AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 07-23-2015, 09:33 AM

Default "Pryma" - New Headphone Line by the Sonus Faber Team

You knew it was inevitable!

SoundStage! Global | SoundStageGlobal.com - The Pryma Premiere

I'm happy that they at least are using a different name for this product line.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Life is beautiful

Wow!

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-23-2015, 10:56 AM

I'm sure these will be more popular and successful than the Venere and Chameleon lines combined.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
I'm sure these will be more popular and successful than the Venere and Chameleon lines combined.
Unlikely, in my opinion. I have no idea how successful their entry level speaker lines have been (or will be in the future) but I doubt these phones will have much impact in the consumer market. While I like the way they look, I cant help but think that for most buyers they might be seen as a little too precious. Also, for most non-audiophiles $495 is a bit much when they can get their beloved Beats at Best Buy for much less. As for the reception in the audiophile world...we shall see. Hard to get folks away from Sennheiser, Audeze, HiFi Man, etc. Such a saturated industry segment now. I wish them luck. BTW ... If the traditional high-end SF fans hated the Venere line (which most did) they must be apoplectic over SF entering the consumer headphone market. Further brand dilution awaits. Its simply the modern business model.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:39 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
Unlikely, in my opinion. I have no idea how successful their entry level speaker lines have been (or will be in the future) but I doubt these phones will have much impact in the consumer market. While I like the way they look, I cant help but think that for most buyers they might be seen as a little too precious. Also, for most non-audiophiles $495 is a bit much when they can get their beloved Beats at Best Buy for much less. As for the reception in the audiophile world...we shall see. Hard to get folks away from Sennheiser, Audeze, HiFi Man, etc. Such a saturated industry segment now. I wish them luck. BTW ... If the traditional high-end SF fans hated the Venere line (which most did) they must be apoplectic over SF entering the consumer headphone market. Further brand dilution awaits. Its simply the modern business model.
First, Beats, the sales leader in the headphone category, dwarfs sales of all high end audio combined. Not high end audio headphones - high end audio in its entirety.

Second, Beats was ridiculously expensive for the consumer category when first debuted. They seemed to do ok. AQ just introduced a headphone more expensive than Sf. As a far more mainstream company than Sf, AQ doesn't seem at all concerned with price acceptance.

Third, Headphones continue to be a growth segment in the market. It is far from saturated. See AQ above.

Fourth, Venere had a tough acceptance row to hoe because it was made in China. (I remember it well - I was with FineSounds at the time.) It certainly wasn't price dilution - Sonus faber had models available in Venere's price ranges in the last century!

The Sf headphone is made in Italy. I suspect it is the connection to the luxury market outside of audio that may concern Sf traditionalists more than Sf's entry into the headphone market.

YMMV

Last edited by metaphacts; 07-23-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
First, Beats, the sales leader in the headphone category, dwarfs sales of all high end audio combined. Not high end audio headphones - high end audio in its entirety. Second, Beats was ridiculously expensive for the consumer category when they first debuted. They seemed to do ok. AQ just introduced a headphone more expensive than Sf. As a far more mainstream company than Sf, AQ doesn't seem at all concerned with price acceptance. Third, Headphones continue to be a growth segment in the market. It is far from saturated. See AQ above. Fourth, Venere had a tough acceptance row to hoe because it was made in China. (I remember it well - I was with FineSounds at the time.) It certainly wasn't price dilution - Sonus faber had models available in Venere's price ranges in the last century! The Sf headphone is made in Italy. I suspect it is the connection to the luxury market outside of audio that may concern Sf traditionalists more than Sf's entry into the headphone market. YMMV
All great points, Bill. Agreed. I actually love what I am seeing in the photos so far. I am not into headphones, but I can see these becoming very popular. In fact, I was surprised at the $500 price. I assumed these would be at least $1k and above and, as you said, they would still have plenty of company in that range from other manufacturers. Still, I am happy these are being sold under a different brand name.

I love the "strap belt" idea. Leave it to the Italians to come up with genius details such as that. My wife would probably love these if I dared show her the photos (but I won't, since I just bought the Elipsas and need to keep the bank account a little safer for a while. )

Last edited by esteban; 07-23-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:26 PM

So are they being sold under Sonus Faber brand or under a new brand name?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
First, Beats, the sales leader in the headphone category, dwarfs sales of all high end audio combined. Not high end audio headphones - high end audio in its entirety. Second, Beats was ridiculously expensive for the consumer category when first debuted. They seemed to do ok. AQ just introduced a headphone more expensive than Sf. As a far more mainstream company than Sf, AQ doesn't seem at all concerned with price acceptance. Third, Headphones continue to be a growth segment in the market. It is far from saturated. See AQ above. Fourth, Venere had a tough acceptance row to hoe because it was made in China. (I remember it well - I was with FineSounds at the time.) It certainly wasn't price dilution - Sonus faber had models available in Venere's price ranges in the last century! The Sf headphone is made in Italy. I suspect it is the connection to the luxury market outside of audio that may concern Sf traditionalists more than Sf's entry into the headphone market. YMMV
You know what Bill? Everything you said makes perfect sense, as always. I love SF so I hope the Pryma is very successful. I guess it all depends on what kind of sales volume constitutes a success to the manufacturer. Just out of curiosity, prior to you leaving Fine Sounds was the Venere line considered a sales success or not? I have no idea what level of sales defines profitability for a company like SF.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:04 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
You know what Bill? Everything you said makes perfect sense, as always. I love SF so I hope the Pryma is very successful. I guess it all depends on what kind of sales volume constitutes a success to the manufacturer. Just out of curiosity, prior to you leaving Fine Sounds was the Venere line considered a sales success or not? I have no idea what level of sales defines profitability for a company like SF.

Much to the chagrin of many of the long time Sf fans, Venere well outsold the Toy Series it replaced and the Domus Series before that. I expect Chameleon (and Venere S) to continue that trend.

As demonstrated by the Beats phenomenon, the headphone market is huge and yes, still growing.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:26 AM

This is going to be the ideal audiophile’s wife present. What better way to lure her into the hobby. The next step would be matching Aida’s

I can see this becoming a fashion statement for the lady headphone brigade