AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 10-21-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aercool View Post
What rectifier does Dennis recommend you use with the EL-34?
He originally indicated either 5U4 or 274B for 10 watts. Since, he seems to go with mix and match for what sounds best. I don't know about using the 5AR4 though, since that would work the power tubes harder, if I understand correctly.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:03 PM

So far the gold lion GZ34 and my full music 6SL7 sound the best with my winged C EL34. It is more of a fun sound to me, lots of drive, loads of bass, and the 6SL7 to give it a little HIFI accuracy. Cant vouch whats best for the tubes longevity however
Old 10-21-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonatsea View Post
So far the gold lion GZ34 and my full music 6SL7 sound the best with my winged C EL34. It is more of a fun sound to me, lots of drive, loads of bass, and the 6SL7 to give it a little HIFI accuracy. Cant vouch whats best for the tubes longevity however
Makes me want to circle back and try the =C= EL34 again.

I just grabbed a pair of vifa Custom dual concentric ring super tweeters from audiogon. A fairly low cost entry into the super tweeter world. They should be fun to integrate with my single driver Omegas. They start at 15hz but can be set for 15khz, 17.5khz or 20khz high pass and have selectable volume level of 0db, -3db or -6db.

Not wanting to start a debate. Most, and certainly I, cannot hear 15hz and above. From all accounts, they work more with influencing the lower frequencies some how - maybe with harmonics or something similar. I hoping to add more feeling of openness, air, etc., without more brightness. We shall see!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:51 PM

Peter - Studies have shown that even though listeners cannot hear single frequency tones above a certain point, they usually can detect a difference when those same high frequencies are removed from a musical signal containing those frequencies as higher harmonics. I think that's what you're referring to. Also I hope that you made a typo stating that you "cannot hear 15hz and above" and that you meant above 15kHz, otherwise none of this really matters! Good luck with your tweeter experiment and please share your results with us.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Peter - Studies have shown that even though listeners cannot hear single frequency tones above a certain point, they usually can detect a difference when those same high frequencies are removed from a musical signal containing those frequencies as higher harmonics. I think that's what you're referring to. Also I hope that you made a typo stating that you "cannot hear 15hz and above" and that you meant above 15kHz, otherwise none of this really matters! Good luck with your tweeter experiment and please share your results with us.
Now that was a significant typo! No wonder I like my subwoofers so much!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:09 PM

I have on order scheduled to deliver on Friday, 2 x SED Winged =C= EL-34's, Philips 5R4GYS rectifier and one of the Matsushita 7DJ8 driver tubes. Looking forward to a different tube set in my (current) TungSol 6550. The bass comments on the Winged =C= were intriguing to me as a comparison to the big bass of the vintage TungSol 6550.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aercool View Post
I have on order scheduled to deliver on Friday, 2 x SED Winged =C= EL-34's, Philips 5R4GYS rectifier and one of the Matsushita 7DJ8 driver tubes. Looking forward to a different tube set in my (current) TungSol 6550. The bass comments on the Winged =C= were intriguing to me as a comparison to the big bass of the vintage TungSol 6550.
I'll be curious about your sense of the Matsu 7DJ8. I found them a bit hard sounding, but I think I like things a bit softer than the average person.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:18 PM

Frustrating night for me with the Fire Bottles. I absolutely *love* Lucinda Williams new double CD release. Just some great blues with great musicians. Crazy good stuff. However, there's some bass energy (or something) my KT-34-6550-Pope (yep, tried 'em all tonight) that I can't seem to reproduce cleanly. Granted, I think it's some serious low frequency stuff (Disc 2, Track 1 e.g.) but still, it ought to not sound so saturated.

I've got two CD players I was flipping back and forth between (the 2.0V output Rotel RCD-1072 and the 3.0V Cary 306/200) and there didn't seem to be a difference there.

I did every combination I've got on the KT side, different drivers, rectifiers, etc. Then, I start thinking it's the vintage 5Y3G I've got on the LP-2. Nope. I put in a Bendix 6106 and it's not much different.

Anybody else love Lucinda Williams that can help me figure out if the recording is done a little on the 'hot' side? Damn. I've got myself thinking I need to find a solid state amp now. What's this world coming to?

Please help me! Is it the recording?!?
Old 10-25-2014, 12:37 AM

Hey Mark,

I love Lucinda Williams. Just discovered her a couple of months ago. I didn't see her, but she played at Salmon Stock here in Alaska in August. I caught the buzz and picked up "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road". I'd love to hear more, so I 'll see about getting her latest and see if I can check it out for you tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:34 AM

Thanks Peter!

Car Wheels is such a great recording. It's always been one of my favorites, I should have put that on last night to see how it sounded. The new one, "Down Where The Spirit Meets The Bone" is fantastic too, definitely her best release since Car Wheels. Great musicians like Bill Frisell and Greg Leisz make the vibe so cool...

I started out the listening night with Spoon's new release - and that one is definitely recorded 'hot' and has some overdrive saturation on the 1st song. Songs 2 through 4 are great, and they sounded "okay" last night.

When I flipped to the new Lucinda, it was weird. Just the week before I sat there in bliss listening through. Not sure if I had it turned up too loud or ???

For my sanity and a speaker check to make sure something wasn't blown out there, I put on the Cowboy Junkies "Lay It Down" which has some great deep bass on the 3 or 4 tracks. Sounded fine.

What's also kinda cool is the new Lucinda CD was recorded in HDCD. I didn't know anyone was doing that anymore other than the archive releases from the Grateful Dead. Always a little bonus when the HDCD light illuminates.

Last edited by Aercool; 10-25-2014 at 07:38 AM.