AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Classe' Audio

Classe' Audio Uncompromising Audio

Old 04-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Default Classe CP-800

Hi Everyone,

(I can't really find a good place to post this, so please advise if there's another place on AA this should go)

Has anyone heard the CP-800? Looks like it recently came out, but from everything I've read (reviews, tech specs, etc.), it looks awesome. Some of the features I'm really liking are:

1. USB async 24bit up to 192Khz.
2. Pure analog preamp capability (it even turns off the digital clock in pure mode).
3. $5k MSRP -- not sure if that's current, but it's a sweet spot for this kind of unit.

Just curious about a few things though, like does it have the ability to go into Theater bypass mode (some call it Unity Gain)?

This unit could be the nail in the coffin for the McIntosh C50 and C48. Especially since they can't get the USB async working.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Music Provides Joy

I agree, it DOES look amazing. I wish Stereophile would do a review.

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 PM

I noticed there isn't a Classe area under the manufacturer's forums area. Is there not enough interest? Or is it that Classe is often considered a direct competitor to McIntosh and this is a McIntosh "friendly" forum? Not trying to start up a storm, I don't even own any classe gear...just curious.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 PM

I have had the CP-800 since last July. It's a great unit. To answer your question....any input (analog or digital) can be set up for pass through or as you call it unity gain. This will allow the unit to serve as 2 channel preamp with SSP passthrough or as a high quality USB DAC source into a preamp. It's analog preamp section for 2 channel is very capable. All analog inputs can also be configured for bypass mode to turn all digital circuitry off. Classe has made a few stand out products over last few years...I have the CT-SSP, SSP-800 and the CP-800 and would include all three in that statement. I also have the 502 DVD player but while good...The Ayre DX5 or Oppo 95 are better options for sound quality and flexibility so I can't recommend their DVD players

I would pick the Classe SSP processors over a lot of the competition out there including Mac or Krell...with respect to the CP-800, there are better sounding preamps...I have a few such as KX-R, Ref 40 and Moon 850P..but for the money and features...the CP-800 is a winner. I also have a few of their Delta amps(2200 and 3200) driving Thiel speakers...they are good quality but not comparable to Mac/ARC/Moon etc...

The ARC DSPre has a feature set similar to the CP800...although the price point is a little higher. I would check out both

Last edited by enatai252; 04-02-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:13 PM

Bryan, there are some reviews up if you do a web search. The reviews are spectacular. Terms like "gamechanger" being tossed around. I have been dying to jump into
Mac equipment now that I can finally afford to, but with all the service problems, repackaging of refurb units, and silly "mis-functions" (USB issue, complicated analog and ht bypass process, forever waiting for firmware updates, etc), seems like the gods are telling me to go elsewhere. I was going to go your way with a Marantz 7005 and a C48/50, or possibly an mx121 (can't really afford/justify the mx150), but now it looks like I will go with the Marantz 7005 or Integra 80.2 and pair it with this CP800. The CP800 is really a jack of all trades and seems to be far beyond the C50 in functionality, especially the very highly praised USB implementation and also a sub out, parametric EQ and tilt control, as well as an easy HT bypass function. Don't know how the pure preamp compares to the Mac but its been compared favorably to strong competitors. The preamps enatai says are better are far more expensive, so, as he said, the cp800 looks like a killer deal at 5k. The one thing I will miss is the front panel EQ on the C50. I was really looking forward to using that to improve older CD sq on the fly. Ok, make that two things: I do love the way the Mac looks. Oh well. Are you going to try a cp800?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:53 PM

There is a current (April '12) review at Stereotimes on the CP-800 but I guess that is just a pre and not a AV Controller.

Jim
Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 PM

Reviews of CP-800:

Hifi+: http://www.classeaudio.com/reviews/r...v-Chase_LR.pdf
StereoTimes: Welcome to the Stereo Times (scroll down until you get to CP-800)
TechRadar: Classé CP-800 preamplifier review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Amplifiers
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_bh View Post
Hi Everyone,

1. USB async 24bit up to 192Khz.
unfortunately not yet!