AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 11-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Semi-audiophile

Just a thought. I just made my Christmas holiday travel plans and the two round-trip flights combined (on Southwest) cost less than the 2m pair of Super ICs connecting my pre and power amps. They'd be less than a 1.5m pair too. Interesting.

But the Supers sound good.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 11-10-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markramler View Post
Dave
I concur with your assessment of the Gen 5 TA Reference Power Isolater and XL power cords. I have also been demoing them for several days. They provided significantly greater dynamics, attack, depth and life to the music. I currently have TA XL Gen 5 signal cables so I believe their are synergies with the power cords. I placed an order with my dealer today.

Mark
Mark,
Sorry I missed this. What are the odds of 2 of us demoing the same thing at the same time?? I put in my system and immediately liked what I heard. Not just a change but better sound, everything you mentioned I agree 100%. Did the Power Isolator replace anything? The Ref XL PCs replaced stock Nagra cords on my amps and the difference was substantial right out of the box. Its been about 3 weeks now and everything seems to have settled in. I'm really liking the Gen V gear!

Dave
Old 11-09-2017, 01:04 AM

Dave
The TA PIR and XL PCs replace Shunyata Triton V3, Typhon, Denali 2000T and various Sigma PCs. I plan to demo the TA Power Isolator XL when it is released next year as I need a second conditioner. I am very impressed with TA Gen5 power gear it is now on a par with their signal cables.
Mark
Old 11-09-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markramler View Post
Dave
The TA PIR and XL PCs replace Shunyata Triton V3, Typhon, Denali 2000T and various Sigma PCs. I plan to demo the TA Power Isolator XL when it is released next year as I need a second conditioner. I am very impressed with TA Gen5 power gear it is now on a par with their signal cables.
Mark
Is the Isolator XL going to have 8 outlets like the Reference? The opus has 2, maybe 4 on the XL? Im going to hear the Opus Isolators at the end of the month with Alexia 2 and MSB Dac. Interested to see if they plug the amps into the Opus which isn't supposed to sacrifice any dynamics.

Dave
Old 11-09-2017, 12:42 PM

Back in early August I compared the Opus PowerIsolator connected to my Momentum's versus my current set-up using the Denali 6000T. I did prefer the Opus unit but didn't feel the cost (for me) was worth the difference. It is possible the difference with the Opus would have even been greater if I was able to use the Opus PC that come with the unit but I made the mistake of grabbing a pair of 20amp versions and not with the 15amp version I needed for my amps.

Who knows once I have funded all of the items on my audio wish list I might go back for the Opus PowerIsolator.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Back in early August I compared the Opus PowerIsolator connected to my Momentum's versus my current set-up using the Denali 6000T. I did prefer the Opus unit but didn't feel the cost (for me) was worth the difference. It is possible the difference with the Opus would have even been greater if I was able to use the Opus PC that come with the unit but I made the mistake of grabbing a pair of 20amp versions and not with the 15amp version I needed for my amps.

Who knows once I have funded all of the items on my audio wish list I might go back for the Opus PowerIsolator.
Jim,
I remember reading about that. I haven't heard the Opus yet and doubt I'd get one but if the performance is there, who knows. Based on what the XL cords did with my amps, it may be worth a look to try the Opus Isolator with the Opus cords. I'm guessing the difference will be noticeable. What else is on your wish list? I saw you replaced the Meridian with the Rossini and I hope you're enjoying the change.

Dave
Old 11-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Is the Isolator XL going to have 8 outlets like the Reference? The opus has 2, maybe 4 on the XL? Im going to hear the Opus Isolators at the end of the month with Alexia 2 and MSB Dac. Interested to see if they plug the amps into the Opus which isn't supposed to sacrifice any dynamics.

Dave
I believe the hierarchy is Opus Power Isolator (OPI) with 2 outlets, then a non-Opus Series Power Isolator MM2 (2 outlets), Reference (4 outlets) and then the PowerIsolator 8 (8 outlets).

These are great units which are actually power distributors -- which implements star - earth technology or similar to address conflicting flows of signal and ground paths along with EMF & RFI which all cause noise on the AC mains. They also say it offers surge protection -- but you know your at gods mercy if & when that occurs.

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
I believe the hierarchy is Opus Power Isolator (OPI) with 2 outlets, then a non-Opus Series Power Isolator MM2 (2 outlets), Reference (4 outlets) and then the PowerIsolator 8 (8 outlets).

These are great units which are actually power distributors -- which implements star - earth technology or similar to address conflicting flows of signal and ground paths along with EMF & RFI which all cause noise on the AC mains. They also say it offers surge protection -- but you know your at gods mercy if & when that occurs.

Best Sir,

Bob
Bob,
I may be mistaken but I believe Transparent hasn't updated the website to include the new Reference Power Isolator yet. the one I am demoing includes 8 outlets and is shaped similarly to the Opus Isolator. Mark mentioned an XL version that I assumed would be in the middle with 4 outlets. They do sound very nice and IMO are priced competitively considering the power cable they come with. Thanks for the info!

Dave
Old 11-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Ah sou desu ne - as they say -- I was going by the web site listed models.

Anyways -- nice.

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:03 AM

Yes the PIXL will have two zones and four outlets. I did compare the Reference, XL and Opus PCs direct to the wall.The Opus did outperform the XL but the XL was very competitive and the Reference was no slouch.