AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 03-19-2019, 05:49 AM

Default The Absolute Sound digital subscription

I paid for TAS digital version from
Www.nextnewsstand.com which is official.
But now it is just a blank web page.

What happen to this service ?
Where can I subscribe to TAS digital this time ?
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:42 AM

I made it, had to go to print edition subscription first, if click straight to digital subscription it will link to dead nextnewsstand page.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:15 PM

Also had problems with that, took me a while to get my subscriber number from TAS website. (TAS website did not recognize my nextnewsstand subscription at first)

Now reading January/February/March and April edition, lot of reading :-)
Old 03-19-2019, 06:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Sounds just like TAS to me. TAS will often recommend in their "Years Best" annuals equipment, cables, etc. that are out of production and no longer available and/or recommend gear they have not actually reviewed. Not to mention that many articles are poor written and littered with typographical and grammatical errors. The "editorial" direction and quality of that publication is very poor, IMO.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Sounds just like TAS to me. TAS will often recommend in their "Years Best" annuals equipment, cables, etc. that are out of production and no longer available and/or recommend gear they have not actually reviewed. Not to mention that many articles are poor written and littered with typographical and grammatical errors. The "editorial" direction and quality of that publication is very poor, IMO.

I had endless problems with their iOS app. I finally gave up my subscription last year, not entirely because of their amateurish digital service, but also because of the poor writing and editing, and the incredible bias towards specific technologies like MQA. I have no problem with MQA and those who enjoy it, but the fan-boy editorializing that touted MQA in every other issue as the greatest thing in audio since the Edison recorder got to be too much for me. And yes, their annual equipment guides are mostly useless gloss.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-20-2019, 02:41 AM

I think everything reviewed will appeared in recommended component, editor choices.. blah blah. I read it because I want to know what is new in the industries. And 12$ a year is just very cheap.

Toga
Old 03-20-2019, 03:17 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I had endless problems with their iOS app. I finally gave up my subscription last year, not entirely because of their amateurish digital service, but also because of the poor writing and editing, and the incredible bias towards specific technologies like MQA. I have no problem with MQA and those who enjoy it, but the fan-boy editorializing that touted MQA in every other issue as the greatest thing in audio since the Edison recorder got to be too much for me. And yes, their annual equipment guides are mostly useless gloss.
IMHO, MQA is yet another rip-off propelled by Meridian and the recording licensing industry to get us to buy the same content, all over...again, not for the first, or second, but *sixth* time (LP, Redbook, XRCD, DSD, HDCD, now MQA).

This article by Linn sums it up nicely and most importantly, accurately.

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-20-2019 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
IMHO, MQA is yet another rip-off propelled by Meridian and the recording licensing industry to get us to buy the same content, all over...again, not for the first, or second, but *sixth* time (LP, Redbook, XRCD, DSD, HDCD, now MQA).

This article by Linn sums it up nicely and most importantly, accurately.

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music
+1
Old 03-23-2019, 02:18 AM
Cool, calm scientist

BTW, I've been on TAS' Facebook page and there are number of customers that, like Toga, have paid for digital subscriptions on TAS' subscription portal and cannot download their paid-for issues. These folks have contacted TAS via their Facebook page a number of times and have not received a response.

I wonder if TAS realizes that to charge someone for something, like a publication, and not deliver it, is internet fraud.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:19 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
I made it, had to go to print edition subscription first, if click straight to digital subscription it will link to dead nextnewsstand page.
Toga,
Did you pay for a print subscription or digital issue subscription?