AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Tannoy Speakers

Tannoy Speakers Over 80 Years of Audio Invention

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2015, 06:22 PM

Default Tannoy Westminster SE

Had the chance to listen to a pair of Tannoy Westminster SE's recently & just loved them.

They were not optimally set-up- see photo, the power amp was a Plinius SA250 MKIV, an amp I've never liked - I find it etched & overly forward in most systems (the MKII sounded much better IMHO being more laid back), pre-amp was an Einstein Preamplifier Archive - Einstein Audio Components GmbH a Pre-Amp I've heard about but hadn't listen too- the pre-amps 19, yes 18 E88CC/6922 dual-triode tubes and one ECC82/12AU7 dual-triode.throw off almost as much heat as a pair of 845 Tubes!

The pre-amp was favourably reviewed by Stereophile Einstein Audio Components The Tube Mk.II preamplifier | Stereophile.com

The CD Player was a Sony PlayStation 3- oh dear. The owner was awaiting delivery of a new Brinkman Turntable to add to his Kuzma 4 point tonearm & he was undecided about what cartridge to buy- but was leaning to an Ortofon Cadenza Black.

Despite the sub-optimum speaker placement, a pre-amp I've never heard, a power amp I don't like & a TV game machine used as a CD Player- the Westminster's were just magical.

The music they produced was just beguiling. Being an audiophile, Im in love with female vocals- the Westminster had a way of spotlighting the voice, but from within if that makes sense. One of my test tracks is ' Leaf from a Tree' by Mary Coughlan off her fabulous album 'Uncertain Pleasures' Uncertain Pleasures - Mary Coughlan | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

Even on ordinary systems, this song makes be all gooey- on the Westminster's- it was like she was whispering in my ear- her lips brushing my cheek- STOP IT NICK!

Listening to Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu 'Gurrumul' http://www.allmusic.com/album/gurrumul-mw0001197692- especially the opening track 'Wiyathul' made me cry-& I don't understand a word of Gälpu, Gumatj or Djambarrpuynu which are the languages his sings in.

The session was for just 2 hours-seemed like 2 minutes- the Westminster's just sang beautifully. I didn't want to leave.

I love my Tannoy Canterbury's- but if I had the room to fit the Westminster's- its a no-brainer & would be my last speaker purchase.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATannoyIMG_1470.jpg (90.6 KB, 534 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 02-26-2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Enlarge photo.