Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 09-06-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post

Old 09-17-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyne View Post
I don't have a cd player so I used a pink noise sample from itunes. I set the preamp to 80, turned the crown to zero and up until clipping (speakers were disconnected) and then down until they were not clipping and that was one click past 3 o clock!
Hallo!

You can if you want, is to have the knob at 2 o'clock but never pass the point where it is clipping. This way you will have less hiss and more headroom.

You can try it out what's sounds best.

As I mentioned before I have mine on my Crown DCi on the output level at -6dB.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:46 AM

I never heard hiss but it never went into clipping either. I usually don't listen to music very loud, but when you want to, it's nice to be able to. The Crown can play loud! The next mission is sound treatment. I spoke to GIK and purchased two floor standing traps for side reflections. Should be here soon.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyne View Post
I never heard hiss but it never went into clipping either. I usually don't listen to music very loud, but when you want to, it's nice to be able to. The Crown can play loud! The next mission is sound treatment. I spoke to GIK and purchased two floor standing traps for side reflections. Should be here soon.
Great
Old 10-17-2015, 02:10 PM

If I owned 4429 and wanted a little more euphonic sound, but wanted to stay away from tubes. I would look for a rebuilt MC 2200 or MC2155. The 2200 has a very smooth sound, rather warm in fact and with the lower damping factor similar to a tube amp below 800 hz or so. It has power guard you can turn off if you choose and the amp will easily put out 250 watts if rebuilt. 2155 rated around 150 will reach 200 watts before the Power Guard turns on and is a little sweeter on the high end and quieter. I used them to bi amp large Altec and JBL Horn driver combinations. They both did a great job. If you want tight critical bass then you want a MC 7200 that doesn't use autoformers and there fore has a higher damping factor, very low distortion and good signal to noise ratio; a very important spec with JBL speakers. The later Mac amps have smooth sound but fit the more modern idea of what critical sound amplification should be. Remember the new series of 275 has over 100 db signal to noise and will put out over 100 watts before clipping. And because of impedance mis match you are going to loose about 1.5 db sensitivity. So I would try the 8 ohm tap, too and let your ears be your guide. With the MC7200, this is a non-issue. Wonder what they would sound like with the 2301's? Impressive I bet.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:19 PM

TWiiii, that helps me understand amp ratings a little more. Thank you. I ended up getting some floor standing bass traps for the first side reflections. The treble sounded better as did the mid/lower mids. An added surprise was improved instrument separation. This made me think maybe I had been hearing the room's imperfections rather than the equipment so...
I ended up returning the Crown and going back to the MC275. I am thinking the new plan would be to do more room treatments and add a pair of subs then reevaluate the amp situation. I am currently listening on the 8ohm taps and will go back to the 4's and see which I prefer. This may help me decide if I prefer higher or lower damping factors if I decide to move on to another amp. My last speakers were 4 ohms but someone from Vienna Acoustics told me they preferred the 8 ohm taps. I liked both but ended up using the 4's for the better bass.
As far as the 2301's, I would love to hear them! I bet you're right :-)
Old 03-03-2016, 03:43 AM

I am also thinking about getting the 4429. Would MC602 (still the most powerful non-monoblock Mc SS amp to date) be an overkill for it? I have C2300 as preamp.

Cheers,
googleli
Old 03-03-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleli View Post
I am also thinking about getting the 4429. Would MC602 (still the most powerful non-monoblock Mc SS amp to date) be an overkill for it? I have C2300 as preamp.

Cheers,
googleli
Hallo!

I have tried with monobloc MC252 and it sounded great with my 4429. I don't think it is overkill as long as you don't over do it with the volume knob.

I saw a figure in Output Voltage (RMS) is between 49 Volts(4 ohm) and 69,3 Volts(8 ohms) in MC602. The 4429 is 6 ohms nominal. Just connect it at 4 ohms tap.

I don't see any problem.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM

Hi, i have bought 4429 yesterday :música:, i`ve 275 + pre c2300.

I have 10hs aprox.

How many hs. for break needs ?

you heard important changes in the sound after break in ?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:25 AM
Retired

Mati - were they NOS (new, old stock)? Can't find them on JBL's website and am wondering if they are still in production.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag