AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Learning to Listen

Default Dynaudio XEO

Anyone have a pair of these, yet. Not even sure that they are shipping, but I can tell you that I was thinking about how much a pair would be useful right now. I'd love a pair in my bedroom where I've been for three days now (back issues) and keep thinking how easy it would be to install a pair and not have to fish wire in this 96 year old house. Then there's the basement and the hangar.

The more I think about these, the more of a market I believe they have.

.... via phone

Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 AM

I've been eying these also. They would be great in the bedroom with just a Squeezebox Touch.
However, I don't know that much about Dynaudio and their sound.
What are dynaudio's sound characteristics in comparison with B&W and Sonus Faber?
C2300 (Telefunkin Smooth plates); MC275 (Shuguang Treasure KT88 & Psvane signal); Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M; JL F112; Clearaudio Concept MC; Oppo BDP-93; Squeezebox Touch; Music Hall dac23.5 (Burson Op amps, Mundorf & Multicaps, Vampire RCA jacks, Amperex White label 6922); Wireworld Silver Electra PC's, IC's, & SC's; HiFi Tuning
Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhizzle
However, I don't know that much about Dynaudio and their sound.

What are dynaudio's sound characteristics in comparison with B&W and Sonus Faber?
I am not the one to do justice to that type of comparison, since I haven't been around the audio block the much. However, I do agree with Howard's assessment:

"I cannot imagine, nor have I experienced, a more "musically satisfying" speaker. Many speaker setups have literally blown me away, but the Dynaudio is one that you want to turn on first thing in the morning and then stay up late at night listening to. They are a pure joy to have in the house - plus they can "knock your socks off" when you are in that kind of mood."

I would imagine that Dyn has tried hard to maintain that sonic signature with the XEO line.

.... via phone

Old 03-08-2012, 01:53 PM

To my ear, Dynaudio speakers tend to fall in between B&W (which I find a little bright) and SF (which I find a little warm). But I haven't heard the Xeo, and YMMV.

Last edited by VT Skier; 03-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:54 AM

Really interested in the XEO's after reading about them on-line. Would work perfectly in my basement. I know the question was asked 4 months ago, but does anyone have any experience with this system yet? Read the on-line reviews but nothing is better than comments from people you can trust!

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 PM

Dynaudios are fast dynamic and has a bass response that's quite unfathomable for such a small enclosure. I personally find B&W a bit too heavy on the mid bass (Kevlar cone) and while that's not great for some genres of music, it's pretty good for a lot of the old 80s rock material I used to listen to. Dynaudios I find are more transparent and more well rounded.

The XEOs are based off the Excite series. That's just one up from the DM range so it's not a high end series but I feel because it's an active design (crossover comes BEFORE the amplification stage), it is more efficient and in many cases, sounds better than the Focus range one step up if the Focus is paired with less than stellar amps of that price range.

Of course the Focus will shine when it's partnered with good quality electronics upstream.

I know many people like the XEO 3s but having been weaned off floor standers, I did still feel the XEO 5s were the pick of the bunch.

Most people will just like it for its simple wireless interface. It's quite fuss free and more importantly, noise free. I had the AudioEngine AW1 wireless interface before and I always found the intermittent clicks a bit annoying. I've never heard anything trip up the XEOs so far and this was in a showroom with a DECT wireless phone operating just next to the XEO transmitter and a wifi router just next to it.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:39 AM

HI, I just installed XEO3 in my bedroom and I like them.
sound more than good enough for bedroom casual or background music.
setting up in 3 minutes. both speakers are identical, no Master or Slave.
each has 3-position switch, which you will assign it as Left, Right, or Mono.
Both has its own power cord. remote control is used to control source switching and
volume/mute, power on/off. Range is good enough, I move just one to the other room and set both speakers to Mono mode, then I have nice background music in two rooms.
USB input is easy, Win XP detected it without driver required.
Toslink is straight forward.
AUX/RCA also straight forward.
Airport Express integration also worked well, with little set up on Apple side. it will output digital output as optical mini toslink from Airport Express and into Toslink input
at transmitter.
Amplifier power is just fine for bedroom music duty, may not sound much powerful
for serious listening.
Signal transmission is always noise free. sound will be ON if in range, or completely
OFF if too far, there is no static when you reach border of transmission range, it just off or on.
I just wish they make it in other model range as well, such as center ch. or surround ch. speakers for home theater, may be with more powerful amplifier.
Oh one last thing, in the position that I place them, normal limitation for bedroom ,
I got boomy bass. Then I insert supplied sponge into both bass output ports in the back. then this is solved, although I can't be sure bass is now flat or just too much rolled off, but better than boom.
Toga
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0292_resize.jpg (76.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0291_resize.jpg (72.5 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by TOGA; 07-16-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 PM

However, I would like to know where does the D to A conversion take place ?
in the transmitter or in each speaker ?
Toga
Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Would like a pair to for the front deck, but am thinking how do they do better than FM FZ with a radio?

How much are they?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 PM

Hi djwhog,
They cost just a little more than X12. But considering the saving from amplifier and cables,
then I think it's a best buy. After living with them for 2 days, I think they are first rate
background music player. For serious listening, I think they are too dynamically compressed. They can go loud, but with little dynamic contrast. X12 with first rate amp and cables will surely outperform XEO. But I have no idea about FM FZ you mentioned.
Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 07-17-2012 at 10:33 PM.