AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 03-16-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Again, Analog or Digital greatness is in the mastering ...........
I certainly agree with this. That's why I try to be careful about who to buy music from regardless of media.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 03-16-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post

Again, Analog or Digital greatness is in the mastering ...........

We agree on this for sure.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-18-2018, 08:48 PM

Congratulations on your new vinyl rig! I am the very happy owner of the Grado Statement V2 cart and I love it. My arm is an Origin Live , which is built off the rega "platform" and it is wonderful match.
Ana Mighty Sounds Paris TNT 15 SilverS Cartridge
Benchmark Dac 3
Silenzio Server by E
Benchmark LA4 preamp
Benchmark ABH2 amplifiers x 2
Volti Audio Rival speakers
Old 03-18-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnich View Post
Congratulations on your new vinyl rig! I am the very happy owner of the Grado Statement V2 cart and I love it. My arm is an Origin Live , which is built off the rega "platform" and it is wonderful match.
Thank you. I am finding my system to be very neutral while bringing vinyl's strengths to the table in a way that gives me a clear window into my records. It seems the Statement 2 cart is a giant killer. While not cheap at $3500 retail, it's relatively cheap compared to carts it matches in performance. I've also read various reviewers state that it is a true reference cartridge comparing well with anything out there.
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnich View Post
A point of correction regarding your OL Encounter, while it is designed using the Rega arm geometry it is not based on a Rega platform. Many earlier OL arms were indeed modified Rega arms but the Encounter is a newer and entirely in-house manufactured tonearm.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post
Thank you. I am finding my system to be very neutral while bringing vinyl's strengths to the table in a way that gives me a clear window into my records. It seems the Statement 2 cart is a giant killer. While not cheap at $3500 retail, it's relatively cheap compared to carts it matches in performance. I've also read various reviewers state that it is a true reference cartridge comparing well with anything out there.
Congrats on your excellent new analog front end! I'd be curious to know whether you used a tonearm spacer to set proper VTA due to the height of the Grado Statement 2 (relative to Rega cartridges), and if so what height. TIA
Old 03-20-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Congrats on your excellent new analog front end! I'd be curious to know whether you used a tonearm spacer to set proper VTA due to the height of the Grado Statement 2 (relative to Rega cartridges), and if so what height. TIA
You know? I have not yet. I'm still learning about various settings to make with cartridges. While I took pains to install the cartridge and align it using Mobile Fidelity's Geo Disk, I haven't looked into VTA yet. That said, the rig sounds terrific. If I can get more out of it than what I'm hearing, I'm very open to advice
Old 03-20-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post
... I took pains to install the cartridge and align it using Mobile Fidelity's Geo Disk, I haven't looked into VTA yet ... If I can get more out of it than what I'm hearing, I'm very open to advice
I don't trust gauges such as the Geo-Disk. In my opinion, unless you're using something such as the old Shure C-Pec3 (and even then!), you're not likely to achieve proper phono cartridge alignment unless you use a mirrored gauge that allows you to align the actual cantilever/stylus assembly. Examples of these include the Mint gauge (which I've never used) or the WallyTractor, which is excellent. These gauges ensure that the cantilever is tangent to the groove; gauges that align the cartridge body can't accommodate a cantilever that isn't "true" with respect to the cartridge body itself.

It doesn't matter whether you're using a pivoted arm or a tangential tracking arm - failure to get this adjustment spot-on can't be compensated for elsewhere. And I am convinced, based on first-hand experience, that many users who are often tweaking their VTA or SRA do so in vain. The changes they think that result from the VTA/SRA adjustments are largely a consequence of failing to get tangency correct in the first place.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
...you're not likely to achieve proper phono cartridge alignment unless you use a mirrored gauge that allows you to align the actual cantilever/stylus assembly.
I have both the Geo Disc and a Mint. While Mint may be a tweak more accurate, the Geo Disc does allow for alignment to the cantilever, not just the body. It works fine.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-20-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
... the Geo Disc does allow for alignment to the cantilever, not just the body. It works fine.
Does it have a mirror? If it doesn't, how do you know you're aligning the cantilever? What prevents parallax from inducing error?
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.