AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Streaming & Television Shows

Streaming & Television Shows Netflix, Amazon, Cable & Network Series

Old 06-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
We are planing to start watching Chernobyl shortly. Heavy topic.

I recall watching documentaries some years after the accident about all the poor kids that were born with severe birth defects, it was terrible. There are still cases to this day of thyroid cancer in both adults and teenagers that were born way after the accident.

The Fukushima reactor will not be safe to enter for another 30-40 years with any protection we have today. As it stands now, any person would be dead within 3 min and the robotic cameras they send in to view what’s going on last 2 hrs only. The electronic components can not withstand radiation that high. That’s insane radiation levels. What a disaster...

There is an alarming raise of thyroid cancer amongst young people in Europe.
People who were little when Tsjernobyl happened got a heavy dose of radiation in their growing thyroid gland...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-15-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
There is an alarming raise of thyroid cancer amongst young people in Europe.
People who were little when Tsjernobyl happened got a heavy dose of radiation in their growing thyroid gland...
Yes, I’ve heard that. It is alarming but the rates are also increasing worldwide. Most people are not even aware that the west coast of US has increased radiation levels in the sand from the radiation that is slowly leeching from Fukushima into the Pacific and washing up on the shores. There is no fish within 60 mile radius of Fukushima anymore. This is straight from the mouths of the Japanese fisherman who depend on fishing daily. It is spreading and they can’t do much about it. What they tell us is only part of the whole truth...

“The U.S. and Canadian coastal waters in the Pacific are contaminated, analyses show, but radiation levels are still well below federal standards set by the Environmental Protection Agency”. I suppose when and if the radiation levels are above the federal standards, they may have to raise the standards.

Last edited by PHC1; 06-15-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:14 PM

“Eating a single dish above the U.S. or Japanese cap is no guarantee you’ll get sick, Buesseler said. “You’d have to eat above that limit every day to have what a government considers a significant cancer risk.”

This isn’t to say all fish everywhere had equally trace levels of radioactivity. Tuna caught in Japanese waters after the disaster had around 15 times more radioactive cesium, Fisher said — so, above Japanese government limits, but below U.S. ones. And certain types of seafood caught in and around Fukushima Harbor also exceeded Japan’s radiation cap.” For Fisher and Buesseler, there was one unsettling finding to emerge from their search for traces of Fukushima in the ocean. They discovered that no U.S. government agency is responsible for testing radioactivity in marine environments. After being rejected by a string of federal offices, both had to turn to private funding for their fish and water tests.

But fear not because there are articles out there that will convince you bananas and airplane flights will expose you to more radiation. Life goes on.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:43 PM

From an article

“I am a scientist, so my first response after the accident was to head to Japan, collect samples and assess the situation. Near the reactors, where we were not allowed to sample, levels of radioactivity in the ocean spiked to more than 10 million times the pre-accident background in early April.”

“To my surprise, as radioactivity levels near Japan decreased, public concern in the United States increased. Maps pinpointing the spread and dilution of radioactive cesium-134 and -137—the principal markers of radioactivity from Fukushima—did little to allay public concerns. But because no federal agency claims oversight for radioactivity in ocean water, there was no place I could apply for funding to respond to these concerns in a comprehensive way.”

“In the days and years after Fukushima, I would find myself responding to audiences up and down the West Coast who expressed concern about reports of a radioactive “blob” making its way across the Pacific or dead birds found on a beach or decomposing starfish. I kept hearing the same questions from worried parents, fisherman and surfers: Is it safe? Should I stay out of the water? Can I eat seafood? Is the Pacific dying?”

Not sure why that was a surprise.... People are rightly concerned.

Goes on to say

“The result was Our Radioactive Ocean (ORO), a crowd-funded campaign to measure the levels of radioactive cesium along the West Coast of North America and around Hawaii. Our goal was to empower individuals and groups to collect water at their favorite beach with our simple kit, then send the sample to my lab for analysis.“

“With over 400 nuclear power plants around the world, many adjacent to or draining into the ocean, it is imperative that we have a cadre of citizens and scientists working side-by-side to understand the impact of radioactivity on the oceans. Engaging citizen scientists doesn’t get us all the way there, but it is a step in the right direction.”

Long story short, if this is study is in any way accurate and FWIW, the levels they are finding are still lower than in 1960’s after the fallout of Nuclear Weapons testing. How reassuring!
Old 06-15-2019, 01:03 PM

Time to watch Chernobyl instead of posting away here but I’ll leave you gentlemen with this thought. How our society works this day and age is that we are not getting the full picture.

Google and you will find the first few pages littered with articles of reassurance. Bananas are worse, airplanes are worse, cosmic radiation, blah, blah, blah.. When they can’t do anything about it, response number one is to pacify the public. This is not a concern, you will all be fine is the motto.

The reality of things are quite different. Now I know there is nothing more they can do at the moment but please don’t insult the intelligence of the masses and don’t pull wool over our eyes. Soviet Union did that. Let’s not be the same way.

