AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 06-13-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
How many beers?
I wouldn't say a lot but by the end of the night I was seeing things...

Old 07-12-2019, 05:15 AM

Curious how your Tesla is going as we are looking at something for home. Any more music observations when running off battery power?
Old 07-12-2019, 11:27 AM

Hi, love the Tesla's! I've listened a few times when I was on pure Tesla power and can't say I noticed any difference in the sound, knowing that the battery was on just fells nice.

By far the biggest impact is that I don't lose power at all when the grid goes down. Even though we have underground electric in my hood the power still would go out wreaking havoc on my smart home and IoT stuff. The Teslas have solved that stress and I can work from home with confidence. Check this screenshot of the Tesla app to see how wonky the grid is here, with the Tesla's, the clocks don't even have time to blink before I'm on battery.

Last edited by alkizz; 07-12-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:39 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkizz View Post
Hi, love the Tesla's! I've listened a few times when I was on pure Tesla power and can't say I noticed any difference in the sound, knowing that the battery was on just fells nice.

By far the biggest impact is that I don't lose power at all when the grid goes down. Even though we have underground electric in my hood the power still would go out wreaking havoc on my smart home and IoT stuff. The Teslas have solved that stress and I can work from home with confidence. Check this screenshot of the Tesla app to see how wonky the grid is here, with the Tesla's, the clocks don't even have time to blink before I'm on battery.

Very Cool
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-04-2019, 03:28 PM

Thanks alkizz for the info! I also wondered about the quality of the dc to ac converter for these batteries. Seems like all is well, and potentially even better than the normal grid power!

Curious about the way the batteries are hooked up. A company came by to give me a quote and said they can hookup the solar batteries to a max of 4 breakers where each is 15a max. Your setup sounds like whole-house battery backup. Is that a correct assumption? Can you share any info about how the batteries power your house? Is it something unique about the Tesla PowerWalls?
Old 08-04-2019, 04:38 PM

Default Tesla Powerwall

I don’t know how good their inverters are, but just because you’re on battery power doesn’t necessarily make it better. It could actually make it worse. Remember, inverters “create” the 60 Hz sine wave. If they don’t do a good job at recreating a pure 60Hz sine wave, it could (and most likely will) sound bad. It would be really interesting to put a scope on it (or better yet, a power analyzer) and see what the distortion is like feeding your sound system. In any case, the Powerwall is awesome and I’m seriously considering one or two.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:19 PM

We have had a 26 panel array and two PowerWall 2s for about 18 months. I did not expect much change in the way my system sounded because it was well grounded using ground rods before we went with the new off grid system. My amps, Concert Fidelity, are on a SilverCircle 5 SE and the preamp and phono stage, all Rowland, are battery powered. Everything just seems to have a little blacker background when off the grid, and you can hear a bit more micro detail. On my system the changes are not huge. Those changes certainly are not justified by the initial cost of going off grid.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0b View Post
Thanks alkizz for the info! I also wondered about the quality of the dc to ac converter for these batteries. Seems like all is well, and potentially even better than the normal grid power!

Curious about the way the batteries are hooked up. A company came by to give me a quote and said they can hookup the solar batteries to a max of 4 breakers where each is 15a max. Your setup sounds like whole-house battery backup. Is that a correct assumption? Can you share any info about how the batteries power your house? Is it something unique about the Tesla PowerWalls?
Hi, yes it's a whole house backup and it's awesome. Solar during the day and (mostly) tesla during the night or outages.

I can't overstate how nice it is to never lose power.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
I don’t know how good their inverters are, but just because you’re on battery power doesn’t necessarily make it better. It could actually make it worse. Remember, inverters “create” the 60 Hz sine wave. If they don’t do a good job at recreating a pure 60Hz sine wave, it could (and most likely will) sound bad. It would be really interesting to put a scope on it (or better yet, a power analyzer) and see what the distortion is like feeding your sound system. In any case, the Powerwall is awesome and I’m seriously considering one or two.
Listening on tesla only is as good or better than grid, the noise harvestors are still very active during battery power, so you're probably right. Even though the hifi stuff is on dedicated circuits there's still something causing harvestors to blink. I don't hear noise and maybe it's in my head but it does sound a smidge better.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHellow View Post
We have had a 26 panel array and two PowerWall 2s for about 18 months. I did not expect much change in the way my system sounded because it was well grounded using ground rods before we went with the new off grid system. My amps, Concert Fidelity, are on a SilverCircle 5 SE and the preamp and phono stage, all Rowland, are battery powered. Everything just seems to have a little blacker background when off the grid, and you can hear a bit more micro detail. On my system the changes are not huge. Those changes certainly are not justified by the initial cost of going off grid.

Agree, not huge improvements but I'll take it for the peace of mind when the grid is down, which is often for me.