AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 09-02-2016, 06:30 AM

Default Sony attempt the big time once more..Goodness me!

Masters of the mid fi, guaranteeing Rad's total Kingship in this regard herein, Sony have now tilted firmly towards the portable Hi end with their MDR-Z1R headphone ($2.3K), TA-ZHIES headphone amp ($2.3K) and gold flavored Dap-the NW-WM1A (£3.2K). Only one brief listen online praises the headphones, the question is can the trio match the reference; Chord Dave/AK380/ Utopia/HE-1000 etc?

The total sum,without a Kimber(etc) headphone cable upgrade, is $7.8K. You can see all three on the 'tube, and Head-Fi should appraise them soon.The Amp is desk sized so not portable, the 'phones look a bit like the famed R-10. The press conference doesn't give much away, but color me interested. Hi End on the 'cheap'?, we shall see.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:59 AM

I owned a pair of mint R-10's for awhile...the best headphone I have ever heard. They had a magic about the midrange that was beguiling. I also had a "poor man's R-10" in the Sony CD3000, also an amazing headphone which in a couple of ways I liked better than the R-10.

If their new offering can even come close to those classic headphones, I will definitely have to track them down for a listen.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:16 AM

I think the original designer is involved in the new cans. They call it their 'Signature Line', made 'without compromise'.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:22 PM

Anyone tried these yet?

C2500 | MC452 | MT10 | B&W 802 D2 | (2) Sub JL Fathom F112 | Mac Pro
Old 03-25-2017, 03:38 AM

Shock horror! What Hi Fi magazine gave a Sony a 5 star review! This never ever happens, perhaps they lost their mainline Apple sponsor, or the editorial team was switched in the jury room.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:29 PM

I heard these new Sony flagship headphones driven directly from the gold DAP. I realize a dedicated high-end amp can make a huge difference, but I still found it very disappointing. The bass is way overblown and boomy; not at all accurate -- and I'm one who though the old R10 was way way too light on bass (yes, even the "bass-heavy" later makes). The Focal Utopia out of the same DAP was much better, but still not terribly impressive overall. I really think an old-school Sony CD3000 with a good re-cable would beat both of these (at least it would beat the new Sony for sure).

I used to own both the Sony MDR-R10 and Qualia 010; this new model has absolutely nothing in common with its much better predecessors, unfortunately. Furthermore, I doubt even the Utopia could match the Qualia 010 in detail/speed, and it certainly can't touch the R10 in soundstage.

But to be fair: I've become a huge fan of the Stax 009 (driven by BHSE with vintage Holland-made EL34 tubes), and this really makes it hard for me to enjoy dynamic headphones.

Last edited by mulveling; 04-15-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:43 PM

Hardly horses for courses, perhaps it wasn't burn't in, or was on a much lesser level to what you were used to. It ain't aiming for the 009, but to be truthful some negative reviews verses price have started to come in. Mind you the fans are there. It's supposed to be more fun than the elear.