AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Default Why are women not Interested in high-end audio

My Impressions:

1. Women have other priorites like taking care of there health and going shopping.

2.Most women aren't Interested in technical things. They rather listen to the music than analyze it.

3.There are also heated arguments over audio gear. Most women don't like confrontation.

4.High-end audio has always been a man's thing. I don't thing that's going to change.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 AM

Interesting question and there are probably many answers and theories to that.

Here are my two cents:..

Men tend to like bigger and better... It's the competing nature in us.. Women aren't competitive in the same way...

But I doubt it has to do with interest in shopping..... After all we audio nuts love to shop for audio gear... Almost as much as listening to it.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 AM

The Lady here does appreciate the differences in HiFi & the technical merit in each component including cables.

The Lady can pick a good cable & understands the value proposition.

The Lady feels privelaged to be spoilt by the realism of great sounding music. It gets her involved without being analytical.

The Lady loves the dynamics of HT even when watching cable or FTA.

The Lady can generally discern if something has changed for better or worse, or if something is not quite right.

The Lady is an engineer by profession but still needs a universal remote control because she is a Lady.

The Lady acknowledges that it is my fetish & is happy as long as it makes me happy.

(The Lady draws the line when it comes to watching Ancient Aliens on The History Channel with me & goes into another room or to bed.)

Last edited by MyPal; 12-27-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 AM

What she thinks is way too much money for sound is also a usual factor. $300 handbags and shoes are exempt from the conversation

I am lucky in that my wife does love our systems and some weeks gets to play them more than I. She has a great Tweaker's Ear and notices subtle changes very easily. We also like 90% or more of the same music.

Like most systems, they sound better a little cranked up. I usually have to keep it at a level where one does not have to shout or the other say What all night. Sometimes I bump it up a bit and then turn it down by half and get away with it. The other night we were listening to an Al DiMeola disk, Elegant Gypsy I think, and she asked why it sounded so good. Volume was my first answer, and then the tubes I had recently employed.

As per the list

1- My wife takes care of what you said along with all the paperwork and phone calls dealing with aging parents issues, nursing home blunders, and insurance-medicare scams

2- She won't read a manual. "You read it and just show me how to turn it on"

3- I usually lose the argument and she is usually right

4- HE is a man's thing but again I am lucky she enjoys the sounds all over the house.

I have to chuckle sometimes if we are sitting in the Family room listening to the the system run by a receiver from the living room. She will ask me which one to use to turn up or down. Hehe It's the big silver knob on the one in the middle rack near the bottom to the right......I usually end up going in the other room to do it anyway.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
The Lady here does appreciate the differences in HiFi & the technical merit in each component including cables.

The Lady can pick a good cable & understands the value proposition.

The Lady feels privelaged to be spoilt by the realism of great sounding music. It gets her involved without being analytical.

The Lady loves the dynamics of HT even when watching cable or FTA.

The Lady can generally discern if something has changed for better or worse, or if something is not quite right.

The Lady is an engineer by profession but still needs a universal remote control because she is a Lady.

The Lady acknowledges that it is my fetish & is happy as long as it makes me happy.

(The Lady draws the line when it comes to watching Ancient Aliens on The History Channel with me & goes into another room or to bed.)
.. ahhh of course she enjoys and appreciates it all,.. but the real question is.. would you have the sound system you have if the choice was hers and hers alone?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:13 AM

Maybe the better approach is turn the question around like we often do in motivational interviewing. Perhaps we should ask those women who are into high-end audio--and I've met a few designers as well as audiophiles--why did they get into the hobby and what do they enjoy the most?
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Music Lover!

I did read that alot of women attend Rush concerts though.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Music Lover

Because they talk so much they don't have much time to listen.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Music Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
Because they talk so much they don't have much time to listen.
Very Very True.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:20 PM

-- Women, in general, are more interested in sex. ...Just like normal men as well.