico A3s may be too small for my room, but they fill the entire space (Great Room, Gathering Room, Dining Room, and Kitchen) with beautiful music. The Magico A3’s deliver an excellent bass; a powerful bass grip and remarkable slam for their size! This is complemented by the very fine detailed mids and highs. The spacious soundstage is so involving – it’s huge. The imaging is absolutely extraordinary. Magicos are stunningly musical and yet deliver a wonderful articulate sound as well. The speakers sort of disappear and all you hear is the music. Music the way it should be – at least to my ears. These Magicos are so good, I can’t even image what a set of M2s would sound like. The Q7 Mk IIs I heard some years back though were transcendent! And I understand the Ms are even better.

IMO, there is sufficient speed to deliver amazing rhythmic magical pacing (pun intended) on recordings of all musical genres (esp. my favorites jazz and soft rock). I thought for sure I might miss the sound I enjoy so-much from the B&W 802s and Wilson Yvettes that I’m so familiar with and the Martin Logans 13As which I auditioned numerous times at different dealers. Properly driven these are all amazing speakers. IMO, each is excellent. They each do many things exceptionally well. However, for me personally the Magicos are delivering a class-leading level of detail and dynamics that to my ears surpasses them all. They’re unbelievable.

Being more than a sum of all its parts, IMO this Pass / Magico system effortlessly recreates every aspect of the music. It displays a rich dynamic expression, detailed resolution, and tonal sophistication I haven’t heard at this level before. I’m drawn “into” every note. It has already given me a new appreciation for music.

And yes, I’m just a little excited.

First Planned Improvements

There is always room for improvements. And needless to say my room(s) needs a lot of work. While it will never be perfect (none really are) no matter what system resides here, at a minimum acoustical improvements are needed at least behind the audio system itself, in the coffered ceiling, and above the kitchen cabinets. I have to research which acoustical materials would be best (and wife friendly, like Guilford of Maine) and someone to properly install them. An EtherREGEN is in the future. A Turn-Table and / or Headphone system may be in the future as well.

We will probably move some of the components around when Suncoast comes to put the final touches on the system – including some more Quadraspire rack polls.

For the present we will enjoy the music just as it is.

A Huge Thank You

As stated above Mike at Suncoast Audio designed the system. Thanks Mike, it’s absolutely stunning! And the set up this system was an amazing job as well. It was delivered early! I want to thank Suncoast for taking such great care with all the components, their technical knowledge, and answering all my questions so completely. I’m so very grateful.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:35 PM

Great to read, JoeN! Please pass along additional observations - transient reproduction, articulation, high end air...
Old 12-20-2019, 09:09 PM

I cannot begin to express how pi$$ed I am. I looked at my FedEx app to check on the progress of my delivery, to see them claim a delivery attempt had been made not 15 minutes earlier, and that no one was at the residence when the attempt was made... while I was sitting 10 feet from the front door having dinner with my family! And to add insult to injury, it appeared the driver really didn’t attempt anything at my address, as no door tag was left! I suspect the driver was looking at two 105 pound boxes at the end of his shift and figured it was too much of a PITA to do at night. I went out of my way to make sure they were shipped so they’d arrive today.

I called FedEx and they assured me a complaint would be filed with my local dispatch office, and that I’d get the packages on Sunday. That doesn’t make me happy! I’ve got over $10,000 worth of equipment getting tossed around and subjected to sub-freezing temperatures. SON OF A B!T€H!
Old 12-21-2019, 04:18 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Quote:
I cannot begin to express how pi$$ed I am. I looked at my FedEx app to check on the progress of my delivery, to see them claim a delivery attempt had been made not 15 minutes earlier, and that no one was at the residence when the attempt was made... while I was sitting 10 feet from the front door having dinner with my family! And to add insult to injury, it appeared the driver really didn’t attempt anything at my address, as no door tag was left! I suspect the driver was looking at two 105 pound boxes at the end of his shift and figured it was too much of a PITA to do at night. I went out of my way to make sure they were shipped so they’d arrive today.

I called FedEx and they assured me a complaint would be filed with my local dispatch office, and that I’d get the packages on Sunday. That doesn’t make me happy! I’ve got over $10,000 worth of equipment getting tossed around and subjected to sub-freezing temperatures. SON OF A B!T€H!
tonyptony,

Can't stand it when they lie like that. And it has happened to us as well in just the last couple weeks with USPS - but not with 10K of amps!!!

I hope your equipment makes it safely tomorrow.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:34 AM

Thanks Joe. I’m going to have to depend on you for a bit for additional impressions.