AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 09-16-2016, 12:38 AM

Things such as sound absorbing and diffusion panels are typically used for improving the sound quality of your room after it has already been soundproofed. They will do nothing to soundproof the room.

The problem with any kind of sound proofing or room within a room method is that it is very expensive. 15 years a ago, I knew a guy who soundproofed his garage so he could play his drums and the materials alone cost him $5000. It wasn't even completely soundproof either because you could still hear the drums if you got within several feet of the garage.

Your subwoofers will be especially difficult to soundproof especially in an apartment.

The only suggestion I can think of is to move to a town where houses are more affordable. I hope things work out for you one way or another.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:25 AM

Thanks. I don't know about houses when I get from ss $754/month. I've been told it's possible from a loan officer but I'd have to live in the boonies. Far from where I am now. But then quicken loans says different kind of. Like no basically unless it's short sale or foreclosure type. And even then they said $30k max. But I have talked to someone last year that said she's helped others like me. So I don't know.

Hopefully kcha will work with me.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 AM

Not trolling. Are you kidding or just trying to be mean to me?
I forgot about this thread. I'm sorry

Last edited by buggs1a; 04-20-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:35 AM

Isn't there something to put on the wall that will lower vol of external noise? There's got to be a way to do what I'm asking. External noise is affecting me HUGE. I have several mental disorders and the external noise is totally wrecking havoc in me. I'm afraid. I'm OCD. Anxiety disorder. ADHD. Depression. Aspergers Syndrome. Tourette Syndrome. This is an absolute necessity that I get a handle on this issue.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
Isn't there something to put on the wall that will lower vol of external noise? There's got to be a way to do what I'm asking. External noise is affecting me HUGE. I have several mental disorders and the external noise is totally wrecking havoc in me. I'm afraid. I'm OCD. Anxiety disorder. ADHD. Depression. Aspergers Syndrome. Tourette Syndrome. This is an absolute necessity that I get a handle on this issue.
Try a 2nd layer of drywall, at least 3/8" sheets and preferably 1/2" over what you already have....if memory serves there is also an acoustic barrier product/sheeting to put between the 2 layers. Mount 2nd layer orthogonal to first so that the seamimg is at right angles to original and the seams do not line up...
Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 AM

Thanks. Ugh. Not something kcha will do or let me do. I guess I'm just sol and will have to be transferred to somewhere else or to another organization which I'll have to go through the same thing again. Not gonna happen.

There's gotta be an organization to help me find a place that meets my needs (
Old 04-21-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Ugh. Not something kcha will do or let me do. I guess I'm just sol and will have to be transferred to somewhere else or to another organization which I'll have to go through the same thing again. Not gonna happen.

There's gotta be an organization to help me find a place that meets my needs (
Sorry to hear that....best of luck to you.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I will be renting.

I'm dealing with King county housing authority in Washington state. I've told them what I need but they seem pretty stupid by saying nothing or they don't know anything.

they keep giving me places that don't meet my needs. The last place was 50 yards from a train. So I turned it down. It was loud! Would there have been anyway to make it so I couldn't hear it? Or way less?

I'm desperate because of my mental illnesses and kcha being so difficult to work with me.
When you're with a housing authority getting a substantial housing subsidy, you really cannot expect them to make the sort of accommodation you are looking for.

The suggestion to use headphones so you can listen at decent volumes and block out extraneous noise is a good one.

You need to make some accommodations too.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 04-21-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:19 PM

If you are in a housing authority owned dwelling, there is a very good possibility that federal funds support in part, the housing authority's budget. If that is the case your unit is likely subject to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act [Please note: this is not legal advice and is not intended to be such]. The housing authority may have an obligation to provide the accommodation you need. You should contact HUD's Region X office in Seattle and tell them what your problem is and if they can help. HUD and also ngo housing advocacy agencies are very aggressive in the Pacific Northwest. You may find some help there.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 PM

Robfine, thanks. Such a nice dog in your pic.

I forgot about the advocate route.

There is an accommodation process. I been through it. But the guy seems unwilling to even try. He won't even talk to others to see if there's anything to do.

I thought to ask here since you all seem to know about sound treating and stuff for theaters.