AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
I suppose if you live in Iraq or Syria then it might be useful for home defense.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:00 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
I suppose if you live in Iraq or Syria then it might be useful for home defense.
Bud.......Or Detroit, Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Chicago where guns laws are the most restrictive in the country and murders rates are through the roof year after year. Those gun restrictions are making a real difference there.

Living in rural areas of the country, the largest part of the United States by the way, one doesn't have a cop and a squad car within blocks most of the time. Response time where I live is about 20 minutes if I'm lucky. You protect yourself or you become a victim. There are wild animals to deal with in rural areas as well.

Everyone has a right to make up their own mind about gun ownership, but no one has the right to tell me I cannot defend myself from harm in any manner I select. Dialing 911 is not a viable self defense option when seconds matter and life hangs in the balance. Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Suit yourself. I will do the same.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-17-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHV View Post
" What are your thoughts on AR-15 as a choice for home defense? Never considered it to be that."
Never considered AR for home defense. What ammo. to avoid over penetration, I just have FMJ and M855 for paper punching.

Steve
This seems to be one option:
Hornady TAP Personal Defense .223

Any experience?

Steve
Old 06-17-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
And in a fantasy world where the bogeyman lurks, and is out to get you.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Personally I think a Remington 870 being racked (schuck schuck) is the best for home defense. Unless the intruder is completely whacked on PCP, they're bolting back out the door or window. If not, the buckshot will be a plenty good "deterrent".

Now that's not saying my AR doesn't have a place in home defense. It's just that the 870 is the go-to for me.
I have to disagree. With a shotgun there is the danger of hitting the stereo or toy trains.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
And in a fantasy world where the bogeyman lurks, and is out to get you.
+1
Old 06-17-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Bud.......Or Detroit, Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Chicago where guns laws are the most restrictive in the country and murders rates are through the roof year after year....
I lived in Chicago (the nice part ) for several years and never felt like I needed a gun for anything
Old 06-18-2016, 12:00 AM

I have always wanted an Uzi and just enough wooded land around the house to shoot a trespasser and not have any witnesses!

Alternatively, a heat seeking, servo driven machine gun on a turret above the house would also be a good choice.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 06-18-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:54 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
I lived in Chicago (the nice part ) for several years and never felt like I needed a gun for anything
Carlos.......That's fine. Lucky you. Do you buckle your seat belt only when you think you might have an accident? I would rather wear my seatbelt and never need it than to crash one time and not be wearing it. The same is true with self defense. I would rather own a gun, be proficient with it and never need it than to need a gun to save my life and not have one. It is a personal choice and a serious responsibility. I respect those who do not wish to own a gun. I expect the same respect for my position.

In thirty years of concealed carry I have never shot or killed anyone. I pray I never have to use deadly force to protect my life or the lives of those I love and care for, but I am not so naïve to believe a cell phone will save my life should I need a gun. In thirty plus years I had to display my weapon twice to protect myself from harm. I both cases that's all that was necessary to end the confrontations, i.e. attempted robberies, one a white male with a knife at 5:00AM in a Shoney's Motel parking lot in Georgia, the other with two black males in a Howard Johnson motel parking lot in Alabama late one afternoon. No one died, no one went to the hospital, but the situation was brought under control when it would have otherwise been violent. In addition to those two incidences I had my life threatened on two different occasions by two different employees that I had to terminate from employment on two different projects, one in Beckley, West Virginia and the second one in Palm Harbor, Florida. Trust me, when a man says, "I know where you are staying. I will kill you", it raises your threat awareness level way up for months, even after you report it to the police. Owning and carrying a gun provided some measure of comfort for my safety during those times.

Owning and carrying a firearm is a personal choice and one not to be taken lightly. I do not force my opinions about gun ownership on anyone but I believe in protecting my personal safety by whatever means is necessary. I am a strong supporter of the Constitution and particularly the 2nd Amendment. The 2nd Amendment also protects the other Constitutional Amendments like the 1st Amendment, the one that protects free speech for anyone including those who wishes to disagree with me.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-18-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:08 AM

In terms of home defense a pistol is far easier for close quarters use. Even an M4 replica with a 16" barrel and retracting stock is hard to put on target when going around corners and other obstacles. My preferred home defense weapon is my Sig P229 in 9mm with an attached light that provides enough lumens for a dark home.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Closed Thread