AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Old 11-24-2022, 09:54 PM
Semi-audiophile

Default Unexpected Hum

Hello all,

For the first time since July I was going to play a record. I pulled one out at random to test the new settings on my C2300's MM input to see if I got it right (I'm attempting to increase the gain), and noted the hum coming from the right speaker. I turned everything off, went behind the system and the ground cable seemed a bit out of order. I re-seated it, turned the system back on, put the record on again, still had hum but now no music from the same right channel. I hit the Mono button and got sound from both channels, still with hum from the right channel only. The hum goes up and down with the volume.

I turned everything off again, re-seated the power cord on my C2300, and tried again: only hum from the right speaker (unless I engaged the Mono switch). Finally, I tried playing a CD and had no problem. So it appears to be something specific to the TT setup, which hadn't been touched for months, except to turn on the TT now and then.

I thought I'd run this by the forum before being too quick perhaps to replace the tonearm cable (it's an SME 309 arm). If there's something I haven't tried yet that I've missed, perhaps someone here could point it out. Thanks. BTW, I did just think of cleaning the tonearm cable contacts; I will try that tomorrow.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 11-25-2022, 12:08 AM
Retired

Aren't the phono tubes dedicated in the C2300? You might swap them and see if the hum moves.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-25-2022, 07:46 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Aren't the phono tubes dedicated in the C2300? You might swap them and see if the hum moves.
Yes they are. The hum sounds very much like ground hum; that it goes up and down with the volume suggests it's in the signal path.

Re-routing the tonearm cable is another idea. And since the cartridge is low output I can use the 2300's MC input as well, and am planning to try that. If things are fine, then I would try swapping the tubes in the MM input, as you suggest. The cartridge (a Grado Timbre Sonata3) plays with either.

If the MC input works, that should eliminate the tonearm cable/grounding as the culprit, leaving either the MM tubes or the input itself. I'm no tech, but that's how it seems to me. Will report back after more tests.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 11-25-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
... The hum sounds very much like ground hum; that it goes up and down with the volume ... since the cartridge is low output I can use the 2300's MC input as well ...
I'd guess that's the problem - a low output cart should go to the MC input.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:45 PM
Retired

There are some Grado carts that are noted for having a hum problem on particular turntable/tonearm/preamps. One of the forums has a list of these interactions.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-25-2022, 03:14 PM

loose connection on the tone arm/cartridge?. Since the signal disappeared, and mono works, I would start there. I did that when installing the Ortofon Black; same symptoms.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:41 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
loose connection on the tone arm/cartridge?. Since the signal disappeared, and mono works, I would start there. I did that when installing the Ortofon Black; same symptoms.
Strong possibility
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 11-25-2022, 10:20 PM
Semi-audiophile

Okay, I have just completed another test session, and things are closer to normal. BTW, the TT is a Sota Sapphire VI with a SME 309 arm, if that matters; tonearm cable is Van Den Hul. Here's what happened:

First, I re-oriented the turntable's PC so that it doesn't touch or isn't near any other power cords. It did run perpendicular to a couple and may have been touching them. I relocated the TT's power supply recently, which brought its PC much closer to other PCs. Yesterday was the first time I tried playing any records with it in the new spot.

Second, I switched from the MM to the MC input, turned everything on, then raised the volume without a signal to see what I'd get. With my ear about 3 inches from the speaker, I began to hear hum at about step 39, which increased with volume. Then I went back to zero volume, put on the LP and increased the volume gradually; I didn't hear any hum with the volume up to 36 with my ear right up to the speaker.

Third, I turned everything off, moved the phono cables back to MM input, then repeated the procedure. This time, with no signal I began to hear hum at about step 48. Playing the LP again I was up to step 45 and couldn't discern any hum, even with my ear almost on the speaker. I didn't try the "Mono" setting.

While I'm thinking the power cord adjustment is the main contributor to the improvement I heard, I also changed the settings for the two inputs which has gotten me closer to a volume level comparable to my other sources as well as the Sonata3's specs, as best as I understand them. I'll try dialing that in a bit more now that I have an idea of how to do it. And if the hum problem resurfaces, I'll report it.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:23 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post

This would be something to look at as well. I'm used to hearing hiss or something similar at high volume, not (ground) hum. Even though reduced significantly (it seems), the hum isn't gone.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:19 PM
Semi-audiophile

Follow-up: Turned on the C2300 preamp and MC501 power amps today and ran tests similar to yesterday. With no signal, on the MC input I got up to about step 64 before noise became audible at 2 ft. from the right speaker, and up to 53 on the MM at the same distance. There is no, I repeat NO sound coming from the left channel. That has been the case with every problem of this type that I've ever had. Today, the noise was more like what I've heard before, with the hum underneath a static-like noise. I also re-positioned the TT power supply to its original spot, on the floor between the speakers; that accounts for the additional improvement, I think, as it had been sitting next to my cable box.

For reference, my standard listening volume is 42; I will go lower or higher depending upon the recording. And I would never be listening at the above test volumes normally; it would be much too loud and I would be putting my speakers at risk, not to mention my ears.

The tubes in the MM are Telefunken Black Diamond ECC83TK, made by JJ; in the MC stage are standard JJ ECC83s.

On a lark I switched to the Tuner and DVD inputs and went up to volume step 62. Crickets, both channels. The noise is exclusive to phono, and to the right channel on both inputs. That doesn't seem a coincidence. It may be time to try cpetersen's suggestion and check the tonearm cable; if that doesn't solve things, then I open the C2300 up and mess with the tubes. I may repeat the tests in mono mode, too.