AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 12-30-2014, 03:24 PM

Great system! Great room!

I heard Rockport Altair with dcS Vivaldi in Munich Hi End Show. It sounded great.
I can really see the god sound coming through the system and out of Altair. It must be a true reference sound.

Congratulations!

Last edited by Apexorca; 12-30-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:14 AM

Apexorca, thanks for the kind comments ! Happy New Year !

Here is a more current pic of the digital stack...

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 Interconnect
Power Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Anaconda Zitron cords (x9)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Schroder LT arm, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)

Last edited by jfrech; 12-31-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added text
Old 12-31-2014, 03:03 PM

Hi Jfrech

Thanks. I am looking forward to the arrival of my new Atrias. They are being drop shipped to my house and I will begin break-in 24/7 using an AVR (Don't want to burn up 300 hrs on my tubes when I won't be actively listening). After I get about 300 hrs on them, my dealer will drive down from Omaha and set them up properly as well as give my TT setup a review/ tuneup.

After I get acclimated to how my system sounds with my new speakers, I will consider changing to Transparent cabling and perhaps a Playback Designs or DCS update to my digital front end.

If you are ever up in the KC area, you are welcome to stop by. I lived in Texas for about a 5 year period in the early 80s. Austin was one of my wife and my favorite places. We have visited the area a couple of times in the last few years and are amazed at the growth and development. We both enjoy the Texas vibe and people.

Jim
Old 01-01-2015, 06:17 PM

Never seen dCS Vivaldi in black. I think the look even better in black. The curved lines makes the shadows more interesting.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:26 PM

I agree. It looks beautiful in black.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:23 PM

+1

I really like DCS stack the black.
Beautiful system in general!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 AM

Jeff,

My eyes are watering with envy! I really love your room and the Altair speakers. I auditioned them in Arizona a few years ago and I wish I could've afforded them when I purchased my Salon2.

Can you share what you learned about your room and the sound issues you worked through as you treated the walls? We just moved into a house with a 20 x 40 foot room that will be the listening and billiard room. It has a cathedral ceiling, wood flooring over a concrete foundation and it's similar in shape to your room and I expect some acoustic issues once the equipment is installed.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Learning to Listen

Beautiful Room! Congratulations!

Old 01-02-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
Never seen dCS Vivaldi in black. I think the look even better in black. The curved lines makes the shadows more interesting.
It's a very cool black finish..guessing some sort of bead blasted...it does look very sexy in person !

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 Interconnect
Power Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Anaconda Zitron cords (x9)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Schroder LT arm, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)
Old 01-02-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgneck View Post
Jeff,

My eyes are watering with envy! I really love your room and the Altair speakers. I auditioned them in Arizona a few years ago and I wish I could've afforded them when I purchased my Salon2.

Can you share what you learned about your room and the sound issues you worked through as you treated the walls? We just moved into a house with a 20 x 40 foot room that will be the listening and billiard room. It has a cathedral ceiling, wood flooring over a concrete foundation and it's similar in shape to your room and I expect some acoustic issues once the equipment is installed.

Thanks.
Hi Ray, It's John :-)

Thank you and all the others for the wonderful comments. Honestly, I think the best thing you can do is invest is a room tuning service. I used Rives Audio. I'll try and post the drawings...(it's specific to my room so won't help others much).

What I will say is each treatment went in by itself spaced by a week or two while the cabinet builder got to the next step. First to go in were the RPG folding panels in the alcoves. I was a gasp at how it smooth out everything. Next was the Difusor Panels behind the speakers. I remember telling my wife...holy smokes..I think I'll cancel the rest...it's just so good now. Then the bass traps went in a week or so later. The bass dramatically got more articulate...but oh my how the mids opened. Again, I said...I'm happy...stop..I'll save the money...Then the side diffusers were next...same reaction....then the ceiling diffusers...again I was ready to stop...the final step was 20 RPG panels around the sides and the rear of room...

I can assure you...I well designed room is cheaper and more important than your next electronic purchase. Even if you have a more modest system than mine...this is a critical step.

I'll never use a untreated room again...and will definitely use Rives via my dealer in Austin again (Ne Plus Ultra)

Hope this helps