AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 07-26-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
I dunno. A used pair of Khorns can be picked up well under $2K if you are patient and spread your net well. Yes they are big, but tucked in the corners, they take up less space than one might expect. Also, there is Great Plains Audio....

https://greatplainsaudio.com/products/

A pair of new 604s will also run around $2K and can be built into the enclosures of your choice. I have two pair of the Altec 604s, one set in open baffles, and the other set in slightly modified Altec 828 cabinets. Both sets sound great.

Both the Khorns and 604s are well north of 100 db/w/m and a 45 SET amp will give you plenty of volume for your listening needs.

I'm glad Beetlebum likes his 45. Personally I think you all are missing the boat if you ignore the flea powered triode amps......
Agree 100%. You must pair flea power with 100 db/w/m or so to get scale and dynamics.

Beetlebum should be fine with his Klipsch. He may want to try some Supra 1.6 wire with them. $28 shipped will get enough wire for a pair of speakers.

There is what appears to be a fine pair of GPA 604's in nice cabinets on the auction site for a decent asking price/OBO that are close to me. I go listen if I had room for them. I won't 'cause I'd take them home.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 07-26-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Dennis has been pushing his new Proac DT8s with the 45s he has been selling of late and is very excited by the pairing. He tends to listen at moderate levels and unless he has changed his equipment he has a lp-3a pushing them 45s into the DT8s which does push harder than the 27a. They are listed at 90 db @... but that will fool you. They are driven very well with tube amps. Their listing of 20W min to drive them is based on ss amps. I have been pushing my pair with 6f6g @ 4W/ch and am very happy. Albeit not to concert levels but much louder than my wife will accept.
Nice ... What is the nominal impedance of the DT8's? Do you know if a lower nominal impedance (i.e., 4 Ohms) is better for tube amps than higher values? Thanks for your informed reply.

Edit: Checked the specs. Me thinks the cabinet's dimensions are too narrow for acoustic power and expansion, but I'm probably wrong. The price is about double the avg offerings (UK's labor cost). 90 dB's not that high, but 4 Ohms may help. I still need an answer about the 4 Ohms vs 8 Ohms impedance factor with tube amps.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 07-26-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Dennis has been pushing his new Proac DT8s with the 45s he has been selling of late and is very excited by the pairing. He tends to listen at moderate levels and unless he has changed his equipment he has a lp-3a pushing them 45s into the DT8s which does push harder than the 27a. They are listed at 90 db @... but that will fool you. They are driven very well with tube amps. Their listing of 20W min to drive them is based on ss amps. I have been pushing my pair with 6f6g @ 4W/ch and am very happy. Albeit not to concert levels but much louder than my wife will accept.
Important point. Once again, other factors involved outside of just selecting the right speakers alone that can positively or negatively impact the overall results. You could have great speakers, and the wrong preamp, and never know your speakers would have been okay if you had the proper/matching preamp. This is why our local dealers allow us to demo gear, and others have a 45 day return policy. If they did not, they'd probably sell a lot less gear, fwiw.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Nice ... What is the nominal impedance of the DT8's? Do you know if a lower nominal impedance (i.e., 4 Ohms) is better for tube amps than higher values? Thanks for your informed reply.
From the specs: 4 ohm 90db
Old 07-26-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
That is an interesting pairing with a 45 amp. Not only does 90db at 4 ohms not sound like a great candidate, ProAc towers have typically measured at less than spec on sensitivity. Their D28 tower was spec'ed at 88.5db and measured at 84.6. I believe their earlier D25 tower measured even lower. Their Response 1S monitor measured at 85db. So they have traditionally been a low efficiency speaker.

I've listened to a couple of ProAcs and generally liked them. Nice smooth sound.

Another British lower efficiency speaker manufacturer is Harbeth. Their speakers sound so clean and undistorted. But they LOVE power. Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRMR9JZ1m0s

Note that the Harbeth 40.1 featured in the video, drawing up to 750w, has been measured at 84.5db. By comparison a 100db speaker would only need 22 watts to reach the same volume level.

Right now I am powering my Von Schweikert towers (92db) with my little Inspire EL84 amp (4 wpc). I hadn't tried this combination since moving into a much smaller listening space (600sf down to 230sf). As long as I keep volume levels reasonable and don't drive deep bass levels too hard, they sound pretty good. Vocals and midrange very nice. Maybe I'll stick with this combo for a few days to see how it wears on me.