The West Coast is not exactly OK after Fukushima. https://www.globalresearch.ca/28-sig...ushima/5355280

Last edited by PHC1; 06-15-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:19 PM

If anyone is skeptical of the 28 signs the west coast is fried, you can google them each independently.... they are there.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:38 PM

I watched all 5 episodes and it scared the hell out of me like no horror movie ever could.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:45 PM

Increased rates of advanced thyroid cancer in California: We have noted an unusually high rate of advanced thyroid cancers presenting from across California. We examined the rates of thyroid cancer presentation throughout California for potential geographic clustering. https://www.journalofsurgicalresearc...062-8/abstract

Fur loss, open sores seen in polar bears. http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...in-polar-bears

Sea Lion death epidemic: https://www.zerohedge.com/contribute...ons-california

Sockeye unprecedented closure: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...?service=print

“Absolutely Every One” – 15 Out of 15 – Bluefin Tuna Tested In California Waters Contaminated with Fukushima Radiation https://washingtonsblog.com/2012/05/...radiation.html
Old 06-15-2019, 01:49 PM

Canada: Fish Eaters Threatened by Fukushima Radiation

After the world's worst nuclear accident in 25 years, authorities in Canada said people living here were safe and faced no health risks from the fallout from Fukushima.

They said most of the radiation from the crippled Japanese nuclear power plant would fall into the ocean, where it would be diluted and not pose any danger.

Dr. Dale Dewar wasn't convinced. Dewar, a family physician in Wynyard, Sask., doesn't eat a lot of seafood herself, but when her grandchildren come to visit, she carefully checks seafood labels.

She wants to make sure she isn't serving them anything that might come from the western Pacific Ocean.

Dewar, the executive director of Physicians for Global Survival, a Canadian anti-nuclear group, says the Canadian government has downplayed the radiation risks from Fukushima and is doing little to monitor them.

"We suspect we're going to see more cancers, decreased fetal viability, decreased fertility, increased metabolic defects - and we expect them to be generational," she said.

Evidence has emerged that the impacts of the disaster on the Pacific Ocean are worse than expected.

Since a tsunami and earthquake destroyed the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant last March, radioactive cesium has consistently been found in 60 to 80 per cent of Japanese fishing catches each month, as tested by Japan's Fisheries Agency.

In November, 65 per cent of the catches tested positive for cesium (a radioactive material created by nuclear reactors), according to a Montreal Gazette analysis of data on the fisheries agency's website. Cesium is a long-lived radionuclide that persists in the environment and increases the risk of cancer, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, which says the most common form of radioactive cesium has a half-life of 30 years.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency, which monitors food safety, says it is aware of the numbers but says the amounts of cesium detected are small.

"Approximately 60 per cent of fish have shown to have detectable levels of radionuclides," it said in an emailed statement.

"The majority of exported fish to Canada are caught much farther from the coast of Japan, and the Japanese testing has shown that these fish have not been contaminated with high levels of radionuclides."

But the Japanese data show elevated levels of contamination in several seafood species that Japan has exported to Canada in recent years.

In November, 18 per cent of cod exceeded a new radiation ceiling for food to be implemented in Japan in April - along with 21 per cent of eel, 22 per cent of sole and 33 per cent of seaweed.

Overall, one in five of the 1,100 catches tested in November exceeded the new ceiling of 100 becquerels per kilogram. (Canada's ceiling for radiation in food is much higher: 1,000 becquerels per kilogram.)

"I would probably be hesitant to eat a lot of those fish," said Nicholas Fisher, a marine sciences professor at the State University of New York at Stony Brook.

Fisher is researching how radiation from Fukushima is affecting the Pacific fishery. "There has been virtually zero monitoring and research on this," he said, calling on other governments to do more radiation tests on the ocean's marine life.

"Is it something we need to be terrified of? No. Is it something we need to monitor? Yes, particularly in coastal waters where concentrations are high."

Contamination of fish in the Pacific Ocean could have wide-ranging consequences for millions.

The Pacific is home to the world's largest fishery, which is in turn, the main source of protein for about one billion people in Asia alone.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:25 PM

It is unfortunate but it is a reality of things. Radiation disasters never go away without leaving a trail of very unfortunate events.

My father is an engineer who spent 40 years working at various nuclear plants. He is a big proponent of nuclear energy. I cannot disagree with the benefits of such energy but it is very unfortunate what happens when things go wrong like they did in Chernobyl and Fukushima. We have 400 other nuclear plants out there around the world and let’s hope none are ever an issue. Looking back from some point in time in the future, I doubt many will say the risk was worth the benefit but hindsight is always 20/20. But neither can we really make do without them today.

That people will pay the price of such technology goes without saying.

Thyroid abnormalities have shown up in American babies living along the West Coast, which researchers say was caused by radiation that leaked from Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in 2011. The new report’s conclusions “suggest that Americans may have been harmed by Fukushima fallout,” said one of the project’s researchers, Joseph Mangano. “Studies, especially of the youngest, must proceed immediately."

http://www.allgov.com/usa/ca/news/ca...08?news=849668

Last edited by PHC1; 06-16-2019 at 12:48 PM.