AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Stillpoints

Stillpoints Lower Your Noise Floor

Old 02-09-2018, 01:04 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default Isolation Placement

Isolation really enhances the sound!

I am not sure what is the right or wrong method on placement as I have seen everything under the sun when it comes to this, in the case of Stillpoints; top-hat up, top-hat bottom, adapter screws screwed in under OEM foot and now throw in what I am about to say.

My thoughts are to place these wonders in a tripod fashion under the immediate area of the power supplies transformers and capacitors.

By channeling the sound out from where it is emitting potential interference would have the greatest affect. Like water or electricity, the faster it is directed, the more control you have. Bases under the Stillpoints add more dispersement as energy has a wider displacement.

My heavy amps, regenerators and other pieces weighs down itself equally on the tripods with no problem. When I used 4, it was a fight to get the 4th to seat, and later found it was not supporting the amp, thereby providing no isolation.

I pulled some pictures of D’Agostino amp line off the web to give a visual and YELLOW STARRED where I placed the Stillpoints on my Momentums, and GREEN CIRCLES represents where the OEM feet are.

Note: I think isolation is better then no isolation, and other brands will add an affect as long as there is metal to metal contact.

At the end of the day it comes down to preference - it's enough to drive any sane minded person crazy, but not the audiophile

Pipe in your theory or comments against little ‘ole me - happy listening!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg momentum-inside.jpg (89.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg progression.jpg (122.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Classic.jpg.jpg (20.6 KB, 109 views)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:43 AM

I have found that the best place for any isolation footer is over anything that vibrates the most. That being said I would move one of the Stillpoints directly over the power transformer on the Momentum and then adjust the other 2 Stillpoints for balance.

I like the positioning of the Progression and the Classic.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:01 PM

"isolation" is a poor description of what Stillpoints actually do!

Placed under equipment chassis, they "wick" internal vibration away and dissipate this as heat, rather that "isolate" the equipment from external vibration.

Four are generally better than three and should be placed under vibrating components, such as transformers, in addition to placing to securely support the weight of the product.

In the case of the Ultra SS, hat making contact with the underside of the chassis is generally correct and the hat should always be loosened half a turn or so, for the Stillpoint to ave maximum effect. I found exceptions (my TW Acoustics Raven turntable has a trio of Ultra SS screwed into the underside of the chassis, with the hats pointing downwards.

I have Ultra 5's under my speakers and balanced PSU (on a Stillpoints Component Stand) and a quartet of Ultra 6's with Ultra Bases supporting my power amp.

As with the Ultra SS, slacken them off a bit on the screw thread and place under transformers etc, for maximum effect!

Substituting them for manufacturer's own feet or placing them in the same position (apart from speakers) is not necessarily a good idea.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCop5089 View Post
"isolation" is a poor description of what Stillpoints actually do!

Placed under equipment chassis, they "wick" internal vibration away and dissipate this as heat, rather that "isolate" the equipment from external vibration.

Four are generally better than three and should be placed under vibrating components, such as transformers, in addition to placing to securely support the weight of the product.

In the case of the Ultra SS, hat making contact with the underside of the chassis is generally correct and the hat should always be loosened half a turn or so, for the Stillpoint to ave maximum effect. I found exceptions (my TW Acoustics Raven turntable has a trio of Ultra SS screwed into the underside of the chassis, with the hats pointing downwards.

I have Ultra 5's under my speakers and balanced PSU (on a Stillpoints Component Stand) and a quartet of Ultra 6's with Ultra Bases supporting my power amp.

As with the Ultra SS, slacken them off a bit on the screw thread and place under transformers etc, for maximum effect!

Substituting them for manufacturer's own feet or placing them in the same position (apart from speakers) is not necessarily a good idea.

+1
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 02-10-2018, 10:48 AM

"Like water or electricity, the faster it is directed, the more control you have"

of course...
Old 02-13-2018, 11:21 PM

"they "wick" internal vibration away and dissipate this as heat,"

of course..
Old 03-07-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modlin View Post
"they "wick" internal vibration away and dissipate this as heat,"

of course..
They work regardless of how mysterious it seems.