AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Classe' Audio

Classe' Audio Uncompromising Audio

Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp 1080 View Post
Have you tried using the split a/v method? Oppo recommends that connection method. HDMI 1 to your monitor and HDMI 2 straight into the Classe from your 105 for the audio. I tried it with my 105/800 combo and love it. When I listen to shiny discs (CD's) I use the XLR out of the 105 into the 800.
Hi Sharp,

Is it true that if one were to use the XLR out of the Oppo, one has to set HDMI to off for better performance. *sorry for being off topic*

BTW, I use both HDMI outs to the 800 is split mode. I read that HDMI two has better audio so I use HDMI 1 as video only and 2 as audio and configure the 800 as such.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp 1080 View Post
Have you tried using the split a/v method? Oppo recommends that connection method. HDMI 1 to your monitor and HDMI 2 straight into the Classe from your 105 for the audio. I tried it with my 105/800 combo and love it.
Are you sure about this? Maybe using an Oppo 103, but with 95 and 105 Oppo recommends the analog connection. I have 95 and SSP 800 and this is my choice after several cross listening session
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Sonically challenged

Any rec's on balanced cables from the 800 to amp? I have about a 1k budget for this and am using a Mac 207 amp into Wilson Sasha's.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
Any rec's on balanced cables from the 800 to amp? I have about a 1k budget for this and am using a Mac 207 amp into Wilson Sasha's.
You can get a quality pair of used bal ics on audiogon. I like wireworld or transparent. I use both in different systems. Wireworld silver starlight for hdmi is excellent at a reasonable price. oppo 95/105 is the best deal in the audio world hands down for both audio or video.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:18 PM

-- AudioQuest is also good; XLR interconnect cables.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Sonically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhds View Post
You can get a quality pair of used bal ics on audiogon. I like wireworld or transparent. I use both in different systems. Wireworld silver starlight for hdmi is excellent at a reasonable price. oppo 95/105 is the best deal in the audio world hands down for both audio or video.
Thanks. How does the Oppo compare to the Pioneer BD 09 which is starting to get a little long in the teeth, although it is an excellent transport with the SSP 800.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Mike - definitely a Classe fan here! I would have ordered one - but I wanted desperately to have Dolby Pro Logic IIz. I put these height speakers in and haven't been able to use them! Yes, I know that sounds crazy - but they are collecting dust. If the CP-800 had that, I would have ordered it in a second. Huge huge Classe fan here!
There was a bit of a licensing debacle that prevented DPL IIz from happening. It's still a remote possibility but I wouldn't hold my breath. I pushed Classe' hard for three years just to add Dolby Volume. From that I learned to enjoy the SSP for what it has rather than frustrate over what it doesn't.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post
There was a bit of a licensing debacle that prevented DPL IIz from happening. It's still a remote possibility but I wouldn't hold my breath. I pushed Classe' hard for three years just to add Dolby Volume. From that I learned to enjoy the SSP for what it has rather than frustrate over what it doesn't.
RebelMan - I'm not surprised with Dolby licensing issues. Out of curiosity - do you work for Classe or just have some really good connections there? You seem quite knowledgeable of the behind the scenes - which is great!! Thanks!

As a side, I called my contact there yesterday and pushed him to bring up the whole DSD thing with the CP800. He seemed interested....but I have my doubts it will ever happen.

Mike

Mike
Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 PM

I dont work for Classe' but I have been fortunate enough to befriend the company top brass for the past 8 years. I have spent most of that time posting at HTGuide but they have recently limited visibility of the manufacturer forums to registered users that must be logged in which I have some objections to. I don't care to much for the layout at AVS so here I am. My only gripe here is the annual fee required to allow posting images and sending PMs.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM

Hey everyone,
I have been scouting around for a future AV Preamp (I currently have the Marantz AV7005) and came across the SSP-800. In the running as well is the Cary Audio Cinema 12. I know Classe's reputation precedes them but can anyone offer some advice on which way to go? I have a separate Audio Research 2-channel preamp for music and plan to connect it to the AV which will handle movies (thereby bypassing the 2-channel). I know the emphasis with both units revolves primarily around sonics which parallels my interest (as I'd rather have my BD player handle the video processing) but I am really looking for a dynamic, wide, spacious, three-dimensional movie sound field with acute attention to detail. Being that the SSP-800's cost is nearly double that of the Cinema 12, is such a jump justified in performance? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sonic; 02-17-2013 at 12:03 PM.