AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico26 View Post
Delivery date confirmed by the end of the next week! ;-)
Congrats V. So the Dev audition will be sooner
Let me know what you think.

Am rediscovering my Toys with Dev170. By the way I have you to thank for since you mentioned them in your post
Old 01-17-2014, 09:17 AM

Not at all Chaq, I didnt know Devialet exists a few moths ago, either. Did you buy a new one, or a demo unit? Do your toy towers sound better now? Isnt the sound too clinical (clean but not musical)? Would you install it on your wall ( I will, because of my kids and the display situated on the top). Any photos?

What is your source? I use mac mini with Audirvana 1.5...
V.

PS: BTW which country are you from?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:54 PM

Those who have been at my place have probably noticed I have a some what different listening pose. I have never leaned back in my sofa even though this is way more comfortable. Instead I have always been leaning forward with elbows on my lap.
So today I brought out the XTZ room analyzer again to test the two positions.
This is what the bass curve looks like. The yellow line is representing my "forward" listening position and the blue line leaning back.

And this is the result when sweeping from 20 to 20 000 Hz. Green is the result from the normal listening position.

This explains to me why I have always been sitting slightly forward. Always trust your ears
Old 01-20-2014, 09:20 PM

Bigblue, could you do me a favor and confirm the width at the widest point at the top of your IIIs? The specs on the Sumiko site indicate 15.9" wide, but I saw them in Denver and don't remember thinking they were that wide at the time. I'm wondering of the specs quoted are for the outriggers or the actual speaker. Unfortunately my dealer doesn't have them in yet.
Thanks
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM

Antonmb, the measurement (15,9) is including the outriggers. The actual speaker is 10 inches wide. Hope it helps.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM

Any progress with heidmall cables, Bigblue?
V.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
Antonmb, the measurement (15,9) is including the outriggers. The actual speaker is 10 inches wide. Hope it helps.
That's a big help, thanks. They're on my short list and the narrower profile makes them a better choice for my room.

Tony
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Any progress with heidmall cables, Bigblue?
V.
Unfortunately not. Still waiting for them to arrive. But when they arrive they should be ready to go as they have been treated with Vidar.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Not at all Chaq, I didnt know Devialet exists a few moths ago, either. Did you buy a new one, or a demo unit? Do your toy towers sound better now? Isnt the sound too clinical (clean but not musical)? Would you install it on your wall ( I will, because of my kids and the display situated on the top). Any photos?

What is your source? I use mac mini with Audirvana 1.5...
V.

PS: BTW which country are you from?
Hey V. Sorry for not replying earlier. The whole family was sick.
I got a new Dev. They make the Toy sound clearer, more capable but ya maybe a little clinical. Don't know how it will be with the O3s. I would love to hang it on the wall but this way it will be an invitation for my kid to smack it and break it. Hehe.
Am playing directly from my desktop through the ethernet.

Am from Syria originally but have been living in Dubai for the past 25 years.

Did you get the O3s yet?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
bigblue...congrats once again! Also looking forward to hearing your thoughts as the speaker more fully break-in. By the way, just as an aside, have you tried listening without the glass table in between the listening position and the speakers (or at least covering the table with a blanket or other dampening material)? The general rule is to not have any reflective surfaces such as glass in between speaker and seated position as you will likely have a less lively and more resolving sonic outcome that way. Just a thought.
cmalak, I now have had some time to see what the glass table ad to the equation. I turns out that I could cut down the range from 300-700 Hz by 3-4 dB by placing some sofa pillows on it. And when placing some absorption between the speakers, covering the tv, the dip around 250 Hz was reduced by another 3-4 dB. This last finding I can't explain but for some reason it helped the cancellation in that freq. This is what it looks like after the tweaks. I have also moved the speakers back a bit. The baffle is now 89 cm from the front wall (there has been some complaints about the intrusive positioning in the livingroom .