AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 03-26-2018, 05:05 AM

Very interesting thread as i'm upgrading now after 17 years of buying nothing new.
Tomorrow the Niagara 1000 and 0,9m NRG-4 will be here.
Niagara will replace the old "Sun-Leiste" (a german product?):
http://www.hifi-spezialist-reiter.de/sun-leiste.html
NRG-4 goes to the Power-Amp.
The big industrial PowerCord will go from Wall to Niagara (and will be replaced soon).

I wonder how much improvement i'd get with the Thunder. And what to improve next in order.

I think: Most important Connection is Niagara to Amp. Second important from Wall to Niagara. Third important from Niagara to the Wadia-CD-Player. Right?
Old 03-26-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP View Post
Very interesting thread as i'm upgrading now after 17 years of buying nothing new.
Tomorrow the Niagara 1000 and 0,9m NRG-4 will be here.
Niagara will replace the old "Sun-Leiste" (a german product?):
http://www.hifi-spezialist-reiter.de/sun-leiste.html
NRG-4 goes to the Power-Amp.
The big industrial PowerCord will go from Wall to Niagara (and will be replaced soon).

I wonder how much improvement i'd get with the Thunder. And what to improve next in order.

I think: Most important Connection is Niagara to Amp. Second important from Wall to Niagara. Third important from Niagara to the Wadia-CD-Player. Right?
That one I’m not sure. I’ve tried several permutations from wall to torus and then to components.

It seems they all make a difference.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:16 AM

They all do make a difference, but I'm aware of several cable companies that recommend using your best power cable from the wall to the distributor/conditioner. One benefit of that configuration is that all of the connected components can potentially benefit from its effect.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:41 PM

I'm listening to music as I type and want to say so much about how the Audioquest power cords have transformed my system, but I hesitate to say more than I already have. Now, I just can't help but to wonder what adding a Dragon source power cord on my Dave DAC would do? Has anyone directly compared the Hurricane to a Dragon source power cord?
Old 04-20-2018, 05:24 AM

I'm still waiting for my final Hurricane power cord. I ordered it a month ago and Audioquest told me yesterday it may be another 60 days!!! 90 days for a power cord? Someone help me understand?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:25 PM
McKlipschead

Audioquest does not manufacture their own power cables, might still be Chinese producer?
Old 04-22-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
I'm still waiting for my final Hurricane power cord. I ordered it a month ago and Audioquest told me yesterday it may be another 60 days!!! 90 days for a power cord? Someone help me understand?
I ordered mine at the start of March, so if I’m in the same boat then...

Might cancel my order; replacing two NRG 1000s is falling lower in priority than some other stuff I want to do with my turntable setups. The old NRG Wild and WEL are also great cords, and they'll continue to come down in price on the secondary markets. I wonder if Tornado/Thunder have this supply bottleneck too? I remember some years ago I wanted to buy an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze badly, but they could not produce for several months due to the cantilever part supplier. Eventually I gave up and bought on the used market.

Last edited by mulveling; 04-22-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:30 PM

It’s true. AQ underestimated the popularity of the Hurricanes. Sales are 400% more than projected. The cables are made in China and terminated on the US. I’m very concerned that they begin to cut corners on order to keep up with demand.

I’m faced with a back order as well, although I wasn’t told it would be 90 days. That’s not cool.

I’m wondering if I might cancel my order.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 04-26-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
It’s true. AQ underestimated the popularity of the Hurricanes. Sales are 400% more than projected. The cables are made in China and terminated on the US. I’m very concerned that they begin to cut corners on order to keep up with demand.

I’m faced with a back order as well, although I wasn’t told it would be 90 days. That’s not cool.

I’m wondering if I might cancel my order.
Unfortunately the last Tornado I received had to be returned. It didn't have a battery pack attached to it. Is this an isolated problem or are your fears coming to fruition? I'm with you and I'm really worried about them cutting corners on my Hurricane! The dealer contacted me today and said I should have my Hurricane within two weeks.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:44 PM

My dealer informed me they're shipping Hurricanes now, and I should have mine very soon (hopefully tomorrow?). So I didn't have to cancel. But I ordered right around late-Feb / March 1, and I'm wondering whether later orders may have to endure another backorder round (just my speculation)?

Getting a Tornado without battery pack is a big miss on their part; very unlike AQ. I'll let you guys know if anything's amiss on my 'canes! This huge demand influx makes clear just how big a deal power cords have become in our hobby. Once a cord line is blessed and ordained as "great", it sells like crazy.

Last edited by mulveling; 04-26-2018 at 09:48 PM.