AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 02-15-2016, 01:28 AM

Default Silly Question about VPI tables...

Finally going to pull the trigger on a high end turntable and was wondering.

Did the Classic give birth to the Classic 2, than Classic 3, and than the Classic 4, and finally the Classic Signature?

And did they get better and better?

And now you can only buy the "Classic" and the Classic Signature".

Is this right?

Thanks in advance.........
Old 02-15-2016, 01:51 AM
Go Dawgs

I just received my Classic Signature......it's awesome. Here's the story....VPI sold the Classic 1, that was the "entry level" table in their line but got fantastic reviews and feedback. The Classic 1 did NOT come with the adjustable VTA on the fly arm mount. This is where you can raise or lower your tonearm based on the thickness of the record you're playing with a "measurement wheel." You can see it in the pictures. It also comes with VPI's 600 rpm motor. The Classic 2 was the same table if I'm not mistaken but it did come with the VTA on the fly arm base. The Classic 3 was the premier table in the line...it came with the heavyweight steel clamp, the periphery ring, upgraded feet, upgraded 300 rpm motor and was available in piano black and rosewood veneers. It appears that they have discontinued the Classic 2, and the Classic Signature is the same as the Classic 3 (confirmed by Mat Weisfeld) but not available in rosewood. It also doesn't come with the periphery ring. The signature also comes standard with the new 3D printed tonearm that has been all the rage.....and it is awesome. I'm not 100% on this but I think the Classic 4 was the same as the 3 but came with 2 tonearms. It looks like they only have in production the original Classic and the Classic Signature. I just got my Classic Signature setup and it's amazing....quite a step up from the Classic 2. That was a quick synopsis.....What other questions have you got?

- Buck

VPI Industries
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 02-15-2016, 06:39 PM

I just want to have this table for a long time so was wanting to buy the most bang for the buck, also the Rosewood helps with the wife.

Seems like the Signature is the best deal in tables right now.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:06 PM
Greetings from NC

I received about a month ago the VPI Classic Signature in piano black. Very glossy and upscale. I ordered with the SDS speed and power unit, the periphery ring and the Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge and Gingko cover. I am extremely pleased with this configuration. I will not be looking at a new turntable for a very long time. Enjoy.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 02-15-2016, 10:29 PM

My Classic I is a great solid basic turntable. As you most probably know, beyond the galaxy is the limit in audio.

The newer Prime incorporates features like the printed tone arm and adjustable VTA that may make it an even better value to you.

Either way, all VPI's are made in New Jersey and made in the US is important to me.

Enjoy the hunt!
Old 02-15-2016, 11:22 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJCapt View Post
I just want to have this table for a long time so was wanting to buy the most bang for the buck, also the Rosewood helps with the wife.

Seems like the Signature is the best deal in tables right now.
The Signature or the Prime is the sweet spot in the VPI lineup right now. It's a shame they don't offer the Signature in the rosewood. Piano black is the nicest finish. You may be able to still find a Classic 3 in rosewood at a dealer who hasn't sold through them yet, but you may pay a premium since it would also come with the periphery ring. I went with the walnut finish more to match bookshelves and the rack than anything else. It's a great table one way or another. When Michael Fremer reviewed the Classic 3, he compared it quite favorably to his 6 figure reference.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 02-19-2016, 10:52 AM

I have a Classic 4 with the 12" printed arm. Based on Harry's recommendation I swapped the pully for the HRX pully and added 2 belts with the SDS supply. With these changes it put it within a hair's breath of the Direct Drive and puts it within the performance of my Avid Acutus Reference. I believe it's still available as a special order item.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:57 PM

One thing about VPI is that most of them can be upgraded and they last for a long time. I have an HW19 MkIII that I bought new circa 1990 that still sounds very good. Recently I bought a Prime and have upgraded it with Phoenix Engineering Roadrunner and Eagle, HRX pulley and double belts, a periphery ring, and a Cadenza Black. It came with a 3D arm, and that is the way to go if you are trying to decide what to buy. VPI turntables are not easy to set up, but it is worth the effort.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:24 AM

I bought my Classic 1 couple years back and could not be more happy with it. I got lucky and bought a unique table which came in piano black, nordost Valhalla wiring and front loaded 115v DC motor which works very well with my SDS. Shortly after they went to copper wiring versus the nordost in the classic 1 and went to a back loaded 24v AC motor. I'm very happy with my table and do not see any change in the near future.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:49 PM

Is the Nordost Valhalla wiring the silver colored wiring or the multi-colored wiring? I have a classic-3, what are the upgrades besides the 3-d tonearm?