Last edited by Bombadil; 07-26-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I can't find a speaker to go with a flea-watt triode amp. I've listened to many Klipsch, Altec, JBL, Omega, Tekton, and others and none of them do it for me. I tend to like speakers which have excellent definition, clarity, and imaging. Well, I guess I've heard some $30,000+ higher efficiency speakers which I liked, but haven't been willing to pop for that much. To my way of thinking the speaker is the keystone to one's entire system. You find the speaker which appeals to you and build your system around it.

Two modern speakers which I like a lot are the Magico S5 II and the B&W 802D3. Very tight, very clean and non-bloated bass, great imaging. I find them thrilling to listen to. The Magico was measured at 87.5db and the B&W at 91. I wouldn't pair either with a flea watt triode. I might try to drive the 802D3 with an Inspire KT150 mono, perhaps not for all types of music in all rooms, but for when listening at moderate levels.

There is a Von Schweikert massive tower VR-9SE Mk 2 which has been measured at 96db and sounds fantastic. I'd like to hear it with a great flea watt. But as this speaker sells for $118,000, that's way, way out of my price range.

I've yet to have a chance to listen to a low watt triode driving speakers which I really like.
With all of the usual clarifications applying (my ears, my room, my system, etc.):

For me, the Klipsch Chorus II's with new crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms are the best sounding speakers I have owned over my 20+ years in this hobby, and I've got around $1,000 in to them all total.

I've done the low powered SET/high efficiency speaker setup previously but did not enjoy the performance no where like I do now. Probably due to my lack of knowledge, room, components, etc. at the time.

Now, Dennis' 45 Inspire amp mated with these Chorus II's provide me with startling dynamics, sweet extended highs, detailed and full bass, and fleshy midrange. Almost a three dimensional experience for lack of a better term.

And I get to deal with a really great fellow!

Tim
Old 07-26-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlebum View Post
With all of the usual clarifications applying (my ears, my room, my system, etc.):

For me, the Klipsch Chorus II's with new crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms are the best sounding speakers I have owned over my 20+ years in this hobby, and I've got around $1,000 in to them all total.

I've done the low powered SET/high efficiency speaker setup previously but did not enjoy the performance no where like I do now. Probably due to my lack of knowledge, room, components, etc. at the time.

Now, Dennis' 45 Inspire amp mated with these Chorus II's provide me with startling dynamics, sweet extended highs, detailed and full bass, and fleshy midrange. Almost a three dimensional experience for lack of a better term.

And I get to deal with a really great fellow!

Tim
Believe it or not, you have just begun to scratch the surface of the possibilities....
Old 07-26-2018, 05:13 PM

AA,

Please tell me more!
Old 07-26-2018, 05:32 PM

Great info!! I think I'll be trying some vintage Klipsch in the future with my KT150 Hotrod.

I love the sound with my current speakers, but the bass is just not there for rocking out (Seas A26 88db). I'm missing that deep room filling bass on Zep II RL and DSOTM. I was gravitating toward lighter music, till I hooked up my old Pioneer SX-880. That Pioneer reminded me of what I was missing in the bass, but then I lost the sweet tube sound
Old 07-26-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post

Edit: Checked the specs. Me thinks the cabinet's dimensions are too narrow for acoustic power and expansion, but I'm probably wrong. The price is about double the avg offerings (UK's labor cost). 90 dB's not that high, but 4 Ohms may help. I still need an answer about the 4 Ohms vs 8 Ohms impedance factor with tube amps.

Cannot really answer your question about Ohms. Electrical theory was always my week point in school. FWIW The 4way speakers DH has in the shop that he designed and voiced many Inspires, but not the latest Universals on, are 2 Ohm speakers.

I did get this note from Dennis earlier today:

“I had the visiting fellow from Tampa over to listen to the ProAc’s and the flee power!!! I am building him a 45 to ship on Monday and he ordered a pair of the DT-8’s from John (Ruttan from Audio Connection in NJ).”

I’m listening to my DT8s right now and they are something special. I have not been able to get the most out of them in that I am in temporary digs and my front end equipment is very lacking. I’m pushing them with 6v6gs in my KT amp (SEP. In a couple months when I get back to my permanent residence and populate my source components properly i plan to really spend so time doing some listening to the Proacs.