AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 12-21-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Have you tried streaming from the BDP to the OPPO using the Bryston software leaving Room out of it to verify you are getting USB output and that maybe it is a software setting?
No, but I'll try that. thanks.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
I also have an Oppo 205/ SP3 combo. I much prefer the DAC in the Oppo to that in the SP3.

The way I see it this should not be a surprise. The SP3 is like 7 or more years old technology. Digital changes very rapidly and in those years DAC technology has changed quite a bit.

If playing CDs or Tidal (using Roon) via the Oppo, I let the Oppo do the D/A conversion and feed the SP3 an analog signal from the Oppo into the balanced input of the SP3. Then I do the 2-ch bypass in the SP3.
I have heard different. Maybe you just prefer the D/A converter on the Oppo. It wasn't better to me, just different. And, I preferred the sound of the SP3. Its all subjective though.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I have heard different. Maybe you just prefer the D/A converter on the Oppo. It wasn't better to me, just different. And, I preferred the sound of the SP3. Its all subjective though.

I have a fair number of DSD recordings. The DAC in the SP3 cannot do native DSD. The DAC in the Oppo does. Not to mention the different filters available in the Oppo that the SP3 does not have. Objectively the DAC of the Oppo is more advanced than the one in the SP3. But I can understand that subjectively one can still prefer the SP3 over the Oppo.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:30 PM

I don't have the time or the inclination right now to sort out which is "better". I'll settle for whatever gives me full MQA, until I decide otherwise. But the SP3 is sounding very good right now after listening to the OPPO for a couple months. However, I made some tweaks to my setup lately as well, so that may be it.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
I have a fair number of DSD recordings. The DAC in the SP3 cannot do native DSD. The DAC in the Oppo does. Not to mention the different filters available in the Oppo that the SP3 does not have. Objectively the DAC of the Oppo is more advanced than the one in the SP3. But I can understand that subjectively one can still prefer the SP3 over the Oppo.
I, too, have a fair number of native DSD recordings. This is why I purchased the BDA-3. I use the SP-3 for movies and surround music. SACD although downgraded to 176.24 PCM sounds excellent in 5.1 through the SP3. So do movies. And, 5.1 or 7.1 PCM @ 192.24 sounds excellent as well. Two channel DSD sounds excellent through the BDA-3, and you simply cannot get this level of performance from the Oppo Swiss army knife blu-ray player vs. a well designed D/A converter doing one task.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:03 PM

Default Why won't my BDP3 play with my Oppo205?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I think that's a bit disingenuous. The Oppo 205 complies with USB Audio Class 2.0 protocols which makes it pretty much a standard - runs without any drivers on any new Mac OS and Linux OS distribution.

So it is up to the Linux distribution on the Bryston player to have that "standard" driver installed and enabled not Oppo.

I would like to know Bryston’s position on this. Is a driver missing from their BDP OS?
Is it guaranteed to work with a Bryston DAC?

Has anyone got BDP USB output fully working with another non-Bryston DAC?

Last edited by Stefan_DR3; 02-03-2019 at 09:42 PM.